A warning about o-ring kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe THIS chart will help.

I totally forgot about Reef Scuba, but I think that is where the charts originated. Also, you can customize your kits to avoid the exact problem you ran into.

I have ordered from Reef Scuba and they were efficient and their prices were awesome too. I ordered some hardware but I have not ordered o-rings from them.

I just did a quick check, and aoptec.com, for less than $20 you could put together a kit of 5-50 pcs of evert o-ring on the Reef Scuba list. That's using Viton 75 where they list Viton rings, nitrile (buna) 70 for the others, except nitrile 90 for the tank rings. If you went all nitrile, you'd have a minimum of 13 of each size. If you want Viton 90 you'd have to go somewhere else.

I'm thinking seriously of putting together a kit of these o-rings, and adding ones for my dive lights. Has anyone ever seen a list of o-rings for lights?

D

Wht don't you make your own. The O-rings on most decompression chambers are nothing more than a long piece of rubber rod/thread, sliced at a 45 degree angle and tacked together with glue. If you have a need for a larger O-ring, or a custom size, making one might be a better option than hunting all over the world for one.

I am not suggesting that anyone make parts for their regulators or tank valves because they are life support equipment.

Wht don't you make your own. The O-rings on most decompression chambers are nothing more than a long piece of rubber rod/thread, sliced at a 45 degree angle and tacked together with glue. If you have a need for a larger O-ring, or a custom size, making one might be a better option than hunting all over the world for one.

I am not suggesting that anyone make parts for their regulators or tank valves because they are life support equipment.

I don't know of any reason why one would want to fool around making one when a pack of 100 of standard sized VITON can be had for 5-6 bucks, often times less. Also "most" O-rings used in scuba are standard size so for the sake or reliability I'd suggest buying them.

Ok, what's the standard size for a C8 dive light?

I just got a viton (shore 85A hardness) kit from Piranha Dive (has deals on SB) for $49... then I saw this thread and got scared to death..

So, what I got was 10 each of 14 different sizes, a nifty case.. three dental tools and two packets of O2 grease. The sizes include 8 of the 11 viton ones (including the two that reef does not have) and all are listed except one on the other list. Don't need the 1/2 tank oring.. so that leaves 8 out of 10... and those 8 would cost over $70 from Reef.. and I can always add to the case ... I feel a lot better now... thanks guys.

Ok, what's the standard size for a C8 dive light?

As I said "MOST" not "ALL" if you should care to read the post I made.

If it's a UK C8 I think it's the same size as the SL4 which is a 123 O-ring. Measure it, I'd bet a standard size fits. ( measure the light, not the old O-ring )

Back
Top Bottom