A few items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarinekurt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
First I do appreciate several aspects of DIR
the long hose looped under the light can is my fav and the yoke around the neck

I am trying to get there.

So my issue is
diving with two hp 100s when my tanks are FULL

Mind you I only boat dive. Going down the line face first my tanks want to pitch to my right side.
I am wearing no weight but do have a Hollis 25 watt can but it it small. ... Can this tiny can be causing all of this ?
seems as the gas gets breathed the rig stays straight

Mind you this is with no deco bottles. Only the cylinders on a steel plate with a Hollis doughnut type wing.
Is the air bubble moving inside??

If you guys slam me I promise to revive the why I hate DIR thread from 2007:angrymob:

The gas in the wing doesn't move around as freely as you may imagine. The tanks keep the center "top" and "bottom" of the wing low, so the gas goes into the "sides" of the wing, and these "sides" wrap up around the tanks (a bit) acting as pontoons, helping to stabilize the rig.

The advantage of this is that you can have unequal amounts of gas in each pontoon. So if you feel a bit heavy on the right side, roll a bit (right side up and left side down in this instance), and "burp" a bit more gas into the right "pontoon". That may help balance you out.

Of course, this depends a bit on how "heavy" you are in the water at the beginning of the dive. If your wing is filled to just before the OPV "pops", then the gas isn't moving anywhere :). Which may be why you feel it at the beginning of the dive, and not later on.

Henrik

Last edited:
You might also check your harness, to make sure that the shoulder straps are of equal length. If the tanks aren't sitting centered on your back, you'll have a tendency to roll.

questions:

1 - what are you using for an exposure suit? 2- what size wing? 3- does it do that all the time or just some of the time?

I wear a bare tri lam dry suit
60 lb wing
all the time as I am heading down the line face first
Hmm I'll have to check shoulder straps. Im pretty sure they are close to being equal

I wonder if the 60 lb wing is part of the problem . . . does your inflator hose insert into the wing at the center of the upper arc, or on the left side? If it's offset to the left, then when you put air in the wing, it may preferentially go to the left pontoon, and because the pontoons are so big, it would take quite a deviation from trim to cause air to move across the upper arc into the right side. This would result in a gradual and increasing tendency to roll to the right.

A 60 lb wing is a big wing for double 100s.

This makes sense. The inflator is centered ALMOST but is more on the left
And pontoon is the right word to describe this wing it is like a Macy's day parade float

I believe if I fill it with helium it would allow me to fly
i took it from my Lds to do a couple dives to see if I wanted a doughnut type wing

This may not be the right piece of equipment.
I wanted a bigger lift but maybe this bad boy is too big
thanks for the responses

I have an older horse shoe with a couple of patches on it. Thought it my be time for anew wing..the thing has disrupted my diving like no other piece of gear ever has.

I may have to re evaluate a few things

Now for common purposes
the wing size is probably too large even with 2 al 40s?
i mean on occasion we do dive with 2 deco bottles

Add an argon bottle and ....
Well 60 seemed quite reasonable to me at the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom