A biased opinion on Costa Rica - assistance in planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to the Manuel Antonio area next week. I'm thinking of doing a days worth of diving while I'm there. Any sugestions on dive operators, dive sites, etc. in that area?

Thanks for the info Chris. Which has the better dive sites, in your opinion? Also how long of a drive (we're renting) from Quepos to Herradura?

Hmmm,

if i answere you as businessman i would say We have tha better divesites,
if i answere you as a friend i have to say that you should dive in Manuel Antonio because it's nearer.

Just kidding ...

I never dove in Manual Antonio but i guess that the world underwather there is similar to ours here.
I know that Ocean Unlimited is a well know Dive Operator and i heard good things from satisfied cusomers who dove with them.

If you invest some more Money and a 2 hour ride to Isla del Caño, you will dive the best location in whole Costa Rica (except Isla del Coco naturally)
Check my Photoalbum, most of them where shot there.

Best regards

Chris

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but after 8 dives at the Catalinas, stayed at Flamingo Marina resort for 8 days, and then 4 days in at Arenal volcano in-land, I don't think we'll go back to costa Rica.

Don't get me wrong, beautiful country, "good" diving but not great, there are just "Better" places to go. We liked our trip, but depending on what you're wanting to see I still prefer carribean diving better. LOTS of nudibranchs, but very few corals. 30 foot viz, we did see 3 mata rays for about 8 seconds each, no sharks, some big schools of jacks and trevalys, but the barren volcanic rock structure and cold water just wasn't my thing, and I'm used to Seattle Puget Sound diving, so I'm used to low viz and cold water. 8 dives in CR was enough to see the same stuff again and again. Your milage may vary. The zip line canopy tours were fun, but wouldn't do it again. ATV and horse back riding on the beach was fun. Inland waterfall rapelling was a blast at Arenal, and tons of birds to see in the trees.

Back to Roatan Honduras again for our next trip. Just my opinion, CR was great, but wouldn't go back there again.

As someone that recently has gotten into diving I cannot speak to the diving in CR, but my wife and I did 10 days of surface adventure in CR and the only complaint was we did not have enough time!

There are few places on earth for the diversity and sheer beauty of surface adventure than Costa Rica!

I 100% agree with AquaExplorer.

Costa Rica is the only tropical country under (almost) the equator where you can travel around by your self
without any hassle, like travelling around in the States or in Europe.

The diversity of Costa Rica is unique, 4 different clima zones, 2 seas,
12'000 feet mountains, pristin beaches and the incredible flora and fauna, just to name a few.

This makes Costa Rica such a attracting country, the endless list of attractions - from trecking in a primary rainforest to diving,
guarantees that everybody would find his personal attractions here.

For shure, the diversity is not so big in both of the oceans, but especially the pacific attracts divers who want to see big fishes.
We spottet daily manta mays for almost 3 month, white tip sharks daily, sting rays, eagle and devil rays often.
Sometimes we see seahorses, clown shrimps, a huge 200 pound gouper and lots, lots more.
Huge schools of dolfins and sometimes whales accompany our boatrides to the dive spots or while diving we can hear the whales singing.
Diving the pacific side of Costa Rica means: expect the unexpected!

After 4 months (of a very weak season) i saw only satisfied and happy faces coming back from the dives,
and this shows me that diving here and with us makes our customers happy.
And that is the best gain that a dive shop can have!

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. If I get a chance, I'll stop by your shop on the way to Quepos.

John

Fine,

i will be glad to meet you personally.

Give me a call before you come so that i would be in the shop.

Best regards

Chris

Give me a call before you come so that i would be in the shop.

Chris

So that you will be in the shop or so that you can run from the shop? :winky: So just kidding :):D

Shaggie - have a super wonderful time and please try and do a trip report when you return :bounce2:

Hmmm,

i meant be in the shop because if i'm not diving, usually i am running around organizing things and repairing broken stuff.
The usual life as dive shop owner ...

But fortunately i can afford to pay my 4 excellent employees, so i can get out of the shop when i feel the need
to have a fresh "battido" with my customers or friends dropping in for a visit.....

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom