A man walks into a dive store...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
And walks out with a 2000€ obligation for yet another drysuit and a new undersuit, and an idea about a clickbait headline on SB :cool:

*Sigh* It'll be my third suit, and I still haven't reached 200 dives. Oh well. OTOH, I don't quite see how it could have been done differently.

My first drysuit was a Scubapro Everdry. 4mm compressed neoprene. I certified OW in a suit like that, and it was a breeze. Wonderful suit. Fits like a wetsuit, virtually no air migration and as easy to dive as a wetsuit is. One of my clubmates switched to one of these, just for that reason. Downside is, when it's as snug as that, there's not much room for undergarments. And the socks are on the small side, definitely not fitted for Scandinavian feet, so no thick socks. It was a challenge to find the right balance between rockboot laces tight enough to keep the boots from slipping off, while at the same time not restricting circulation which is a recipe for cold feet. So after some 40-ish dives in that and some experience with chilly water and sub-freezing topside temps, I decided I wanted a shell suit.

Enter the Waterproof D7. Plus a 200 - or is it 300? - gsm Thinsulate undersuit with thick fleece on the inside. Room in the boots for thick knitted wool socks, with room to wiggle my toes. No more cold feet, no more struggling to pull a snug neoprene suit over several layers of wool underwear. Bliss. And I loved the silicone seals. Extremely comfortable, much better - IMO - than either neoprene or latex seals. But the suit definitely hurt my ego for a few dives until I learned to manage the significantly larger suit bubble. I still use the old neoprene suit in balmy 13-15C water and nice warm (18-20C) topside temperatures, though. It's still the closest I can come to diving a wetsuit while staying dry.

Problem was, the D7 really was a bit on the large side for me. When I bought it I didn't have one dive in a shell suit and had no idea about what a proper fit is. And it didn't help that I have fairly short legs and arms compared to my torso length besides having a BMI somewhat above 25. After close to about 100 dives in that, and becoming more aware of the lack of fit during my recent 3* class, I decided I wanted something that fit me better. Third time's a charm, right? And now I had a pretty decent idea about what a good fit would be for me. I considered ordering MTM, but was a little reluctant since I've been told that different manufacturers have slightly different ideas about what is a good fit and how thick the undergarments should be. I wanted to be able to try the suit, with the undergarments I was going to use. And speaking of undergarments, since my torso is on the long side for a person my height, my undersuit kept tearing in the crotch seam. So I wanted a new undersuit, too.

Enter the customized Ursuit. There's this store where they offer a somewhat customized version of the Ursuit One Endurance. Their version has some minor modifications to Ursuit's own version, like the location of the shoulder dump valve and the width around the calves. They sell it without the Ursuit brand label, but under the same model name. The customer can get individual adjustments of leg length, arm length, torso length and boot size for no extra cost. And unlike the Santi suits they also sell, it didn't crash my budget completely. It only stretched the budget pretty severely.

So, yesterday this man walked into a dive store. And ended up signing up for one of those suits, with custom arm and leg length, arm rings for the Ultima rings I have on my current suit, a SiTech Orust neck seal ring and a red overlay. Oh yes, and a No Gravity Sea Lion undersuit. Unlike the Thinsulate undersuits, it's rather stretchy in every direction, so I'm expecting some increased mobility when I'm slightly squeezed.

They say it's some six weeks delivery time. I'm fretting already.

Wow, Storker! Exciting stuff!

Do they offer anything if fit isn't all you hope it will be?

I think it's pretty unlikely that it won't fit. After all, I tried it on in the store, with the correct undergarments and had my measurements taken for alterations. Much like when I'm buying a sport coat or a suit in a men's clothing store.

My problem with MTM is that unlike bespoke clothing, you don't try on the suit during the production process. That's a risk.

If you can you might want to consider changing the o-rust neck system to the Quick-Neck system. I have no personal experience with the O-Rust but I have heard and read that it is so flexible that it causes problems with seal retention. The Quick-Neck system is, my understanding, a happy medium between the Neck-Tight system and the O-Rust system. It would be awful to purchase a 3rd suit is such a short time and possibly be frustrated with the the neck seal not staying put. Comments I have heard and read are that si-tech went too far with the O-Rust in regards to flexibility and the clips to used to keep things in place.

YMMV...regardless, good luck and enjoy the new suit.

-Z

Comments I have heard and read are that si-tech went too far with the O-Rust in regards to flexibility and the clips to used to keep things in place.
Ok, I've only heard good things about the Orust. My D7 had the Necktite system, and while it did a good job with the seal, it was so stiff that it affected my mobility. When i tried to reach across my chest, my shoulder muscle hit the edge of the ring. So I naturally wanted a soft ring, and the Orust is the softest of the Sitech neck ring systems.

I'm a bit surprised at the comment about the clips. To me it looks as if they provide a more secure mounting of the seal than what the Quickneck ring does.

Oh well. It's always possible to rip out the Orust and glue in a Quickneck if it turns out you were right and I was wrong.

I have the neck-tight system in my fusion and my wife has the quick-neck in her USIA suit. I can sense that her neck ring is a bit more flexible than mine. I have not experienced any problems with my neck ring but I have heard others comment about the neck-tight stiffness getting in their way. On the other hand I have not heard of anyone complain about the quick-neck. If you have read people praising the increased flexibility of the o-rust I would love it if you could post a couple of links because I would like nothing more than to have a more balanced perspective on that system for future discussion and purchases.

-Z

If you have read people praising the increased flexibility of the o-rust I would love it if you could post a couple of links because I would like nothing more than to have a more balanced perspective on that system for future discussion and purchases.
Do you read Facebook in Norwegian? If so, can do. If not, there's not much of a point to it, is there? :)

In any case, if you bump this thread in a year or so and remind me, I might have an opinion myself :)

Reactions: Zef
FWIW, I ordered the MTM Ursuit that Deep6 sells; and that is my first and only drysuit. And I did (with my wife's help) the measurements myself; it was all just a form sent off into the ether....so massive butterflies in the gut even though I bought it on a Thanksgiving online sale and the price was great...it was still more than I have ever spent on a single piece of dive equipment in 51 years of diving. While I was waiting for the suit, TekDive was held in Orlando; I spent a day there and had a great conversation with a gentleman from Ursuit that helped settle my nerves. The suit arrived; I have about 15 dives on it; have changed the undergarments from a single lycra layer (Florida ocean) to a Qwark Navy in Puget Sound in November. Not enough dives to compare, and certainly not enough cold water experience to be comparable to your part of the world, but I'm satisfied that it fits well enough and so far I've stayed dry (,well, other than the sweat in a drysuit in Florida). I don't know for sure, but think Ursuit starts with some pretty standard components to create that MTM suit. I have the Quickneck….it seems really stiff whenever I'm handling the suit, but I don't notice it underwater. I have only had to replace one wrist seal so far (that resulted from my own inexperience and lack of patience getting the silicone seals off and on).

So my version is, I guess, a man sits down at his laptop......

I see two issues here.

1, you live where it is too damned cold

2, you walking into a dive shop with your wallet open

Those two issues when combined can spell significant pain. Either by itself is bad enough.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic threads have been deleted and the thread restored.

Please show respect to everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom