A warning about o-ring kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I bought what looked like a good idea at the time. It was a 90+ piece Viton o-ring set at what seemed like a reasonable price. But it turned out to be kind of like sushi samplers . . . a whole bunch of things you don't want or need, and very little that you're happy you got. So far, I've found it doesn't have the o-rings for spindles, the o-rings for drysuit inflator valves or exhaust valves, and has only a few DIN regulator or yoke valve o-rings. Lots of tank neck o-rings, though -- which I suppose would be useful if I did my own VIPs.

After making a comment about this on Facebook, I've learned other people have bought similar sets and found the same thing. So I'd advise against purchasing a set like this.

(Please excuse me if you have seen this elsewhere -- I'm irritated enough that I'm going to crosspost this on some other boards as well.)

I have a couple of these,

oringkit.jpg

They do contain what I need and then some.:D

Last edited:
Hi TSandM:

Sorry you got what sounds like a bum deal. O-rings it seems is a favorite topic of DIY'ers and those who just want to be prepared. Having a ton of o-rings that no one uses and none that you do need puts you in an odd situation and it seems as there isn't one kit that fits all (but it seems as if 300bar is pretty happy).

Here is a thread about o-rings and then a thread about DIN o-rings. I carry o-rings for my equipment and then sized ones for what are common for others. I am no technician but I would offer to help the lost or unprepared at the neighborly level.

Also, these two listed threads have common sizes listed for equipment. I have additional sizes for things such as the Scout light o-ring, the Suunto Vyper battery hatch, and a few o-rings for various styles of test tube lights (for those who have one and eventually when I get one). I have a couple of other sizes but admittedly I can't remember what they are for as I don't have them in front of me. The Airspeed Press books have a lot of sizes listed as well.

My recommendation would be to pick up a few o-rings from an online distributor like McMaster Carr, Parker, or my favorite AOPTec. With AOPTec, there is a minimum of 5 USD purchase, but that could be 5 different sizes and up to 50 o-rings. Surely you could assemble a kick butt o-ring kit and have spares to dole out as needed for about 20 USD. I keep mine in labeled baggies but you could easily go to someplace like Harbor Freight for a small divided box or a sporting goods store for a fly tackle box. Heck, you could even use your existing box that you have and just fill in the compartments with your newly purchased o-rings.

And finally, maybe pepper your kit with a mix of Viton and Nitrile. Viton for HP oxygen applications or where extrusion might be a concern, and Nitrile for economy and everything else.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

With kindest regards,
Thpmas

Last edited:
you probably should have gone to McMaster Carr and ordered some of what you really need.

Please keep in mind also, that not all assortments are created equally. Some contain more of the rings you may use more frequently some not so much.

Earlier this year, I bought what looked like a good idea at the time. It was a 90+ piece Viton o-ring set at what seemed like a reasonable price. But it turned out to be kind of like sushi samplers . . . a whole bunch of things you don't want or need, and very little that you're happy you got. So far, I've found it doesn't have the o-rings for spindles, the o-rings for drysuit inflator valves or exhaust valves, and has only a few DIN regulator or yoke valve o-rings. Lots of tank neck o-rings, though -- which I suppose would be useful if I did my own VIPs.

Even though it's more expensive than it should be, Trident has a nice assortment in a small kit that actually seems to fit stuff I own, including hoses, various tank valve faces and SPG spools.

Terry

I just bought a kit from Piranha Mfg. Looks like it contains a bit of everything and for what I thought was a decent price. I was actually looking for tank neck o-rings and found that this kit contained them. For what I would have paid for just the tank o-rings I got more.

Hi TSandM.

It is a real pain but, I found O ring heaven at Austin Seal. The business specializes in O rings and nothing else. I got tired of paying Oly $10 a ring for my camera housing and got them through Austin Seal. Austin Seal is where all the LDS's go to buy rings.

Not much help to you in the NW, but there has to be a similar shop in your neck of the woods. Take the rings you want matched and they should be able to take care of you. BTW, my Oly rings were a very strange size and we got a perfect match.

I bought a Viton kit from ebay, that was a baggy full of o-rings, for really cheap, somewhere around $7.00 or so. Seems I have needed a lot of o-rings for different projects not always related to scuba and it has come through a few times, but I have three other o-ring kits to choose from too. I would buy the same kit again no question about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom