A warning about o-ring kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. I got that same kit. It looks cool at the dive site, like you are prepared with everything possible, but then I usually end up digging out my box with the individually bought O rings.

Actually that kit has come in handy for things around the house.

The first thing you need to do is determine what are the different sizes you need and are they US or metric. That is the difficult part but generally they is enough difference that comparision of the old one to a new one works. If most or all of the threads on a regulator or piece of equipment are metric chances are the O rings will be also.
After the sizes are determined order them in bulk quanties and store them in plastic compartmented boxes available at Wal Mart in the fishing section. Write the size in each compartment on the lid with permanent marker. I have five ten compartment boxes with O rings.
Another tip is to buy nylon washers from a hardware store in various sizes. They work as gaskets for burst discs and other places.

I've gotten some of those ready-made kits too and ended up with gobs of o-rings that never seem to be needed. On the other hand some I always run out, and then some sizes I never seem to find from the pack. I have resorted to buying the ones I most need in bulk separately. Like I need 111 for Apeks regulators, they never seem to come in adequate numbers anywhere since they are metric.

Also, why isn't there ever more than tops one round of inflator o-rings in any pack? Anyone remember the numbers for those o-rings? I sure need to order some more. Needed to change all while searching for a leak in one inflator, and all spares gone again...

Nope, these kits don't have every Oring you'll ever need. But, on the other hand, the shop I used to work in charged $1.50-$3.00 per Oring, so for the ones that did work, the kits are a cheaper way to go. I get mine from Harbor Freight.

oring1.JPG

Some uses include:

The big ones folded double and looped through themselves around a "D" ring or back plate side hole make great connectors for light canisters when used with a quick link (the reason for an elastic link there is if the canister gets caught, you can break or cut it free). Also, put around webbing, they are great to secure backup lights and for retaining webbing ends.

oring_link1.JPG

The smaller ones work for manifold and valve stem Orings, some light switch Orings and some reg and hose issues.

They don't work for yoke valves, tank necks (those take 3/16" thick and the kits I have only have 1/8" thick max) and many of the regulator internal Orings.

Again, you won't find a kit that contains everything you'll ever need, but for the ones you do need, the cost of the kit is about equal to buying 3 Orings through a dive shop, so it's cheap insurance when you're out at a remote dive site...

Last edited:
Maybe THIS chart will help.

Awap has a nifty chart for o-ring sizes for all the various scubapro applications. There's also a good chart in the Vance Harlow book that's a little more general.

Somebody should definitely make a sticky of all the o-ring numbers from different sources. I would but I am not trustworthy as I can't proof read errors.

Edit: Oh looks like that's what Ken was doing.... gotta follow that thread to find out if the Photon Torpedo o-ring size pops up...

Maybe THIS chart will help.

Nice chart, but, one must review either the the maintanence manual for one's equipment or disassemble one's gear and find out what O-rings and soft parts are need as opposed to buying such parts off of a genaric chart. Otherwise as TSandM has found out, you end up with a bunch of extra stuff that is of little use.

I personally don't understand why manufacturer's do not provide blow-apart charts like Kirby Morgan does http://www.kirbymorgan.com/PDF/Blowaparts/scuba_regulators_blowapart.pdf
It really makes it easy to order the pats you need and provides a road map to repair/rebuild your equipment.

really, most divers only need a few to save a trip.

010 hose hp
011 hose
012 hose
013 hose
014 tank yoke
111 DIN
112 DIN
214 tank 90
the rest can be 70 durometer

If you've got a couple of each you're probably good to go for almost anything on a dive trip.
( hope I didn't forget any )

I'd add spindle o-rings or spindles to that -- that seems to be one of the things I replace most, after inflator o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom