A quick look inside the s620ti vs s600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think thats the person to be asked that question !

To me, out of the current line up, the best all around reg woukd be G260
Interesting as my G260 is my primary and my 620ti is my secondary. I find the G260 an excellent breather

Perhaps the idea was that any 2nd stage (e.g. backgas) must be able to be swapped onto any LP hose with a failing 2nd stage (e.g. deco mix) while underwater and owing deco. If one does this level of dives, the S620ti has limitations, although 100% O2 at low presure swapped in an emergency underwater should not cause problems. There are even aluminum HP 1st stages for oxygen (read an article about that by FLOTEC somewhere).

Perhaps the idea was that any 2nd stage (e.g. backgas) must be able to be swapped onto any LP hose with a failing 2nd stage (e.g. deco mix) while underwater and owing deco. If one does this level of dives, the S620ti has limitations, although 100% O2 at low presure swapped in an emergency underwater should not cause problems. There are even aluminum HP 1st stages for oxygen (read an article about that by FLOTEC somewhere).
I have never heard about swapping your working backup back gas 2nd stage to put it on the deco bottle. I find this being a very bad idea as you are losing a way to donate your primary (which will be the deco at that time).

I do not even see how you can do it having backup on a short hose.
More over I can hardly see how the 2nd stage should fail to require a swap. Deco bottle can always be feathered and even if the stage is totally leaky you can still breath of it, obviously with some loss of gas.

The gas plan should include at least one lost gas at least without doing any monkey business swapping the 2nd stages and still being able to complete the deco obligations.

I have never heard about swapping your working backup back gas 2nd stage to put it on the deco bottle. I find this being a very bad idea as you are losing a way to donate your primary (which will be the deco at that time).

I do not even see how you can do it having backup on a short hose.
More over I can hardly see how the 2nd stage should fail to require a swap. Deco bottle can always be feathered and even if the stage is totally leaky you can still breath of it, obviously with some loss of gas.

The gas plan should include at least one lost gas at least without doing any monkey business swapping the 2nd stages and still being able to complete the deco obligations.
Makes sense. I do not even like the idea of fingertight 2nd stages, but seem to remember some people wanting to be able to swap. I am not set up for this personally.

Makes sense. I do not even like the idea of fingertight 2nd stages, but seem to remember some people wanting to be able to swap. I am not set up for this personally.

Just as an aside, the reason for finger tight was to allow swapping in a spare second stage. For example, a team of three cave divers might among them carry a spare second stage. Finger tight allowed for a no tool swap. With the equipment and systems we have today this might be an obsolete practice.

That 620ti sure is pretty. If I had the money-------:wink:.

James

That 620ti sure is pretty. If I had the money-------:wink:.

James
The S620ti is a bit more expensive than the G260, but the additional cost is not enormous.
279 Eur for the G260:
375 Eur for the S620TI:
That's 34% more.
It is probably worth the additional cost, considering the advantages, albeit I still favour my several bullet-proof 109-156, properly upgraded and tuned.
However I appreciate a compact, neutrally-buoyant 2nd stage, with no weight on your teeth...

The S620ti is a bit more expensive than the G260, but the additional cost is not enormous.
279 Eur for the G260:
375 Eur for the S620TI:
That's 34% more.
It is probably worth the additional cost, considering the advantages, albeit I still favour my several bullet-proof 109-156, properly upgraded and tuned.
However I appreciate a compact, neutrally-buoyant 2nd stage, with no weight on your teeth...

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack the thread. If I were to get the 620ti then I would also be wanting the titanium Mark 25 since there is not a titanium Mark 17. It would be the weight out of my kit as well as the weight out of my mouth.

I just bought a Mark 17 with G260. I love it and need another G260 or R195 to complete it. Then I will make a decision on either the Scubapro titanium 620 or the Atomic. Maybe with my allowance in the coming year I can be all fancy like some of you guys.

The 109 and 156 are desirable and I have a very mint set. But, I am not especially impressed with the stiff exhaust due to the little 26mm exhaust valve and restrictive manifold. The G250 is where my love is at the moment, reinforced polymer case, large 30mm exhaust valve and VIVA. And, I may be wrong and our purposes probably differ as many of my buds are also smitten with the 109/156, but, brass regs peel chrome, corrode, dent and become unsightly too fast and require too much TLC compared to the brutish and industrial G250. I know that is an opinion but another opinion is that it would take more of a knock to put a polymer G250/G260/620ti out of action than the thin brass bodied 109/156. I know, I know, sacrilege to beat up on the 109, I do not care, but they are the prettiest regulator ever made :) . The G260 is not ugly or unfortunate by any means but that 620ti is a beauty :wink:.

James

279 Eur for the G260:

375 Eur for the S620TI:

That's 34% more.

What advantages, other than the titanium barrel?

What advantages, other than the titanium barrel?
Smaller. Lighter. More easily carried for travel. Better as secondary reg, less bulky when left under your chin with bungees.
Neutrally buoyant, not heavy as my 109s...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom