A very cautionary tale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver's Main Forum > Accident Reports and Analysis > Edd Sorenson saves the day, again!!
Thats coming up as a private forum my end

You just need to register to see it.

registered still can not see it

A mod has to approve your registration manually. Might take a few hours for someone to get to it.

The moderator who posted the father's story for him has written to him to ask if he's okay with having it posted here. As soon as I hear that it's okay, I will post it, and edit the title of this thread so folks can know it's here.

Thanks for sharing this TSandM! From someone who has no training (or interest) in cave diving, stories like this really make you stop and think about the dangers of diving beyond your certification and training. Hopefully people will realize the dangers inherent in such a specialized form of diving and acquire the appropriate training and skills needed to safely execute these types of dives.

i could easily see how people can talk themselves into doing things that they know they should not be doing. last weekend i dove at morrison springs. i am only OW certified so i had no intention of penetrating an overhead environment. i spend a while hanging out around the cavern entrance looking at eels and freshwater flounder. being it crystal clear water for the first time was deceptive. i could shine my light into the cavern and see for quite a good distance. before i knew it my head was full of thoughts about how easy it would be to go take a peek and see what it was like. fortunately i have spent a fair amount of time in the incidents forum and know enough cave divers to keep my decision making in line. but i can easily see where the allure comes from.

It's a good example of how a series of failures to actively make good decisions can lead to a split-second bad decision that, in this case, way against all odds, did not happen to turn out tragic, and we get to hear the tale (I doubt dad would be so willing to talk about it if his daughter hadn't survived).

Very good read.

I can fully appreciate "the last run of the day" in a ski trip analogy. I was exactly that when I was on the slope. Thinking it is the last run of the day, I will pick a longest run on the slope, and most likely one of the more challenging one. And little do I realize it is getting late in the day, horizon is getting darker, and I am most tired. It is not the best time to take risk. I will definitely keep think in mind next time I am on the slope or in water.

I haven't read the article over on CDF but jeesh I so know what you mean by that. I was so dumb. Not only would I do all the things you said but I would tuck it in and point it down the mountain to be the fastest run of the day.

I still have a scar in my nose from the stitches...

It's a very powerful read and lesson. Well worth the patience and effort to access.

Thanks Lynne for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom