A security alarm system that you probably already have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone the simple route - no valuables. Not even sure why I lock the door...

Bryan

Short of Airsix's (who I am guessing is military) dedication, or having the intruder arm's length away, hitting someone with a pistol is not simple in the dark when you're jumped up.

I have a 12g, 9mm, and 7.62 all with lots of ammo. They are not my home defense, though. I have kids, and my guns are all locked up tightly and would be useless in an invasion situation. I have other means (that don't leave me relying on trickery), including a family plan of action.

ReefGuy:
You guys ever test fire a pistol as something in the dark? With adrenaline pumping?

12g with single ought buck. Duckbill attachment. Done deal.

Yup.

I've even "test fired" a pistol after being "stun gunned".

12 gauge/0 buck too much for inside.

I got some really cool 12 gauge flechette rounds. A few with square shot as well.

I'm not sure what hubby's home security plan involves but when people call me and say "This is _________, your husband said I could come out and hunt mushrooms please don't shoot me." I think his plan involves telling people his wife is a gun-toting psycho. This isn't necessarily a bad reputation to have if you spend any kind of time alone in an isolated house.
Ber :lilbunny:

DandyDon:
Also charge your cell phone on your bedside table every night. A burglar may cut the phone wire coming into the house, but you'll have that handy. Be prepared to give emergency dispatch your exact address - in the US, your 911 address as even in areas where the cell phone tracking system has been upgraded, it will not give your address. In much of the US and I suppose the rest of the world, no tracking info is available to the emergency operator.

In 20 total years of law enforcement experience, both in dispatch as well as a sworn officer, I have NEVER come across a situation where someone's residential phone line was cut.

I'm not saying it never happened, but I am saying you're more likely to find cut phone lines in bad horror movies than in real life. Particularly in newer residential developments where the utilities are all run underground and concealed.

More common is the police being UNABLE to get help to someone in time because they chose to call 911 on a cell phone, rather than a landline, and for some reason were not able to accurately give their location, or worse could not complete their call because of a dead battery and/or the inability to lock on a cell site.

I also agree with the replies about car alarms. I have little faith in them for their intended purpose, and even less faith in them as personal safety devices.

Ok, I stand corrected again...

In the US the cell phone companies are being required by federal mandate to make all phones E-911 trackable, but not to the exact address, and many local systems aren't up to it anyway. If the house phone works, that'll give the 911 dispatcher your 911 address instantly.

Many younger adults are doing away with land lines, tho - just cell phones. In those cases, charge it by the bed, and have your 911 address ready to give precisely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom