85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what it boils down to for me when you have three deco bottles on your left side you need to keep them neat.

You know, if you went to the left lean/right rich method having 3 on one side wouldn't be a concern. :)

You know, if you went to the left lean/right rich method having 3 on one side wouldn't be a concern. :)

Right rich, left lean, middle mmm... I'm drawing a blank.

Righter richer?

Ok but can we get the answer to my off topic issue of balancing my rig first. Then we can go more off topic and argue how to carry our deco tanks. :popcorn:

As I've said several times in the thread, the system I use works well for me and for the type of diving that I do. I'm not the one advocating other people to change their system to match mine

Incidentally I still check the MOD markings during switches, and I still confirm that I have the right reg in my mouth, even though I use r/r l/l. But it's a confirmation rather than a required step

It's like being with a beautiful woman (team) but deciding to just get yourself off (solo)

That's a pretty terrible analogy... based on that, instead of sucking on my own regulator, I'd get my buddy to do it for me :D

But, I take your point - utilise the resources that are there in their most effective manner. That's team diving. My SMB is a resource, I use it. My buddy to me is someone to go diving with and a backup - like the support divers or the spare stage bottles on the boat. I only use them if/when I need to use them. I practice doing everything myself when I don't need to, so I know I can do it if I do

Not everyone follows DIR/GUE/UTD and nor should they

Right rich, left lean, middle mmm... I'm drawing a blank.

Righter richer?

Cross body. Right upper D-ring to left hip D-ring. Don't worry about the long hose trapping issue. If you need to donate, hand off that deco reg, but make sure you left the valve on. If it leaks you'll be able to see the bubbles. (I learned that in another recent thread, never realized how quickly it would come in useful.)

That's a pretty terrible analogy... based on that, instead of sucking on my own regulator, I'd get my buddy to do it for me :D

Careful what you wish for. That's been done as a joke over on TDS before...

Well, I guess I could hang both stage bottles on my left side... increasing the chances of switching to the wrong one, which are currently about zero... and forcing me to check the MOD, that I've turned on the correct valve & have the correct second stage in my hand, and getting my buddy to double check for me

Yeah, that sounds like a huge improvement :shakehead:

If I was using 3 or more stages, or in overhead with a can light, then yeah sure. But in open water, with good vis, doing gas switches at 21m and 6m? Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be

See, I knew this thread was worthwhile... only 40 pages in and it's already produced 1 new member profile

Well, I guess I could hang both stage bottles on my left side... increasing the chances of switching to the wrong one, which are currently about zero... and forcing me to check the MOD, that I've turned on the correct valve & have the correct second stage in my hand, and getting my buddy to double check for me

Yeah, that sounds like a huge improvement :shakehead:

If I was using 3 or more stages, or in overhead with a can light, then yeah sure. But in open water, with good vis, doing gas switches at 21m and 6m? Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be

It's really not complicated at all.

I personally value a consistent approach. Knowing me, if I started changing up my methodology according to the dive profile (e.g. two bottles = one per side but three = something else with entirely different switching protocol) I'd likely make a potentially fatal error. Instead, I use the same system regardless of what I'm carrying.

One bottle? Sling charged/off bottle from the left, read MOD and analysis label, verify MOD with buddy, deploy hose, test purge and observe gauge dropping, turn valve on, test purge and gauge maintaining pressure, swap regs and clip off primary.

Takes all of about 20 seconds.

Two bottles? Sling charged/off bottles from the left, read MOD and analysis label, verify MOD with buddy, deploy hose, test purge and observe gauge dropping, turn valve on, test purge and gauge maintaining pressure, swap regs and clip off primary. Next gas switch, same procedure.

More and more bottles may involve a leash and moving them around, but always to the left, allowing the same switching procedure (but note I'm not doing 3+ bottle dives)

It works for me, and I have confidence in the system. Like I said, if I did it one way for one bottle and a different way for two or more, I'd likely screw up. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom