A FB friend posted his brother died today in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottled was labelled with a MOD 20 sticker. Carlos insisted it was just air. He had many tanks, and used one and filled it with air at home. Other than that MOD sticker there was no verification on the contents mix or date. Yes his computer was set to air as the planned to started that way, again believing his tank had air not 02.

He would have switched his computer (shearwater predator) later to back gas of 30% when he switched gases.

Thanks, so would it be unusual for him to take a tank that was permanently marked with big oxygen labels and MOD 20 and then "over-ride" this labeling with a little piece of tape?

Thanks, so would it be unusual for him to take a tank that was permanently marked with big oxygen labels and MOD 20 and then "over-ride" this labeling with a little piece of tape?

It wasn't something he would normally do...No!. Carlos had many dedicated bottles. Some of us use bottles for different mixes. Carlos had dove the Andrea Doria the previous week and was unable to use all his mixed gases and stages. From what we gathered he had an empty 02 bottle so he used it for air. We think he must have grabbed one of the full 02 bottles instead while packing for his trip. The mistake was he didnt mark the bottle after filling it. Again something he was miticulous about however the big mistake on his part.

Along with the OUC's recommendations, I would go one step further. Why not have dedicated 1st stages & valves for any mix over 40%?

The drager rebreathers used this idea.

Along with the OUC's recommendations, I would go one step further. Why not have dedicated 1st stages & valves for any mix over 40%?

Rebreathers are different, My evolution RB the first stage IP for oxygen (02) is set at 7.5 -8 and the Dil is set at 9-9.5. Your talking a whole different system and set up from OC to CC in that regard.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2013 at 04:57 AM ----------

Because it would severely limit you in the water. If my o2 reg craps out for whatever reason, its trivial to swap a reg over from another bottle.

Agree...well said!

Because it would severely limit you in the water. If my o2 reg craps out for whatever reason, its trivial to swap a reg over from another bottle.
+1 I have seen a diver have a problem with there O2 reg and have to move a reg from there back gas to the O2 bottle in order to finish decompression.

Why does everyone keep saying that breathing the wrong gas is a 'rookie' mistake? Seems like its not rookies who make that error, but people who have a fair number of dives and get comfortable.
No clue. Breathing the wrong gas is a complacency mistake. I see new nitrox divers checking and double checking bottles, yet it's not uncommon at all to see a cave diver not check banked 32%.

A rookie mistake is jumping in with your wing deflated and valves off. This wasn't a rookie mistake.

I read the blog, and then read a thoughtful response to it on TDS from jahjahwarrior.

The Deco Stop
(In case you are not a member of TDS, here is the entire post. *mods, if you want to delete the entire post, and just leave the link, no worries*)

"Re: Fatality at Ginnie 8/8/13

Robert, I took the time to read your article in the Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/robert-...b_3775817.html "

"While it is a nice article, needless to say, I think you are just a little bit off, on several points. "

"First, you did a poor job of objectively showing the safety of our sport. 10 divers might die in caves a year on average, but you could have taken another line or two to show the real facts. Historical averages longer than a few years back are wildly skewed by the lack of training and high number of untrained divers in the early days of cave diving. I'm trying to remember a year in the last 6 years in which 10 certified cave divers died in caves, but I can't. "

"Secondly, where is buddy diving an "unwavering protocol"? Based on the high number of solo divers I see, along with the large number of posts asking about and discussing solo diving on the forums, I am sure your definition of unwavering is different than that in the dictionary. I'd say buddy diving is a good practice, or just ignore it in the article. "

"Third, your understanding of assumptions, fact, and the ME or Police? The ME and Police weren't on the dive. They collect facts from people who were. The people who were have posted their facts. Anything you read from the ME or Police, other than the exact organ that killed him, such as his lungs, or his heart, will come from the people who have already posted what they've told those people. We know the mistake that was made, far better than the ME or Police ever could, I'm sure, given the fact that almost everyone who isn't a tech diver thinks we all breathe "oxygen tanks." "

"Fourth, what makes you believe a person's attitude isn't linked to their actions? If, as your article suggests, we take a hypothetical situation of a person who gets in a vehicle crash, we are definitely going to ask about that person's attitude. Were they someone who liked to text and drive? Did they refuse to put on their glasses and drove the wrong way down a road? Did the person have a habit of speeding? Did they have many tickets? In technical diving, just like in driving, there are accidents, and there are accidents waiting to happen. A brand new tire that blows, is an accident. A person who takes corners too fast and doesn't check his tire pressure is an accident waiting to happen. "

"We get it that you are upset that people said things about your friend that could be considered rude. I agree, and many others do, in the use of tact when talking about the deceased. But when someone deliberately makes multiple mistakes that they were trained not to make, and ignores several people's requests to not take a deliberate action that results in their death, we have every right to ask if the person tended to ignore good advice and think they were able to survive without following precautions."

"We also aren't trying to denigrate the fact that he was a vivacious personality that everyone loved. A lot of cave divers have that personality. It feeds our sport, and we need it. It's awesome to see someone who loves cave diving! We loved that about Carlos, and his love of diving leaves behind quite the legacy. It's impressive, and we respect that. "

"The bottom line is, by pointing out that Carlos broke rules, we aren't blaming his diving skills. We aren't here to make his line shorter. We are paying careful attention to the role that attitude has in making decisions, and reassessing our own feelings of immortality. We are all double checking our gas, we are all checking our team's gas. We've made our lines longer. We are trying to live our lives as intensely as Carlos, but to avoid the mistake that he made. One thing is sure, his mistake will prevent other's mistakes by reminding us that the danger of gas, one of the guidelines of accident analysis, is still very real, and none of us are immune."

Last edited:
Push the Devil?
Jesus, that's a little unfortunate. Smacks a little of Hubris.

Someone please give this man a stool. Pontificating should be a disease, especially when wrapped with language like hell, Jesus, preaching. Please.

I love it how all the experts are coming out of the woodwork, without knowing the facts, some comments in this thread are highly speculatory, in fact, what credibility do the so called experts present if they (each of you - you know who you are) are willing to engage in a high degree of speculation, I have to ask! My brother wouldn't make a stupid mistake like that, and having said that, even then he was human, humans make mistakes, presumably diving procedures are supposed to account for human error. IF this is in fact what happened, a momentary lapse on the part of my brother, and not something darker and more obscure, then this might have been a multiple technical and procedural failure... The official facts have not been presented. Please stop engaging in high speculation until the facts are known. If the users of this thread wish to discuss what-ifs please do so in the abstract and leave my brother's name out of it out of respect for who is was and what he has done for the sport.

May your memory never fail you. Because your procedures and fail-safe checkpoints sure can. Complacency was not the root cause here. That is not Carlos. Peace out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom