A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
I know about 2 dozen instructors and divecons, including several instructor certifiers. They all have real jobs and teach SCUBA because they like it. If you haven't sold all your stuff yet, I'd suggest keeping (or finding) a regular job, and teaching SCUBA in your spare time.

There are people that "make a living" teaching SCUBA, but unless you own the shop, it's only possible if you redefine your standards for what "making a living" is.

Terry

You've got the right idea. There's a huge difference between making a living and making a career.

If you want to get by, own little, work 'til your health fails then go on some kind of government sponsored care program.... then diving can work.

To have a "career", own property, work but have others working for you so you can take some time off every now and then, save up for some retirement and such... you are probably going to have to own the business.... and that's no guarantee either.

I know a few guys who've basically worked in scuba for years, and during the good times they may have 2 grand in the bank, a rental apartment to live in, a used car or motorcycle, beer money and friends. Not much else.

It's a great lifestyle for a while, a career, who knows?

later,

catherine96821:
Sometimes having too much of a plan is just as bad as not having enough of one. When you put yourself out there, amazing things can happen.

Amen, Catherine.

Life's a beach...
sahara.jpg

Rmel El Abiadh (Sahara) 2001

I'm living one of my dreams here. What the pic can't show you is that I'm also going through a particularly tough stretch in my wandering life, but....I'm living one of my dreams. My thoughts, after several years of aimless globetrotting, are:
1) going somewhere on holiday for two weeks cannot compare to the experiences available to those who would live/work abroad
2) displacing yourself, living outside of your home culture, makes for a life that is intensely felt-- good, bad, whatever
3) if you are open to whatever opportunities present themselves, you will find that there is no end to the opportunities that will present themselves

What is there to lose, but a life of static mediocrity?

I was 28 when I chucked the world to be a dive bum. 11 years later I regret not a minute and have made friends, memories and yes even good money along the way.

Don't let the cubicle people talk you out of it!

I'm pulling an ample living from dive instruction though it is supplimented with my NASA retirement paycheck

"You can waste a whole lifetime,
Trying to be,
What you think is expected
of you.
But you'll never be free"

Don't forget, you don't have to choose for life. If you don't have children, by all means DO IT! I am guessing you are probably young enough that you can have "both" lives if you get started! It really is not a major decision in the scope of things to travel around and see the world for awhile. It is, a major decision to decide you won't. I cringe when I see 21 year old girls working to put bedroom suites on layaway.

A second (and third, and...) language would help. Spanish, German and French seem to be the most sought after.

Newly qualified instructors tend to get a harder time than the rest, look for ways to get a few certifications under your belt fairly quickly. It's also worth paying for the MSDT prep course as well to give you the chance to teach specialty courses straight away. Just teaching OW week after week is hard work, and where you end up it's likely the existing instructors will grab the trips and the AOW courses, leaving you doing the OW. Cultivate relationships with all your students once you start teaching, find out what they want to do and give them ways to make it happen.

Also look at adding other skills to make yourself desirable (on the job market!!) such as a compressor maintainence course, boat skills, service technician etc.

Finally, yes just live your dreams otherwise you'll regret it, I'm sure. You might find that you can't make a living as an instructor, or that the grass is not greener.... but surely that's better than always asking "what if I'd....?". I left the UK three years ago and have never looked back, best decision I ever made!

AndyNZ:
A second (and third, and...) language would help. Spanish, German and French seem to be the most sought after.
def!!! on second thought russian and japanese bring you even further in many areas and will give you a premium due to the fact that very few ppl actually speak it! but any additional lingo is a huge plus.

AndyNZ:
Newly qualified instructors tend to get a harder time than the rest, look for ways to get a few certifications under your belt fairly quickly. It's also worth paying for the MSDT prep course as well to give you the chance to teach specialty courses straight away. Just teaching OW week after week is hard work, and where you end up it's likely the existing instructors will grab the trips and the AOW courses, leaving you doing the OW. Cultivate relationships with all your students once you start teaching, find out what they want to do and give them ways to make it happen.
it depends on the dc, dont has to be. a good dc will give you a fair chance and equal option on all courses, regardless of the level. if you would work for me its simple - you sold the course, you teach it (or you dont want to). if it is a walk in, its a turn thing and goes around. as far as the msdt prep, i partially disagree. in a "your local lds" its right, in a tourist / resort area you will have 25 certs in no time, be it whatever course, or dsd's (5 dsd's count as a full cert). with 25 certs you can apply for specialties. as you will be in thailand, dont get "sucked" into the msdt thing to much! there are courses that make sense like nitrox, gasblender, rb (depending on local availability) and courses you just apply after often enough a couple weeks and save yourself a lot of money. but yes andy is right, it is fun to teach diff stuff. try to make it stuff you like! you will bring your enthusiasm over to your clients!

AndyNZ:
Also look at adding other skills to make yourself desirable (on the job market!!) such as a compressor maintainence course, boat skills, service technician etc.
couldnt agree more! the more you know - the more valuable you are for a potential job. there might be stuff that isnt "your thing" - concentrate on the rest.

AndyNZ:
Finally, yes just live your dreams otherwise you'll regret it, I'm sure. You might find that you can't make a living as an instructor, or that the grass is not greener.... but surely that's better than always asking "what if I'd....?". I left the UK three years ago and have never looked back, best decision I ever made!
true, couldnt agree more. i made lots of money in diving and i had the ****ty jobs - luckily not many. do your thing, build your own "client base" ( iam still in touch with ppl i certified over 10 yrs ago and they often plan their vacation due to where i work) and do what you love - also (like me right now) take a break and do sth else for a while when it start to get on your nerves. nothing is worse than a "burned out" instr! for you, the students and the dc.

Sirineta - it really is a 50 - 50 chance to take. A lot also depends on being in the right place at the right time. Some instructors do earn well here and with living expenses being relatively cheap it is possible to live comfortably. With diligence and determination you should be fine, although extra languages are a great help here.

On the other hand I have known many Instructors who could not make it, especially those working in areas which were badly hit by the Tsunami for example. There simply was no work for these Instructors due to the lack of tourism and financial situations of some DC's.

Also bear in mind that in some areas of Thailand the need for work permits is vitally important. For example the officials on Phuket are far stricter than those on Koh Tao.

As for a recommendation on a Course Director if you are coming to Phuket or Phi Phi - I highly recommend Bent Posejpal at www.siamdivers.com He is excellent!

Otherwise whatever you do - good luck!

Wow! I did the right thing when I signed up to this board! Just want to say a big thank you to everybody for the fantastic advice I am receiving! Much appreciated. x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom