Advanced Scuba cert questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is an excellent skill addition to deep diving. This implies you have also had the students learn their SAC, which is also gernerally not covered.

Air consumption at depth or how to calculate is not covered at all IIRC in PADI training, it is all about NDL. Had a eyeopening experience early on about watching air supply at depth, just did not have it drilled into me how fast you use it when deep. When new, divers mostly use up air before NDL time. I sure did, especially with a somewhat small steel 72.

This article was derived from the gas management portion of my AOW curriculum ... one of our dives includes taking gas consumption measurements under both "normal" and "stressful" conditions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, if you take my AOW class you will have to calculate how much gas you need for the deep dive before you ever get in the water. I'll challenge you to tell me how many NAUI instructors do that.

If memory serves me right, teaching the calculations of SAC Rate is part of the NAUI entry level course, Scuba Diver, and thus the review of this matter in upper level courses including ASD is essential and should be taught/reviewed by NAUI instructors. I don't think that there is any magic about. (Doesn't NAUI still have the SAC Rate Calculator?)

Your description of how you run you ASD course clearly demonstrates the benefit/value of the NAUI "dogma" of setting the "minimum" acceptable standards for the course but allowing and encouraging the instructor to exceed these standards (within reason of course).

I do believe, however, that the NAUI standards for all courses including the SD course have more requirements at various degrees when compared with other agencies' standards. These "extras" become more visible as one moves further up in the NAUI course pyramid.

Safe Diving!!!

First off I wanted to say thank you to all of you that posted! WOW! My first post and all this great info! Yes its a PADI school in my hometown. You have all given me alot to think about.

Did you know that you can become a NAUI instructor with as little as 60 dives? I don't know any right-minded NAUI CD that would allow it ... but the standards do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is scary to even think but I too can't think of a NAUI CD allowing a diver with only 60 dives to become an instructor.

I dont want to turn this into a NAUI vs PADI deal in respect to the topic but I feel that NAUI's standards are set a little higher then the rest.

That is scary to even think but I too can't think of a NAUI CD allowing a diver with only 60 dives to become an instructor.

I dont want to turn this into a NAUI vs PADI deal in respect to the topic but I feel that NAUI's standards are set a little higher then the rest.

Guys! Come on! you can start the Divemaster course in PADI with 20 Dives!!!! isn't it quite the same?? Oh, you need to finish it with 60, that puts you in the perfect place TO BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR! hehehehe

Potato, Patata, Tomato, Tomate.... :idk:

Guys! Come on! you can start the Divemaster course in PADI with 20 Dives!!!! isn't it quite the same?? Oh, you need to finish it with 60, that puts you in the perfect place TO BECOME AN INSTRUCTOR! hehehehe

Sort of true ... the major difference between agencies isn't so much what gets taught, but how. What this means to the typical recreational scuba student is that a given agency's approach may or may not be the best fit for how you learn.

The only agencies I know of at the recreational level that truly do have higher than typical standards are GUE and UTD ... and that seems to make a lot of folks angry ... :idk:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I learned how to fly, my instructor told me a private pilot's certificate was nothing more than a license to learn (and sometimes get in trouble). I guess I view the PADI OW much in the same way - it's a ticket to learning and you have a heck of a lot to learn. So it's hard to fathom an instructor that has just around 60 dives or a Divemaster with 20. I've seen the courses advertised at resorts - OW to Divemaster in xxx days. It doesn't seem right. It gives the impression that it's more about the money you can make giving out bolo badges over carrying about people's qualifications and ultimately, their safety.

In the long run, it doesn't matter which agency is better or worse, but it's the smart student who looks to the teacher with experience and background and builds on their own before moving ahead. Nothing takes the place of experience.

When I learned how to fly, my instructor told me a private pilot's certificate was nothing more than a license to learn (and sometimes get in trouble). I guess I view the PADI OW much in the same way - it's a ticket to learning and you have a heck of a lot to learn. So it's hard to fathom an instructor that has just around 60 dives or a Divemaster with 20. I've seen the courses advertised at resorts - OW to Divemaster in xxx days. It doesn't seem right. It gives the impression that it's more about the money you can make giving out bolo badges over carrying about people's qualifications and ultimately, their safety.

In the long run, it doesn't matter which agency is better or worse, but it's the smart student who looks to the teacher with experience and background and builds on their own before moving ahead. Nothing takes the place of experience.

I believe that this is the very idea of the whole threat :surrender:

Can't wait for my Advanced Cert!! Just go a primary light, secondary, knife, sausage, this light attachment thingy, free boat dive from my LDS, my reading material, everything ready for AOW.

SOOO EXCITED :D

ScubaDivingInstructor.com:
Complete Pro Career Package

This package is unique in Asia and takes an experienced diver (prerequisite to enter the program is to be a certified advanced diver with NAUI or any recognized agency, with a minimum of 30 dives) all the way to professional Instructor level and beyond.
It is a 25 days training program which is scheduled on special request and carried on with a maximum of 3 candidates per program to ensure maximum attention during the training.
The program involves the following NAUI courses:
-First Aid/CPR
-Oxygen Provider
-Rescue Diver
-Master Scuba Diver
-Assistant Instructor
-ITC
-First Aid/CPR Instructor
-Oxygen Provider Instructor
Price: 3,300 US$

How many days does it take to become an AOW diver (with any agency) and log a total of 30 dives? Take that answer and add 25 days to get the total days required to become a NAUI Instructor and beyond, from never dived before status. :idk:

Also, a new NAUI Instructor is allowed to teach most (if not all) Specialties, with no additional training or experience.

In comparison, PADI requires the prospective instructor candidate to have been a certified diver for a minimum of 6 months before starting the IDC, and instead of NAUI's minimum 60 dives PADI requires a minimum of 100 dives.

That new PADI instructor would have to receive further training from a CD &/or show/claim further experience (more dives), for each Specialty they are allowed to teach. (and unfortunately pay a fee for each additional Specialty they are allowed to teach :shakehead:)

...but I feel that NAUI's standards are set a little higher then the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom