A Cert Card for everything, including how to tie your shoe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHAT?!?!?! I'm crushed!!! :shocked2: I've got the world's gayest pink Twinjets . . . :furious: :maniac:
fixed that for ya Jax :thumb:

I'm challenged by the QUOTE function today.

I was lucky enough to learn drysuit as part of my open water class. However, up here in the Pacific Northwest, it’s almost necessary in order to keep students comfortable for the course, especially if you are teaching them in December.

I will also admit that my OW was through SSI, not PADI, and our instructor took 8 weeks to complete the course not 5 weeks, 2 weeks, or two weekends (the OW options for the shop I completed my PADI DM with). In that sense I was lucky.

I really do think that these courses that pander to the whims of the free market, our "attention spans", and the legal problems are a bit sad.

What ever happened to getting guidance and wisdom from more experienced divers, and more experienced divers wanting to help less experienced divers get experience and education while actually diving. The whole idea of random acts of kindness leading to more and more reliable and proficient divers?

It seems kind of sad that diving education has to be bought up in little chunks that other divers make snide comments about, because the divers that paid for this education can be poor divers. I would like to think that any reasonable person with a genuine interest in diving would think that this sort of education would be good for them and the reason why they would buy into it, not knowing any better because dive shop tend to be the only source of information for the average novice diver.

Now I would say that for a minority of people, different types of diving is just a natural thing that you can pick up. I learned a lot of things by doing some serious reading and research, and then discussing it with other divers, and getting myself out in a pool or calm water and experimenting. But the majorities of people that I assisted in the pool while DM’ing are not that confident, or have other issues that impede their ability to go out and learn it themselves. Which leads to people wanting to get more education with instructors, and taking the specialty courses.

I personally wish that diving education were more like a apprentice/master program. Where it may take some time to get cert-cards, but it actually involved diving with a more experienced diver, and there was a practical attempt to give the diver more education under any specific cert card. For instance, getting to learn about decompression during a nitrox course.

Anyway, I suppose that I should end this diatribe.

I guess I agree with Niesent. I feel like only the wealthy can afford to dive beyond OW. I know that in the current economy, if it were not for my bestest bud owning a dive shop, I'd not be able to dive recreationally.

Oh, one more thing...
MY WIFE JUST BROUGHT ME FROSTED MINI WHEATS! I WIN AT LIFE!

<snipped>
I personally wish that diving education were more like a apprentice/master program. Where it may take some time to get cert-cards, but it actually involved diving with a more experienced diver, and there was a practical attempt to give the diver more education under any specific cert card. For instance, getting to learn about decompression during a nitrox course.

Anyway, I suppose that I should end this diatribe.

Lovely thoughts, sunshine, but scuba is fighting the same battle as many other low-participant sports that are expensive to enter and require skills maintenance: It's darned hard to attract and keep fresh, new, young blood. Without it, the sport atropies.

Tiger Woods was a huge shot in the arm for the golf industry as he crossed age and race lines. Now the sport is teeming with youngsters and women, across all races, that have taken up the sport.

As much as we dislike it, it takes these salomi-sliced courses to attract the youngsters. Gen-X and the Millenium Generation just don't have the self-discipline nor patience to sit through (a) longer class(es).

I havent read the whole thread but find all these specialtys pretty funny myself.

If it hasnt been mentioned yet, I thought this was the most funny of them all lol..

SPIEGEL GROVE DIVER $275.00

Ocean Divers has designed and developed this specialty for those
wishing to learn more about this famous ship wreck. Upon completion,
you will receive a PADI Spiegel Grove Diver certification card. :rofl3:

haha, perfect.
To do that dive justice, you first have to have a Deco Cert, A wreck cert, an Mixed Gas Cert, hmm, oh... Double Cert. I'm missing a ton of stuff i'm sure.

So, who offers a "Sidemount" cert? :hm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom