Advice from the Pro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am currently thinking about "what I want to be when I grow up", and am trying to figure out what I should get a 4 year degree in. I love to dive (recreational) and firmly believe in doing something I love as a career.
That being said, I would like to solicit advice from the scubaboard "panel of experts" as to what degree paths they think would enable me to couple my diving with a job. I would like to explore the possibilities OUTSIDE of the Tech diving field.
I have my associates and can pretty much go any way that catches my fancy when it comes to the 4 year degree. I have looked at Marine Biology and Oceanography, but am interested in finding out what else may be out there.
I am fully aware that there is a risk of "ruining" the fun diving if I combine it with a 9-5, but that is a risk I can assess after I explore the options. So, any suggestions?
Oh yeah, I am currently living in NW Florida with a very demanding full time career. I can go to school locally and do a large assortment of distance learning to get the majority of the "pre-reqs" done. After that, I would have to look at relocation to do the resident-type classes. My job pays for my schooling, so that really isn't a factor.

give any engineering degree a second thought ... maybe mech. :wink:

IF your interested in running into the DM/Instructor feild, a degree in tourism or hospitality goes a long way, especially if you want to work in a dedicated dive resort.

If you are open-minded, there is always marine biology and things assosiated with it. There are experiments like putting things in sponges and seeing what happens to them over time and of course diving is a useful tool to have! Lots of interesting things to see and go but I can't really give much more detail than this. Might be worth looking into as a suggestion though.

U/W archaeology, U/W forensics, Geology, any marine biology class, Structural engineer specializing in oil platforms. There are a lot of programs out there mapping wrecks for the states, Indiana University runs Florida's keys federally funded program.

http://www.indiana.edu/~scuba/

Capt Grumby:
So I am currently thinking about "what I want to be when I grow up", and am trying to figure out what I should get a 4 year degree in. I love to dive (recreational) and firmly believe in doing something I love as a career.
That being said, I would like to solicit advice from the scubaboard "panel of experts"
Find a job that pays really well, doing domething that isn't SCUBA then use the money to dive where and when you want.

The people I know who dive for a living (welding, pulling bodies out of the lake, etc.) seem to have the joy sucked out of the sport for them.

Terry

maged_mmh:
give any engineering degree a second thought ... maybe mech.
03.gif
I agree with Maged. consider having a engg degree within your CV.

Engineers in civil, mechanical, or electrical disciplines sought everywhere. Accountants with international tax experience are also highly marketable in this global economy. Attain accreditation as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and you can gain a good amount of flexibiity in your work environment.

Cap'n Ed

I predict: the ability to speak Chinese will be the "secret to success" for your generation. Couple that with a technical degree, and you will be a standout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom