85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So was this thread really only supposed to be a back slapping thread where everybody told you how great you were for going that deep on air?

Yes that's right; it's a well-known fact that the most effective way to achieve the admiration of scubaboard.com members at large is to post a deep air thread

go Tortuga68! :holysheep::luxhello:

See, I knew this thread was worthwhile... only 40 pages in and it's already produced 1 new member profile

And ahieved the "admiiration of scubaboard.com members" (well, at least one)
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Well, I guess I could hang both stage bottles on my left side... increasing the chances of switching to the wrong one, which are currently about zero... and forcing me to check the MOD, that I've turned on the correct valve & have the correct second stage in my hand, and getting my buddy to double check for me

Yeah, that sounds like a huge improvement :shakehead:

If I was using 3 or more stages, or in overhead with a can light, then yeah sure. But in open water, with good vis, doing gas switches at 21m and 6m? Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be

Well first if you decide to ever do a three gas switch dive with a can light then you will be well practiced. Plus it really is not hard it took all of two dives and I didn't even notice they where there. I have seen guys doing 260' dives with two deco gases and when asked why two instead of three gases the answer was three bottle's was to hard to carry!!! :confused:

Well first if you decide to ever do a three gas switch dive with a can light then you will be well practiced. Plus it really is not hard it took all of two dives and I didn't even notice they where there

I understand the point about consistency but if it only takes two dives to get used to it then it doesn't need to be practised on dives where you're only carrying two bottles... At this point the only way I forsee myself doing a three gas switch dive is on trimix, which means I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice during my trimix course. SImilarly if I decide to take up cave diving, I'll need to do the certs first

As I mentioned earlier, I do check the MOD markings just in case I managed to put the wrong tank on the wrong side somehow (check them before the dive as well so it shouldn't happen) and I will sometimes check that I've got the correct second stage although it's almost impossoble not to when slinging left/right

I'm back in the Philippines now and will be doing some diving next weekend... I might try both stages on the left on one dive and see how it goes, but frankly I don't see any need to start doing it all the time, I think the potential complications outweigh the benefit of practice. One of the tenets of DIR is simplicity, no?

So, if you read about a diver in Puerto Galera oxtoxing on O2 at 21m, you only have yourselves to blame! :p

I understand the point about consistency but if it only takes two dives to get used to it then it doesn't need to be practised on dives where you're only carrying two bottles... At this point the only way I forsee myself doing a three gas switch dive is on trimix, which means I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice during my trimix course. SImilarly if I decide to take up cave diving, I'll need to do the certs first

As I mentioned earlier, I do check the MOD markings just in case I managed to put the wrong tank on the wrong side somehow (check them before the dive as well so it shouldn't happen) and I will sometimes check that I've got the correct second stage although it's almost impossoble not to when slinging left/right

I'm back in the Philippines now and will be doing some diving next weekend... I might try both stages on the left on one dive and see how it goes, but frankly I don't see any need to start doing it all the time, I think the potential complications outweigh the benefit of practice. One of the tenets of DIR is simplicity, no?

So, if you read about a diver in Puerto Galera oxtoxing on O2 at 21m, you only have yourselves to blame! :p

Sharing air would be very different also with tanks on both sides. I will not try and tell you my way is better. The main thing I try to do is dive the same way every time. If I go dive a 70' wreck I will look the same as if I was diving 260' but without the deco tanks. The only time it changes is went teaching class for OW. Things become second nature you just don't need to think about where things are.

Agreed, consistency is good and builds habit. My processes & equipment are consistent for OW deco dives. Should I change that to allow me to use three or more stages, something that I may never do? There are arguments for both

Can consistency can be taken too far, and prevent you from having the ideal setup for different conditions?

Sharing air would be very different also with tanks on both sides

Can you explain how it would be different? My long hose routes under the end of the right stage bottle (outside the clip), much as it would with a can light, so deployment is essentially the same

Can you explain how it would be different? My long hose routes under the end of the right stage bottle (outside the clip), much as it would with a can light, so deployment is essentially the same

So you are saying getting your long hose around an AL80 and a can light are the same?

So you are saying getting your long hose around an AL80 and a can light are the same?

No, what I'm saying is can you explain your comment that "sharing air would be very different also with tanks on both sides"

I use AL40 stages BTW

Hi all,

I did a lovely 85m air dive at Verde Island, Puerto Galera in the Philippines earlier this month, after workups of 45m (fish bowl), 55m (abyss), 65m (secret reef) and 75m (joshua's wall). With a bungeed OMS wing. It also had 94# lift and a redundant bladder

Run time was 41 minutes with 8 minutes bottom time, deco on 50% (21m) and 100% (6m), with support divers at 40m with spare stages, plus more on the boat

Nice to be able to deco on the wall and see some fish/coral instead of blue water for a change :) we didn't pop SMBs until 6m

I would've posted this in the Tech forum but didn't see where it would fit

As far as I can tell I don't appear to be dead yet, YMMV

Happy diving

PS Don't do this, it exceeds PP02 limits

You don't know some basics all the PADI friends know.
You die after 18 meter if you don't have the AOW
you die at 30 meter if you don't have the deep diver certificate.
And lower than 40 meter is nothing to see.....only after you pay big $$$$ for Padi you are allowed to go there...

Everyone on air dies immediately at 41 meter, because the followers of the PADI religion beat you to death for not believing their holy book.

Take care, good luck and ignore the angry postings.....I for myself can take my own judgment and don't need any commercial company telling me how deep I am allowed to dive/or that I am not allowed to dive alone.

Back
Top Bottom