A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Replacing a battery might not sound like a big deal, but if something happens to the o-ring, and the transmitter floods. That my friend is called a $400 paper weight, depending on brand.

How to replace a battery on scuba gear:

1. Remove the cap
2. Gently remove the o ring by pinching it together. If this fails try a toothpick
3. Remove all grease and grime from the ring with a lint free cloth or paper towel. Dig any grime out of all surfaces that contact the o ring
4. Inspect the o ring for nicks or cracks. If in doubt replace it
5. Replace battery
6. Squeeze a very small amount of silicon grease onto your finger and work it over the o ring until it has a uniform sheen. There should be no obvious globs of grease.
7. Replace o ring and tighten the device closed hand tight.

I bet I can send an email to DRIS calling them a bunch of a-holes, and then order something a minute later without any issue at all.

Just to be clear: I like DRIS, and don't think they are a-holes at all - this was purely a hypothetical example.

Not purely hypothetical. If you call Mikes wife an a-hole (I don't even know if Mike is married) you will find yourself going to spit if you ever want anything out of DRIS. Just like one of my clients from the last trip. I'm sorry, but the boat is full.

One of the shops near me has a policy, if you need help putting together your gear or have a question about it, come on in and we'll help you with that, no charge. Doesn't matter where you got it or if you've never stepped in the store before. From that aspect the shop owner "gets it." He just got someone into the shop, he helped them, and they left happy. More likely than not, they bought something (how many of you can go into a dive shop and not buy SOMETHING) or will come back the next time they need to buy something.

Not as far fetched as you might think. Divers direct ships their Blue Steel FX117 Steel Scuba Tank filled to 5000 psi unless it's air freight or international. Not a far cry from mail order air-fills. Shipping is the only real obstacle.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Exactly! :rofl3: But hey... a fella can fantasize can't he?

My ultimate goal!!! :D

And... back to the real world :depressed:

I did the math once on buying my own compressor.
I figured I would break even at 1660 fills as opposed to going to a dive shop,. This BTW is without any electricity, maintenance costs, or filters, so in reality it would probably be around 2000 or more fills to break even.

So I decided no matter how mad I got at my LDS I would have to eat crow and at least go in for fills.

But I still refuse to take crap from a dive shop because they failed to earn my money. I can take my air-fill money else where also.:wink: :D

As a shop owner I would prefer my customer tell me up front, mainly so I can help if I can. I realize that I do not carry every piece of equipment and everyone's needs vary. I have also worked hard to keep a good relationship with a number of other shops in my area, so if I don't have I do know someone that does.

And for the record, if a customer of mine brought in a computer or octopus or something like that and asked me to install it for them, I would. No worries, its what I am here for and I am trying to earn your business.

One of the shops near me has a policy, if you need help putting together your gear or have a question about it, come on in and we'll help you with that, no charge. Doesn't matter where you got it or if you've never stepped in the store before. From that aspect the shop owner "gets it." He just got someone into the shop, he helped them, and they left happy. More likely than not, they bought something (how many of you can go into a dive shop and not buy SOMETHING) or will come back the next time they need to buy something.

We have a LDS like that. Says so right on their web site.

As a shop owner I would prefer my customer tell me up front, mainly so I can help if I can. I realize that I do not carry every piece of equipment and everyone's needs vary. I have also worked hard to keep a good relationship with a number of other shops in my area, so if I don't have I do know someone that does.

And for the record, if a customer of mine brought in a computer or octopus or something like that and asked me to install it for them, I would. No worries, its what I am here for and I am trying to earn your business.

:acclaim:I tip my hat to you SeaCobra!:acclaim: I wish all dive shop owners would follow your example!

How to replace a battery on scuba gear:

1. Remove the cap
2. Gently remove the o ring by pinching it together. If this fails try a toothpick
3. Remove all grease and grime from the ring with a lint free cloth or paper towel. Dig any grime out of all surfaces that contact the o ring
4. Inspect the o ring for nicks or cracks. If in doubt replace it
5. Replace battery
6. Squeeze a very small amount of silicon grease onto your finger and work it over the o ring until it has a uniform sheen. There should be no obvious globs of grease.
7. Replace o ring and tighten the device closed hand tight.

For some perhaps.....

I know that my Aeris ATMOS-2 units are a bit of a pita. You need to seat the hatch with thumb pressure and then tighten a cam ring to hold it there. The o-ring can flip out in the seating process with no indication. Unless you pre-mark the ring before disassembly it's not even clear what the secure position is. I've messed up a twice and ended up sending them back for flat rate overhauls. I wouldn't expect a shop to accept the risk without compensation.

I can see where a screw plug model is more desirable. Note to self for next time....................

Pete

I bet I can send an email to DRIS calling them a bunch of a-holes, and then order something a minute later without any issue at all.

Yes and no. There's a certain online dive shop ( I will not say who. ) that asked me to write a review for them. I felt that they mostly did a great job but with a few areas of concern. I made the mistake of giving a candid, fair and balanced review that mentioned the good and the bad with an overall reccomendation of good to go.

The personal email response that I got was very long and winded with lots of indications of hurt feelings and defensiveness. It really felt akward getting confronted like that.

Having a compressor rocks. Im an hour from the closest lds, so it was worthwhile to get it. There are sites i go to 2 hours away, where i wont pass a lds.

You will find a wireless spg to be nothing more than a gadget though. Tech divers dont use them. Good old brass spg does the trick.

Having a compressor rocks. Im an hour from the closest lds, so it was worthwhile to get it. There are sites i go to 2 hours away, where i wont pass a lds.

You will find a wireless spg to be nothing more than a gadget though. Tech divers dont use them. Good old brass spg does the trick.
I'll bet having your own compressor rocks.
I can see your point about the LDS being far away and not passing one. In that case the break even point becomes a lot lower when you figure in fuel to get there.
But I'm seeing it purely from a financial aspect and sometimes that isn't always the deciding factor. Just look at people who own boats.
I would love to have a compressor even if the bottom line is a little more than LDS fills financially. Just the freedom of not having to deal with them is worth something.
I should look around for a good used one. Maybe an LDS around here will go out and I can score the compressor cheap?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom