85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, unlike you, I appear able to do the ascent without relying one someone else, while also knowing how and being able to make use of team resources when present. IJS.

Seriously, how bad of a diver does one have to be to fear getting uplines tangled? And why shoot two if you're planning to stick together? And the whole "I can't be bothered to watch my buddy switch" thing is beyond me.

teamwork-motivational-poster.jpg

Does it really matter how neatly you stow the hose on the 50% bottle? In a cave, where you might have to swim through some tight areas to get out, then I can see worrying about it. But in my tech class, the instructor basically said not to worry about perfect stowing, because it just isn't critical. In warm water, where I have hands, I'd probably take the time to get the reg under both bands, but in cold . . . ?

Does it really matter how neatly you stow the hose on the 50% bottle? In a cave, where you might have to swim through some tight areas to get out, then I can see worrying about it. But in my tech class, the instructor basically said not to worry about perfect stowing, because it just isn't critical. In warm water, where I have hands, I'd probably take the time to get the reg under both bands, but in cold . . . ?

Probably not. But for me it's just a matter of principle. Doing things right, even when it's not necessary builds good habits IMO. Once you find an excuse not to execute something perfectly, you keep finding them.

- I don't need to stow this reg, I'm in OW it doesnt matter.

- I don't need to run a primary, this is a high flow cave.

- I know this cave like the back of my hand, visual jumps are ok.

I didn't mean to imply that I spent a lot of time on it - rainer's estimate was about right, maybe 20-30 seconds - in warm water that's enough time to tuck it neatly under both bands, mouthpiece under the hose and SPG turned inwards

I haven't heard anyone mention a reason to watch my buddy do it though, or to only use one upline, or to hand off my reel

I haven't heard anyone mention a reason to watch my buddy do it though, or to only use one upline, or to hand off my reel

You watch your buddy during the gas switch to make sure it goes smoothly. You both verify they are switching to the correct gas, that there is no problem with the gas delivery or there is no unexpected effect going back to a high PO2 gas. Gas switches are among the most dangerous times for tech divers.

Why use more than one upline? If you're team diving, you both stay together with the one. If one line breaks, gets away from you, or whatever then your buddy still has his as backup. Typically we use a second SMB as a signal to surface support that there is a problem. One bag, everyone is drifting together. Multiple bags, there is a problem, we need assistance, send someone down to check on us.

Thanks. All valid reasons. But I don't team dive, I dive independently with a buddy. I will watch my buddy to see if he has any problems, but unless he needs my help with something unusual, he can do everything for himself, the same as I can. I check my own gas before and after the switch, even though we're only carrying two stages and it's left/lean right/rich so we always go to the left for the first switch

Why not use one upline each? It's easier for the boat to see us, we both have a reference for stops, and I have something to clip my stage to when I swap gas. As for communication with the surface, that's just a matter of what they're expecting to see. If they expect to see two balloons & only one balloon pops, there's a problem. We both carry two SMBs, if we need gas or someone to come down or whatever, I write a note and send it up with my spare SMB. We practice this with the boat from time to time, getting them to drop down a spare stage for example

I think the point is that you should have a system, a method of doing things, that is consistent within your group of divers. We have one, you have one; I don't see any need for mine to be the same as yours any more than I want you to change yours, Having said that, if I learn of a good process, I'll discuss with with my buddy & if we think it's worthwhile we'll trial it

I don't appreciate some smartass "just sayin" that I should change the way I do things without giving any reasons why and calling me a bad diver because I don't watch my buddy stow his stage reg hose or hold his reel for him while he does it

As for communication with the surface, that's just a matter of what they're expecting to see.

Absolutely. Around here, I think most captains would start getting worried if a pair of divers shot two bags. It's important to discuss these things with the surface crew, no doubt about it.

The way I look at it is this:

Not a one of us is perfect. If you dive enough, it's not a matter of if you'll make a mistake, it's a matter of when.

So my goal is to strive to be perfect and do everything right (dictionary definition, not in the "DIR" sense) according to my training and experience. That way when I do screw up, everything else is how I expect it to be.

If your procedures are to let the correct reg hang down on the stop before the switch, do that... every time. If it's to stow the reg under one strap (that's what I do), do that... every time. Etc..

But I don't team dive, I dive independently with a buddy

Diving with a buddy but not as part of a team is just not making good use of resources IMO.

It's like being with a beautiful woman (team) but deciding to just get yourself off (solo). Just because you *can* do something independently doesn't mean it's the best option when you have good company.

I know my preference.

As CD and Blackwood nicely discussed, it's about attitude and approach to your diving at large. I'd rather aim high and live with less than perfection than to be lazy and get bit in the ass at some point down the road. It's not as if stowing hoses is a terribly hard task given a modicum of practice. Once you start adding more bottles, having old ones cleaned up just makes life easier. Take the time to practice and the extra few seconds in the water to get things at least tidied up. In any case, one band is fine when restowing the hose (the second is really just to keep you from clipping the bolt snap through the hose loop). :)

Once you start adding more bottles, having old ones cleaned up just makes life easier.

That's what it boils down to for me when you have three deco bottles on your left side you need to keep them neat.

Back
Top Bottom