Accommodation for cheapskate dive buddies who don't want to share a bed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Essentially. The downstairs is 2 Queen beds and a full bath. The upstairs is a kitchen, Queen bed, full bath, and cable tv. Hot water, AC both upstairs and downstairs plus wifi. Kitchen is 2 burner stove, microwave, toaster oven, full size fridge, and coffee maker.

Keep the suggestions coming, folks! Thank you!

As for the kitchen, this is an area of discussion with the buddy. In theory it is cheaper to cook for ourselves, but not if having a kitchen bumps up the price of the accommodation.

FT:

As for the kitchen, this is an area of discussion with the buddy. In theory it is cheaper to cook for ourselves, but not if having a kitchen bumps up the price of the accommodation.

For what it's worth, Suites Bahia also has a kitchenette. Sink, refrigerator and microwave. They used to have stoves but I dont think they do anymore; At least all the rooms I have gotten.

It's been a year since I've stayed in Suites Colonial but I think that's also the same case. The kitchens are bigger/separate and may have a stove top but I can't recall. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

I usually make a big run to Mega (grocery store) and buy the essentials like beer, fruits, snacks, coldcuts, bread and make sandwiches.

You'll save money on breakfast with Suites Bahia and Suites Colonial. Figure you're saving $10-20/day if you went out for breakfast every day.

No kitchen in my Suites Colonial room. No fridge, coffee maker, etc. I got a 5 gallon bottle of water at the OXXO store, sit it in my closet, and poured into plastic jugs I took.

No kitchen in my Suites Colonial room. No fridge, coffee maker, etc. I got a 5 gallon bottle of water at the OXXO store, sit it in my closet, and poured into plastic jugs I took.

Interesting..I wonder if it's only certain rooms with a kitchenette now

Website still states kitchenettes with refrigerator or at least a refrigerator in studios on their website. I guess they'll need to update that.

Accommodations | Suites Colonial Cozumel | Mexico

FT:

Most vacations I'm all on board with cooking to save the costs of meals. (Heck- even my honeymoon we ate turkey sandwiches and macaroni and cheese to save money)- but Cozumel there is so much good, and a lot of inexpensive food options that I wouldn't give that up. So I would only get a place with a kitchen if it cost less than the options without them.

That said; having the fridge + microwave meant we could store drinks, snacks and leftovers. That was really nice and I would always want to pick a room with at least a mini-fridge.

I didn't put almost any value on the included breakfast (though it looked excellent and I wish I could have partaken more) because I can only eat a few bites before diving.

Most vacations I'm all on board with cooking to save the costs of meals. (Heck- even my honeymoon we ate turkey sandwiches and macaroni and cheese to save money)- but Cozumel there is so much good, and a lot of inexpensive food options that I wouldn't give that up. So I would only get a place with a kitchen if it cost less than the options without them.
My game plan for Cozumel is to eat PB&J on toast and OJ in the room for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwiches and beer in the room for lunch, and a different restaurant every night for dinner.

I can go without breakfasts, but I enjoy a good one if it's in the package. I do take a couple of antacid tabs before diving, whether I eat or not. I got irritated with our breakfast deal at a connected hotel because the buffet was never ready at 7am and my ride was leaving at 7:45.
My game plan for Cozumel is to eat PB&J on toast and OJ in the room for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwiches and beer in the room for lunch, and a different restaurant every night for dinner.
I thought BA included breakfasts? I think OJ bothers some people on boats & diving.

Back
Top Bottom