Accommodation for cheapskate dive buddies who don't want to share a bed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

La Casona Real is only 2 blocks straight back from the Plaza and even has a pool.

Yeah, but when I stayed there the pool didn't have a ladder or steps...

We stayed at La Casona Real for two weeks at Christmas when we'd rented our house before making holiday plans. The location was superb for our needs. We were able to walk to all sorts of places for meals (El Pique is a block away, El Chino Marinero closer), groceries and supplies (Super Aki is a block away), etc. although we did have a car. The rooms were just fine and the hotel was quite decent, especially for what we paid for 2 rooms at high season. If for some reason I couldn't stay at my house again, we'd certainly stay there again.

When we stopped by in October 2013 in person to book, the manager told us we'd get a better price online. We paid $627 per room (for two weeks that included both Christmas and New Year's - the height of high season) through Expedia. Right now at Expedia you can get a room for a week in mid-January 2016 for $38 per night for either 2 double beds or a king bed.

Last edited:
I've been staying at Suites Bahia and it's sister hotel Suites Colonial for almost 12 years at this point.

They both have great locations, walking distance to everything in town and an unbeatable breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana.

Prices have definitely went up a little bit but you can still get it under $40/night with Orbitz or RatesToGoCoupon. I used to find it around $35/night with coupon in low season. It's looking like about $40/night in August right now with promo code.

Orbits used to do a $200 off flight/hotel combo but I haven't seen that coupon lately. I've been booking a lot through RatesToGo which I believe is owned by Orbitz. It seems to a few bucks cheaper than Orbitz for some reason.

Two rooms, private bedrooms, private/separate bathrooms - :thumb:
I've been staying at Suites Bahia and it's sister hotel Suites Colonial for almost 12 years at this point.

They both have great locations, walking distance to everything in town and an unbeatable breakfast buffet at Casa Mexicana.

Prices have definitely went up a little bit but you can still get it under $40/night with Orbitz or RatesToGoCoupon. I used to find it around $35/night with coupon in low season. It's looking like about $40/night in August right now with promo code.

Orbits used to do a $200 off flight/hotel combo but I haven't seen that coupon lately. I've been booking a lot through RatesToGo which I believe is owned by Orbitz. It seems to a few bucks cheaper than Orbitz for some reason.
The old $200 Orbitz coupon is long gone. The airlines really are making it hard for travel sites to sell their tickets at all. Sometimes you can find good packages thru the airlines' respective vacation sites. It's all shop & find?! I got Suites Colonial for $30/night including taxes & breakfast in May. Trivago.com claims to shop them all for you, but they don't. Hotel.com does a good job with a rate guarantee, so when I booked thru them, then found the room cheaper elsewhere in the interim - I requested a refund and got it.

It's strange, but in some Hotels in Cozumel you can get the best rate by dealing direct with the Hotel, while others will give you the best rate if you go online to one of the discount travel sites. When I stayed at La Casona Real, the website did indeed quote a price of $65 a night, plus taxes, and when I called the Hotel directly, that was the price I was quoted, and they wouldn't budge. But when I went on Hotels.com, I got a price of $38 a night, taxes included. I've had experience with other hotels where dealing direct with the hotel, and haggling, will get the best rate. Pick two or three hotels and check rates online - at several sites, like CheapTickets, Hotels.com, Trivago, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. Then take the best rates you find, make some calls, and see if you can do better booking direct thru the hotel.

It's strange, but in some Hotels in Cozumel you can get the best rate by dealing direct with the Hotel, while others will give you the best rate if you go online to one of the discount travel sites. When I stayed at La Casona Real, the website did indeed quote a price of $65 a night, plus taxes, and when I called the Hotel directly, that was the price I was quoted, and they wouldn't budge. But when I went on Hotels.com, I got a price of $38 a night, taxes included. I've had experience with other hotels where dealing direct with the hotel, and haggling, will get the best rate. Pick two or three hotels and check rates online - at several sites, like CheapTickets, Hotels.com, Trivago, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. Then take the best rates you find, make some calls, and see if you can do better booking direct thru the hotel.
All too true. In some cases, the sites contract with the hotels so that the hotel cannot quote a lower price than agreed - but the site can. Some poor hotels try to go without the sites, but the sites retaliate by showing those hotels sold out - and Google is happy to put your hotel on page 2 if they don't like you. The internet should make shopping easier, but does just the opposite. I think the worst resouce is Google Maps hotel suggestions.

With gopbroek on this one.....The Colonial is everything needed for a "less is moar" dive week. Clean rooms, 2 Queen beds, central location. 20 minutes walk to just about anywhere in town... and free breakfast at the Case Mexicana, which quite frankly..is pretty damned good.

Figure $50 a night split 2 ways...doesn't get any cheaper any better.

The alternative, and I HIGHLY recommend you explore this option, again is, Jeanie at Tres Pelicano's. 7 nights and 5 days of 2 tanks for $550 bucks?....I mean..really...Call Jeanie...let her work her magic.
dive@trespelicanos.com

Best of luck..have FUN!!

Bubs

Last edited:
Does FT need a kitchen? The condo wording suggests that. Hacienda San Miguel did have a two room unit along with kitchen.

It's not that strange, actually. Room brokers like hotels.com buy rooms from hotels at a deeply discounted rate and sell them for whatever they think they can get, which is less than the rack rate that the hotel publishes. The hotel makes up for the lesser income per room by having assured sold rooms. The hotel may not want to sell any more rooms at a reduced rate, though, so they may quote you the rack rate firm if you talk to them directly, since they cannot put you in a room they have already sold to a broker. Once the brokers have unloaded all the rooms they have bought, you have to deal with the hotel.

Last edited:
I just priced Suites Colonial on Hotel.com in January. :eek: Haha, good luck on that boys. The good news is that they guarantee the price so if you find it cheaper later, ask for a refund and get it. But you have to keep shopping, and call, and besides - it's a small hotel, doesn't even have a sign (luckily my tricycle porter knew where to take me), and if it sells out, no more deals. January is the worst time to go, with nortes, highest prices, weather delays getting there in the dark of winter, etc.

Like plane tickets, your best shopping is about a month in advance of travel dates. Most of us like to plan further in advance, but those guarantees come at a premium.

Private multiply level apartment with courtyard and pool and kitchen and 3 queen beds and...
Less than $30/night.
30 peso ride to downtown.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5509653

Back
Top Bottom