A Canadian hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

welcome aboard!!!!!
my newest student is 64 yrs young
shes still rockin' and has a lot of passion!!!!!
great site to learn from
have fun doing it
lots of great ontario diving!!!!!!!!
....better than that stupid warm stuff......ha,ha!!!!
yaeg

Welcome to spending er diving! And welcome to the board. You've likely lurked all over by now and starting to get feel the community out. It's a great board to learn the lingo, equipment and dive sites.
Let the excitement take its' course before you start spending. For sure look up Fins, Mask, and good regulators. Regulators: just say that out loud here on the board and that will set off a grass fire. haha. For me I went out and spent a years wage on gear. Then I found out what I needed. The yard sale was huge at my house. I wondered why the dive shop owner was so nice to me for the first few months.
If you need glasses to see, then start looking for masks first. It will take a while to get a perscription. I would advise actually buying two masks one for backup. With a perscription it is a little more difficult to dive somewhere if you break the mask and need another.
There are many types of devices for diving that you can test with most dive shops. Maybe go that route if you can at the local pool after you get your pool time for your certification. Some like to have their own bc for learning, I did. I bought a used jacket bc. and a new Zeagle ranger wing bc. I bought the wing bc because I had a sense that I would rather like that set up vs jacket style. I was right. I also had friends that dive with a backplate/wing and I figured it would be an easy switch if I went that way. I have. I still have my zeagle, I store it on Cozumel Island as I dive there a lot. I dive with my wing more here in Canada so far. I think thats starting to change also.
I see a lot of new divers coming to our dive shop trip meetings once a month. See if that goes on in your area. Get a feel for the dive shop and see if the equipment is what you like. It's a great way to meet people and learn a great hobby. That's great you run, that will help with your breathing rate at depth. The only time I run is when my wife asks me how she looks in a certain dress or something like that. Anyway, where is home for you? I grew up in Owen Sound. Like written earlier lots of good diving around Ontario. Even better on the west coast. But you will need more gear,, o man it never stops..... have fun pal. kev

:admingreet:

Welcome to the board, and our obsession. Scuba dreams can take over your life!!

You are going to have a blast in Dominican, but don't overlook the great diving we have up here, too. It's not warm, but it can be spectacular. (Just to clarify... no diving around me is spectacular!)

Lots of great diving in the north country ...but most people wait until summer!

Welcome!

Welcome to spending er diving! And welcome to the board. You've likely lurked all over by now and starting to get feel the community out. It's a great board to learn the lingo, equipment and dive sites.
Let the excitement take its' course before you start spending. For sure look up Fins, Mask, and good regulators. Regulators: just say that out loud here on the board and that will set off a grass fire. haha. For me I went out and spent a years wage on gear. Then I found out what I needed. The yard sale was huge at my house. I wondered why the dive shop owner was so nice to me for the first few months.
If you need glasses to see, then start looking for masks first. It will take a while to get a perscription. I would advise actually buying two masks one for backup. With a perscription it is a little more difficult to dive somewhere if you break the mask and need another.
There are many types of devices for diving that you can test with most dive shops. Maybe go that route if you can at the local pool after you get your pool time for your certification. Some like to have their own bc for learning, I did. I bought a used jacket bc. and a new Zeagle ranger wing bc. I bought the wing bc because I had a sense that I would rather like that set up vs jacket style. I was right. I also had friends that dive with a backplate/wing and I figured it would be an easy switch if I went that way. I have. I still have my zeagle, I store it on Cozumel Island as I dive there a lot. I dive with my wing more here in Canada so far. I think thats starting to change also.
I see a lot of new divers coming to our dive shop trip meetings once a month. See if that goes on in your area. Get a feel for the dive shop and see if the equipment is what you like. It's a great way to meet people and learn a great hobby. That's great you run, that will help with your breathing rate at depth. The only time I run is when my wife asks me how she looks in a certain dress or something like that. Anyway, where is home for you? I grew up in Owen Sound. Like written earlier lots of good diving around Ontario. Even better on the west coast. But you will need more gear,, o man it never stops..... have fun pal. kev
Thanks for the welcome Kev. To be honest, diving hasn't been on my mind for the last while, considering the time of year and other distractions ie. Xmas etc. As mentioned, I am still in the infancy stage and looking towards my certification prior to our daughter's wedding in the Dominican first week of May. All the advice about not jumping into the wrong equipment prematurely is appreciated. My plan is to rent or borrow until I give this underwater thing a try. Need to watch the budget as well, but I sure know where to go when I am ready to learn more about the right choice of U/W gear.
I love the Owen Sound area where you are from, I currently live just above T.O.
Thanks again for the chat.
- Tim

Actually, I live in Ontario too, so the weather here is brutal during winter, I did all my written exam and pool training here and it happened that my Instructor was going south for a diving vacation, so I asked him whether I could do my OW there, he said ok. For me, I feel more comfortable with my Instructor because he knows how I do. If your Instructor is not going anywhere south, then you must find a resort is under PADI and not MAUI, may be you can email them and get associate with the one who is going to certify you. I think it will make you feel better. I know you will pass with flying colour, wish you all the best. Welcome to the sea of wonder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom