Advice needed ... Semi-dry Or Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semi-dry? You're either wet... or you're not.

Um, yeah, your getting cold, you just don't know it.
Dive dry and you will never go back.

As far as helping with classes, you better go dry. While the students that are wet will be in the water for an hour or so, you will most likely be in the water double that long.

If you can stay an hour in 40 - 50 degree water in a 3.5 mm and still know your name then save your money and keep diving your 3.5 mm. Otherwise bypass the semi-dry and go dry, then you will really be able to stay in 40 degree water for an hour or more.

let's see...

1. You live in TGWN.
2. You are a DMC.

Hmmm....

DRYSUIT!!!!

Nuff said. :wink:

If you're looking at holding onto your pennies (at least temporarily) you could just add a 7mm hooded vest on top of your current wetsuit - that will set you back a lot less than going semi-dry and help delay the inevitable.

If you're looking at drysuits in the Nexgen price range you may also want to consider the Whites Nexus, I was thinking of getting a NexGen from LP last year but found the Nexus at my LDS for a similar price. I wear a Bare XXL Short wetsuit (5'9½" 225lbs) but the White's XL fits well.

Don't forget to add the cost of your undergarments, rock boots & new fins (yup - you'll probably need bigger fin pockets to accommodate the rock boots).

so I've gone the other way. I have a drysuit, and recently bought a semi-dry for more temperate waters. I for one like getting a little wet in the water and buoyancy in a wetsuit or semi dry is a lot easier than in a drysuit.

I've dove the semi-dry here in monterey in a pinch as well. The benefits are that its easier to maintain, better maneuverability in the water, and all around simpler. Its also easier to pack for travel.

benefits to the drysuit: its warmer, surface intervals are warmer, you can change out of it and be in dry close right away. did I say its warmer:D

I like both. I wear both for different reasons. When helping with classes the semi-dry is definitely better since I dont want to bang up the drysuit helping students (especially in a rescue class) i probably dive the dry more locally though.

I think I'm just gonna go for the Trilam HD Tech Dry.

the Flexibility is Key for me and a dry suit will offer me this while keeping me warm in and out of the water.

I might add a Semi dry to my Gear closet later, but I know I'm going to need a Dry suit to dive the Bell Island Wrecks in NFLD so I might as well bite the Bullet now.

Thanks for your input.

If you want flexibility get a whites Fusion suit.
I was amazed when my wife dove one.

You can always tell the instructors down at the Blue Hole (NM) as they ARE DRY!

That water is 62F. But I know instructors that teach an OW, AOW, and specialties all during one weekend, and they end up in the water for six hours or more a day. Doing that wet could be a problem.

I don't own a White Fusion, but I want one, and may end up with one in the future. I dove that suit, and it was sweet. More like diving wet than dry, and very flexible.

I have a Mares semi-dry and a Pinnacle Evo 2 (bought it used). Same situation as you, money was tight so I bought the Mares first. It works well and I do stay dry but is a royal pain to get on/off. Now that I have the Evo my son uses the Mares. If I had to do it over I would go straight to dry.

Back
Top Bottom