Accommodation for cheapskate dive buddies who don't want to share a bed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking around for two-bedroom condos for January, only finding stuff well beyond my price range (say $700 a week? bit more if we have to), and wondering what alternatives there might be, walking distance to downtown, that would give me and my dive buddy each our own bed, ideally each our own room.

I have gotten Hacienda San Miguel for about $60 a night at cheaptickets.com using the promo code. There is the Bahia, Casa Mexicana and beaucoup other places.

Suites Bahia is super cheap. And they have two beds if you'll share a room. Low wall between them. Fridge and microwave. Plus a great breakfast a block away.

You can get very cheap lodging in Cozumel. Hotel Mary Carmen is only about $30 a night, and La Casona Real is only about $35 a night. You could each get your own room, or go real cheap and get one room with 2 full size beds. And La Casona Real is only 2 blocks straight back from the Plaza and even has a pool. I've stayed there - it's clean and friendly, AC works, bathrooms are a bit tight, but workable, and location makes it easy to walk everywhere. You won't have facilities to cook your own meals, but you can eat pretty well on Cozumel for $25 a day or less if you stick to the locally owned places like the family run loncherias and the taquerias.

Another vote for Suites Bahia and Suites Colonial. There's almost always an Orbitz offer of 15% off, and rooms often come in around $36.
Couple of beds, great breakfast at Casa Mexicana. Figuring breakfast in at a conservative $10 (prob worth more), the Suites get really cheap.
Snacks and drinks in the little fridge, more savings.
It's across the street from the sea, only a couple of blocks from el Centro, a few more to grocery, with restaurants and dive shops all around.

La Casona Real is only about $35 a night. QUOTE]

$85.00 Low Season, $100.00 High Season, less 50% during May, Sept. and Oct. (per their site).

Hotel Mary Carmen looks like it could be had for &29.00 per night --- no prices on their website, but went to Trip Advisor, and from there to Hotels.com. and that was the price quoted. I don't trust Hotels.com as far as I could throw them, but worth a shot.

We've stayed at Hotel Caribe on Calle 2 Norte between 15th & 20th. The rooms are very basic, but spotlessly clean,ac works, and they have a better than adequate pool. Very quiet.

The website they had no longer exists, but I'd guess that you'd be able to get a room even during high season. Again, a guess, but I'd imagine price would be in the $50.00/nite range.

Found a link for email communication: https://www.zonaturistica.com/en/hotel/20822/caribe-cozumel.html

They have rooms with 1, 2, and 3 beds, with complimentary pastries and coffee in the mornings.

Last edited:
Another vote for Suites Bahia and Suites Colonial. There's almost always an Orbitz offer of 15% off, and rooms often come in around $36.
Couple of beds, great breakfast at Casa Mexicana. Figuring breakfast in at a conservative $10 (prob worth more), the Suites get really cheap.
It's across the street from the sea, only a couple of blocks from el Centro, a few more to grocery, with restaurants and dive shops all around.

I agree with either the Colonial or the Bahia, the included great breakfast buffet at the Mexicana makes it an unbeatable deal. I checked thier pricing from Expedia and Orbitz and it seemed oddly high, trip advisor was closer to correct. You might contact Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos ( dive@trespelicanos.com ) as she is also a travel agent and does alot of bookings with the Mexicana group of hotels (Colonial, Bahia, Mexicana). In the past she has gotten me some excellent deals on these hotels.

I just looked it up, and we paid $287.21 for a balcony room at Suites Bahia for 7 days from CheapTickets (using CheapTickets was less than the hotel+diving discount offered by our op) with all taxes included. Pre-tax it was quoted as $33 a night. Although it was not the pricier ocean view, we had a lovely ocean view from the side.

Not sure if all the rooms have them- but we had a full sized fridge (with freezer), not a little fridge. We definitely used it to keep leftovers and snacks, which did save us money for sure!

Back
Top Bottom