Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In talking with my friend who was in that training group - to whom should they direct their details about the situation?

-Sean.

If your friend has any info then they should not post here they should call padi directly at 1-800-7297234 and ask for legal dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your friend has any info then they should not post here they should call padi directly at 1-800-7297234 and ask for legal dept.

+1

That's what I meant :)

Legal

Last edited by a moderator:
for all you other experts anyone can call padi to find out what standards are as to make informed statements just call 1-800-729-7234 and rember if you were not there you really dont know anything and stirring everything up is not going to help anyone

At this point no one knows all the facts, and the investigation is still ongoing. All of the appropriate scuba, law enforcement, and insurance agencies are already involved.

Please let us all refrain from any speculation as to any possible cause for this tragedy. As we know diving is risky and that is why we train, to mitigate the risk and to be prepared.

Let us all direct our energies, thoughts and prayers to the family, friends and the rescuers of this event as it has surely touched the lives of each.

Respectfully

Errol Duplesses
CEO, Lake Rawlings
http://www.LakeRawlings.com

Last edited:
Let's review the rules of the A&I Forum, shall we?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.

In talking with my friend who was in that training group - to whom should they direct their details about the situation?

-Sean
I really suspect that the proper investigators will be in contact with him. Only if he feels he has important information that was missed would he need to take additional actions, and there are cautions about doing so even.

What your friend needs is support. Being at the scene of such a tragedy will hit anyone hard. The Instructor and the husband/buddy even more so. I hope all of the students can find it in themselves to finish their OW training and go on to become safe but comfortable dives.

If folks have information there is no reason not to post here. There is no legal requirement to only communicate to padi legal or law enforcement, sure they should be cc'd however I doubt they'll ever share that info publicly.

I personally believe that 6 to 1 is too high for new open water divers, especially without a DM. There should be specific visibility per student standards as well.

I disagree with a previous poster, diving can be dangerous. You can lose your life doing it, this isn't something that agencies want to focus on as it is bad for marketing but it's the truth.
I believe the probability is sufficiently low that the rewards are worth it, however that's a decision I make and involve my family in that risk assessment. Others should do the same.

If folks have information there is no reason not to post here.

I think it would be very interesting to hear from someone who was actually in the group and get their perspective on what happened. Maybe not today or tomorrow but I would hope one of the group at some point would do so.

If it was the dive center noted in a previous post I wonder if they did the one weekend or three evening classroom and pool course.

Splash Dive Center - (Alexandria, Northern Virginia) Welcome

Not much time to get people comfortable with those conditions.

In situations like this it is best NOT to speculate on the circumstances. Diving is dangerous and our focus as the local diving community needs to be on helping the family and allowing those directly involved discover the why, who, and what.

Persons with details of this incident are free to post here any time. In the absence of that, speculation is discussed, and it is actually allowed in this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom