Absolute "Minimalist" Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But what do I know, I'm classified as an "extremist" on SB.
I don't know why I waste my time here. I see my exit from this board coming up very soon.

I hope you reconsider Eric. I like reading the "extreme" view. I agree the modern diver seems as much interested in style as substance but there is room in the water for everyone. The new divers mark time for me. Looking at what the future became in diving. I dove for over 40 years and as I read the equipment questions and comparisons I realize I know nothing of what today's divers are using. I do enjoy greatly reading about what the extreme divers are doing. It's probably what I'd be doing if I was 20 instead of 61. Adventure-Ocean

I dove in Lake Tahoe doing exactly what you are describing.
I would snorkel behind my kayak pushing it along and when I would see something interesting on the bottom in about 30 feet (the vis in Tahoe is easy 100 ft) I would grab my 30 CF pony that I had rigged with a strap and a MK2/R190. I would just hold it and dive down to retrieve whatever it was a I saw. I scored a big Marlboro beach towel that is still may favorite dive towel and a bunch of golf balls. The crawfish were abundant too.
But there's not much difference in doing that to just putting a 72 on your back with straps and doing the same thing.

But yeah, I would say you touched into a minimalist diving in Fiji.
And It was fun wasn't it?
Did you miss the BC or feel you needed one?

Did the golf ball shrivel up and get real small too?

I have never been a big one for Christmas tree diving... I think some of the innovations have been good. I like BCDs, I have to wear something with my tank so I don't carry it under my arm. I like PDC because it gives me interesting information like depth, water temp and bottom time. I have an octopus just in case I am diving with a Buddy, not particularly useful, but I did use it as my primary when the mouth piece on my regulator tore off. My compass is my friend, wouldn't think of putting my head underwater without it (not really true, but I use it on almost ever dive, so...). I have my BFK, cause... well...because.... it is my BFK... I have an extra knife (more accessible than my BFK). A lot of modern dive gear is nice to have, but within reason. I like to know fun facts, but if my computer battery failed, doubt I would cancel a day of diving (at depths less than 60 fsw). What I have kept as a minimalist thing are my certs. I have one. NAUI Basic, issued in 1980. It certified me to 130', I learned the tables and spent an entire winter in the pool and read the New Science of Skin and Scuba cover to cover a few times.

No boat cert
No beach Cert
No navigation cert
etc...

These young whipper-snappers can go find articles explaining all sorts of useful **** and they don't feel comfortable about rolling off the side of a boat without paying someone $75 dollars to explain it to them and giving them a pool test on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom