A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDS owner would grin and say, you need us, just try to refill a tank through a website...

Problem solved! I present you the USB fill whip!

USB Fill Whip.jpg

:rofl3:

Tim

Problem solved! I present you the USB fill whip!

View attachment 134122

:rofl3:

Tim

That is a great idea, but you cant mix with it. Also only appears to be yoke. :(

Also, contrary to what i thought a year ago, compressor and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. There are ways to offset the cost though. I fill cascades for the local paintball shop and fill the portatorch sized o2 bottles for people.

Having a compressor rocks. Im an hour from the closest lds, so it was worthwhile to get it. There are sites i go to 2 hours away, where i wont pass a lds.

I'll bet once you factor in the gasoline you've saved not driving to the LDS for fills it becomes much more economically feasible to own your own compressor. Out of curiosity, what the going rate for a compressor?

That is a great idea, but you cant mix with it. Also only appears to be yoke. :(

Also, contrary to what i thought a year ago, compressor and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. There are ways to offset the cost though. I fill cascades for the local paintball shop and fill the portatorch sized o2 bottles for people.

mixing requires a firmware upgrade

Coming from a dive shop...

You are entitled to buy exactly what you want. Sure, the LDS would prefer it if you purchased it from them, and you can't blame them for trying, but they can't win them all. You sound like a loyal customer, and the LDS is lucky to have your business.

If it is a brand that they carry but don't have the model in the store, you can ask them to order it. If it is a brand that they don't carry, then they may not be able to order it without setting up a dealership and making a major $ commitment to that brand. If that is the case, you are off the hook.

I can't speak for all dive shops, but... If you walked into one of my stores and asked me to install the transmitter, I wouldn't even hesitate. Many of our customers come into our stores to just hang out...and that is how we like it. I would want you to feel comfortable enough to ask for help, even if it included a product that you didn't buy from us. After all, a happy customer is a repeat customer! We hope. :)

...If that is the case, you are off the hook.
You were never on the hook in the first place! :wink:

I can't speak for all dive shops, but... If you walked into one of my stores and asked me to install the transmitter, I wouldn't even hesitate. Many of our customers come into our stores to just hang out...and that is how we like it. I would want you to feel comfortable enough to ask for help, even if it included a product that you didn't buy from us. After all, a happy customer is a repeat customer! We hope. :)

Well done Force-E Divers.

I'll bet once you factor in the gasoline you've saved not driving to the LDS for fills it becomes much more economically feasible to own your own compressor. Out of curiosity, what the going rate for a compressor?

In this shop's catalog, they range from about $3,000 to $12,000. That does not include the annual maintenance costs. You can get used ones more cheaply.

There are additional costs for more advanced diving, such as creating nitrox and trimix. These can be substantial.

I know someone with one of the lower cost diesel models. It sounded great when I first heard he had it--we often dive in a remote area where getting fills is problematic. When he explained how long it took the compressor to fill a tank, we realized it was worthless for our group purposes. It would be a fine machine for making fills with plenty of time ahead of a trip, but for even a small group hoping to get refills during a dive day, it just did not have the capacity.

I am generally under the impression that I have a good dive shop, although it probably helps that I buy all of my stuff there at a reasonable price. The price is not always the cheapest, but it is close enough for me

However, I think I may just buy something online and ask them to install it just to test them out :)

I am generally under the impression that I have a good dive shop, although it probably helps that I buy all of my stuff there at a reasonable price. The price is not always the cheapest, but it is close enough for me

However, I think I may just buy something online and ask them to install it just to test them out :)

I find that to be a bit like your wife paying for a hooker for you to see if you are faithful. 99 days out of 100, you will be and life is all good. That one time when you just know you won't get caught, you had a bad day, and you know it's victimless destroys your marriage for years if not forever. Same with tempting your dive shop to do something wrong. 99 times out of 100 they will do right by you, after all, you trust them. That 100th time, when they had a bad day, when they processed more returns than sales, when they burned down a pool pump is the day you tempt them to do you wrong. Did you play in traffic as a child?

I find that to be a bit like your wife paying for a hooker for you to see if you are faithful. 99 days out of 100, you will be and life is all good. That one time when you just know you won't get caught, you had a bad day, and you know it's victimless destroys your marriage for years if not forever. Same with tempting your dive shop to do something wrong. 99 times out of 100 they will do right by you, after all, you trust them. That 100th time, when they had a bad day, when they processed more returns than sales, when they burned down a pool pump is the day you tempt them to do you wrong. Did you play in traffic as a child?

well first of all, I find the hooker analogy to be very different since I am not married to my LDS, nor did I vow to be faithful.

Secondly, if I can find something cheaper online, I don't see any problem with buying it, and paying my LDS to install it. I generally have not done that in the past because it is more convenient to get stuff through my LDS, but I don't feel I am obligated. My point in my previous post was only that I think this is the case, but perhaps I should check if it is true.

Lastly, yes, as with most young boys growing up in Canada, I played street hockey on most days in front of my house, and occasionally we had to move the nets for traffic to get through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom