A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to my preferred LDS the other day and told them I had just purchased a dry suit and needed some accessories. Obviously a dry suit is a big dollar item they would've loved to sell me.

I got the same service I always get...e.g. they gave me the bag of talc for free.

Of course I've been there at least once a week (getting air if nothing else) for the past month.

... He has given me a tough time for not buying directly through him...

:shakehead: That's where I would have not so politely told him to kiss my hind-end and took my business else where. Where and how I spend my money is no ones business but my own. For a dive shop owner/employee to assume they can give me a tough time is unprofessional and unacceptable.

For a dive shop owner/employee to assume they can give me a tough time is unprofessional and unacceptable.

But sadly not so uncommon.

Slightly less than worst case scenario, the transmitter does not stick out (is arranged in and down, as would be desired over the above alternative) but is a line trap that can pose an entanglement risk.

Depending on your regs, maybe this is true. Personally, my transmitter is pointed down toward the tanks. Due to the way my hoses are routed I would have to disconnect my inflator hose and then manually put it and my long hose over and around any line before it could become a line trap. If it's possible in this case then I guess I'll take my chances.

Best case scenario, it works fine and tells you what your brass and glass SPG tells you.

By the time you get to that level, you should use your instruments to verify what you already know (you know your SAC, you know your average depth - you should be able to look at your SPG and have a pretty good idea of what it's going to tell you before you get it up to your face).

This I pretty much agree with. Like I said before, I certainly don't need it. I also don't see it as a real risk like some people do after hundreds of issue-free dives (rec and tec both).

In any case I will likely be buying a new computer which doesn't have AI, but does have a far better screen and other features I value over AI -- Shearwater Petrel -- so all this will be a moot point anyway (at least for me).

Cost of compressor? Hmmm. Once my system is done, ill know better. Lol.

Currently, i am running a davey 15cfm diesel compressor. That cost 1800
I have 4 hp banks. They were 200 each with connecting hdwcand fresh hydro.
3 low pressure banks. I paid 50 for one of them.
To initially get the compressor in servicable shape , i spent another 2g.
I have another g into my nitrox mixing whip that i built.
I bought a shipping container to put all this crap into so its out of the way. That was another 3 g
The engine burns about 7l of diesel per hour of pumping.
Synthetic oil is sbout $17/liter, takes 5l
Engine oil also requires regular changes.
Co monitor another g
All i can think of right now, but there is more.

The beauty is that i now have it and it is paid for
Costs very little per tank to operate this morning, in about 4 hours, i filled 7 sets of large, high pressure doubles and 8 stage bottles, all with nitrox.

Now its time to go dive. :)

Very nice setup Graeme Tolton.

I have to agree with mathauck0814, Having a compressor is all about convenience. And maybe a little bragging rights too. :wink:

No kidding. It all started with making a nitrox whip. Now, it might be a bit out of control. I think my cascades might be breeding. :0

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273704.430254.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273704.430254.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273779.786181.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273779.786181.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 83
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273877.800550.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346273877.800550.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 74
The OP has, as always here, received great advice and I agree with much of it. I say, buy what you want. I have happily purchased about 85% of my gear online and the other 15% from about 10 shops spread out across the world. A few have been very nice and most have been filled with "macho" types who "dive nitrox because it makes them feel better." All that said, I don't see scuba as a social activity as some do so I have never been one to want to hang out at a LDS and make friends where my "loyalty to my shop" will be tested. I tend to make a few loyal dive buddies and then go dive. The less people around, the better the diving. The OP may see things differently and that's cool too but if this is the case, as always, this topic gets a bit more difficult to navigate. Especially if the OP lives in a small town with one LDS.

Don't listen to these dinosaurs harp on about the dangers of a transmitter, biggest load of rubbish I've heard. If you get a good brand and keep it serviced regularly it will be just as reliable as a gauge. What is the worst that can happen if it does fail? Just buddy breath or go back to the surface.

...........biggest load of rubbish I've heard.......

You really need to pay closer attention to the rest of the board if this is the biggest heap of rubbish that you've ever heard :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom