A quick look inside the s620ti vs s600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what makes the s620ti scubapro's flagship ? - as stated by the SP managing director.
I think at the time it had the best work of breathing numbers among the models in production, because the exhaust channelling helped it surpass the G260 etc. But then they released the D420 with the same exhaust T and it took the flagship position (?)...

I think thats the person to be asked that question !

To me, out of the current line up, the best all around reg woukd be G260
I agree the G260 is awesome (same barrell design btw). For tech diving, cold water etc., it seems better. For travel, and neglecting a reg in saltwater (think liveaboard), the S620ti is great. And some people like smaller regs.

I think this is a very important feature (not just icing :) ) for those who dive in salt water.
Sure, I won't argue against that :)

I could manage with a brass reg, but the titanium needs less rinsing and maintanance. Doing my own servicing I doubt I'll ever need an ultrasonic bath for cleaning this 2nd stage. Scubapro gave corrosion a lot of thought in this design, avoiding disimilar metal connections most of the time. I went all crazy and put the titanium jam nuts from the 620-X-Ti on my s620ti (The X-Ti has a titanium front plate, and where the hose attaches it has a titanium jam nut and washer...

So what makes the s620ti scubapro's flagship ? - as stated by the SP managing director.
The titanium.

I doubt there is much difference in WOB between a Mark 17/Mark 25 G260 vs the S620ti but the titanium would reduce maintenance (IMO).

I wish instead of a stupid carbon fiber cover for the latest high dollars version of the G260 that would put a titanium air barrel in there and a titanium Mark 17 would be icing on the cake. Well, aside from a weight difference, the Mark 17 is already impervious to about anything but I will take a titanium air barrel pretty please Scubapro. Or stainless steel or monel.

You know, just an observation, opening up a number of G250 regs of late, I have not found corrosion of the brass and chrome air barrel to be a significant issue.

James

I wish instead of a stupid carbon fiber cover for the latest high dollars version of the G260 that would put a titanium air barrel in there and a titanium Mark 17 would be icing on the cake.
OMG, they would get my money for sure... The Mk11T 1st stage is a masterpiece, they should make more 1sts like that.

Most of all though, I am glad they returned to a simple full barrell design like on the G250.

... but I will take a titanium air barrel pretty please Scubapro. Or stainless steel or monel.
Agree totally. Just a comment on Monel: Monel is only corrosion proof in open flowing coditions. That alloy actually corrodes if stagnant saltwater is trapped on it ("crevice corrosion"). I restored several T2X monel pistons that were not sealed correctly. Air/saltwater pockets in the lube, or no lube left at all under the seal. At least it restores very nicely with polishing applying the @rsingler method.

On top of that monel corrodes stainless steel when in saltwater. and direct contact. A Monel wire in contact with my dive knife corroded chips into the blade. Someone reportedly sank his boat because the monel bolts holding the steel plates together corroded the steel. So my vote is for steel and titanium for regs.

It's all about marketing and popularity.
The basic barrel design mechanisms in the BA, G250, S600, G260, S620Ti are ALL THE SAME, but for tiny bits.
The C-series actually made an improvement on the barrel airflow by moving the spring (through which all your air has to pass) BEHIND the poppet and out of the way.

So did the C-series take over the market as "flagship"?? No. It just doesn't sell as well, and Scubapro isn't putting the marketing behind it. Too bad, because I think it's the best of the small case designs with a barrel mechanism.

What DOES the S620Ti offer? Lightweight and completely neutral in the water. Titanium barrel for no corrosion as mentioned by @Nemrod . Good exhalation flow due to positioning/size of exhaust valve.

Except the G260 breathes just as well. And the case is more rugged, hence the enthusiasm here.

But for best flow AND good exhaust work of breathing? The D420 is now in the lead, IMO. It's center balanced poppet has an extremely short air path to the mouthpiece. It has a directed flow exhaust path that makes work of breathing close to zero. It has a pre-loaded valve in the standard diving position that makes underwater (not surface) cracking effort close to zero. But it's not familiar to most service technicians that are too young to remember the D400, which means that your chances of getting poor tuning are higher.

Flagship? That's something that performs well AND sells well AND has something premium in it to raise the price (titanium).

Best choice depends on your needs...

Need rugged and totally reliable performance with a design ANYONE can tune? That's G260
Need lightweight and top performance? That's S620Ti
Need best flow in the worst conditions? D420 (but you need a good shop tech).
Need ultra-reliable performance in the worst conditions? Get a good downstream with only two moving parts.

My 2 psi.

The titanium.

I wish instead of a stupid carbon fiber cover for the latest high dollars version of the G260 that would put a titanium air barrel in there and a titanium Mark 17 would be icing on the cake.

James

OMG, they would get my money for sure... The Mk11T 1st stage is a masterpiece, they should make more 1sts like that.

Most of all though, I am glad they returned to a simple full barrell design like on the G250.

As an option, but not as an upgrade.

I'm here in this thread because I won't be able to use my s620 ti on technical dives - because of titanium reacting to technical gas-mixes.

I'm here in this thread because I won't be able to use my s620 ti on technical dives - because of titanium reacting to technical gas-mixes.
That's too broad of a statement, I do not see any problems using it as a back gas reg. Especially as a backup reg (due to it's smaller size). The highest O2 I have ever put in the back it 32%. It's the same as recreational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom