Advanced Open Water Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98:
For first time there, just dive.

Get your aow later, just have fun on this trip.

Lemme see, aow choices can consist of: boat diving, drift diving, night diving, deep (103ft) diving, and maybe a navigation.

Hmm, no navigation stuff on Coz trip (do that in a lake with low vis), but you'll get experience in everything else.

Just have Fun!

Actually, the AOW course is designed to be fun. While there are a few skills required, it is nothing like doing OW or rescue training and most of the dives are for the most part "normal" dives applying concepts and practicing buoyancy, etc. The deep dive is required to be performed at a depth of greater than 60 ft, and no more than 100 ft per PADI standards.

The navigation dive requires the most thought, but is also a fun dive if the instructor makes it fun. Although the visibility is great, you can still learn and practice compass navigation skills. Believe it or not, even in good visibility you need navigation skills in certain instances.

To address Mel's question, Gordon had a good answer. However, to clarify something...there are no depth "restrictions" by what level diver you are. These restrictions if they were restrictions would not apply to an AOW student since they are in training and actually MUST do a deep dive. PADI and the other agencies have "recommended" depth limits based on training and the environment in where you are diving. A 60 foot dive in the lake is nothing like a 60 foot dive in Cozumel's environment. My point is that Cozumel conditions are optimal and the depth limits here are based more on the divers comfort level, air management and specific conditions at the site.

Some shops do have policies regarding depth limits, but again, the depth limits are recommended, not restrictions. The exception to this is during training dives. There are depth restrictions for all trianing dives depending on which dive it is and what level.

Hope this answers some questions.

We did our AOW with Christi, it was fun and simple. Did the bookwork before we left so once we got to Coz it was quick and Christi just integrated it into our week long dive schedule, no big deal.

I'll have to echo what Gordon said and that is an AOW cert does not make you an advanced diver, only skill, ability and "experience" will do that. An advanced dive site is just that, it may have nothing to do with depth.

If you haven't many dives under your belt and would feel more comfortable with an instructor, then getting your AOW while you're there "would" be an excellent way to go and build up your confidence level. Having the card will also open some doors on dives that you would otherwise not be able to participate in. Christi's course sounds so good I'm almost sorry I already have mine:)

If you go deep on any of the dives while you're there keep a "CLOSE" eye on your gas consumption and NDLs. Have at least 1000 psi when you start your ascent or even better make a multi level dive out of it.

I'm very happy that I got my AOW cert card. One dive operator in Florida would only take AOW certified divers to wrecks. I don't believe, however, that AOW divers are always necessarily more skilled than those with juse Open Water. Experience and quality dive practice matter most, but getting more training is always a good thing in my opinion.

I am going to do my AOW in August for several reasons--- it will allow me 5 more informational dives under the care of an instructor,,,,,,build my confidence and skill level. I know I will in no way be an Advanced diver in terms of expc.,,,but will be worth the time and $$ and will help to make me a better diver.

texdiveguy:
I am going to do my AOW in August for several reasons--- it will allow me 5 more informational dives under the care of an instructor,,,,,,build my confidence and skill level. I know I will in no way be an Advanced diver in terms of expc.,,,but will be worth the time and $$ and will help to make me a better diver.

Fabulous reasons all. Have an excellent time!

As to wheather to get your AOW in Cozumel or at home, I think it depends on where you live. If you have the ability to do the necessary cert dives at home, I'd just enjoy your vacation and the cert from a LDS that you already know and trust.

From what I've seen, classes in Cozumel (and many other dive destinations) aren't cheaper. Plus, I've observed some pretty shaby training in Mexico.

On the other hand, I plan to get nitrox certified on a liveaboard.

Back
Top Bottom