Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the SCUBA industry. There are some very good instructors in the world, a very limited number. The rest are so amazingly ignorant that you wonder how they put their pants on in the morning or count to 10. You’re lucky he was just a bad instructor and not one that was teaching you completely wrong.

If you dive long enough you will get to witness instructors so horrifically bad you wonder why they’re not in jail. (actually, you will meet some that were)

Just wait for all the fun you will have in dive shops.......remember "if you heard it in a dive shop it's probably wrong...."

I think your situation is another argument for taking your course either locally or in a location where you can be absolutely sure the instructor can fluently communicate in one’s native language.
Yea, there are many instructors from multiple countries. I should have taken the course in Cairns, Aus, as where I live. There are hundreds of dive shops in my town. Well I tried to save some money plus traveling. As a matter of fact, i saved some money but wasted my time and emotions :(

Look forward to have better experience in advanced course :)

We did the weight check during pool session and before we desended on our first dive. He told us our weights are ok.
During the lectures there should have been mention of the difference in buoyancy between fresh and salt water. Unless the pool was sea-water you did your weight-check in freash water. so its not suprising there were buoyancy issues when you moved to the sea.

Then he started to yell at my buddy like "I said you do safety stop!" Then she told him that she tried but her body was just pushed to the surface and was not able to go back down there. So she was swam to grab the reference line to go back down there. Then he was like "You already learnt!!!" "Your body blah blah!!!!!" I couldn't really hear what he was yelling about. Then she was like "what??!!"

Many instructors can be 'agressive' but then sometimes students are 'sensitive'.

If your representation of this interaction is accurate, I don't see how this can be dismissed as a student being overly sensitive. I know next to nothing about diving, having just finished my OW certification, but I know a thing or two about teaching, and this is not how it's done.

I screwed up and shot to the surface during one of my dives. We were doing the underwater compass navigation and my buddy kept slipping above and behind me, making it difficult to see her. She had been having trouble throughout the course--anxiety, difficulty equalizing, using her arms a lot-- so when she didn't catch up to me even after I stopped swimming for several seconds, I turned to see if she was all right. I tried to get level with her, but she just kept going higher. Suddenly I was rising fast; I tried to vent my BC, but wasn't quick enough on the draw. One of the assistant instructors followed me to the surface and asked if I was all right. I explained what happened, and we descended together again and did the exercise over. He maybe could have talked me through what I did wrong, or checked to make sure I was properly weighted, but at least he didn't yell at me. That's never appropriate. If someone messes up, teach them to do better. If they refuse to listen, put them back on the boat. Sounds like your buddy just needed more instruction.

Considering you are already there and it's almost over, how about you concern yourself less with other people concentrate on yourself and try and learn some more about diving, interpreting for your new friend the instructor.
Get your ticket, do some extra dives on your new friend the instructor or join the next course for free as your new friend the instructors interpreter and when you have all you can get, and then some, then get out of there

Considering you are already there and it's almost over, how about you concern yourself less with other people concentrate on yourself and try and learn some more about diving, interpreting for your new friend the instructor.
Get your ticket, do some extra dives on your new friend the instructor or join the next course for free as your new friend the instructors interpreter and when you have all you can get, and then some, then get out of there
Good idea, but I always read from PADI that today's student barely has enough time to do the quicky 2 weekend course, much less TWO of them. Sacriledge! (tongue in cheek).

Leave them a bad review, that’s probably the only thing that will make them change.

If you dive long enough you will get to witness instructors so horrifically bad you wonder why they’re not in jail. (actually, you will meet some that were)

Just wait for all the fun you will have in dive shops.......remember "if you heard it in a dive shop it's probably wrong...."

Are majority of divers smoker??
It seemed all divers except me were smoking on deck constantly. I had no choice to avoid it. (I'm a non-smoker, but i respect their rights of smoking. Only thing i wish is they smoke only designated area)

I was feeling a little ironic from them they sound like they really care about ocean's health and marine life but don't care about human's health) we all know that second hand smoking is pretty bad.

I even smelled marijuana but no one cared...

Are majority of divers smoker??
It seemed all divers except me were smoking on deck constantly. I had no choice to avoid it. (I'm a non-smoker, but i respect their rights of smoking. Only thing i wish is they smoke only designated area)

I was feeling a little ironic from them they sound like they really care about ocean's health and marine life but don't care about human's health) we all know that second hand smoking is pretty bad.

I even smelled marijuana but no one cared...
I think they are more smokers in the diving community than the average population in developed countries. For some reason I see a lot of divemasters and instructors smoking during intervals. Maybe it attracts a certain type of people more prone to smoke somehow ?

I know passive smoking is bad but I think people have as well a right to enjoy themselves to a certain extent. I am an ex-smoker so the smell really annoys me, but as long as I can go somewhere else I put up with it.

I am not too sure why it bothers you so much than someone else smoke marijuana though. Unless you are stuck on a boat next to them ?

Also I think that marijuana use should be decriminalised as it would cut money from the trafficking which seems to cause more issues than the use. But that’s another topic :)

I think they are more smokers in the diving community than the average population in developed countries. For some reason I see a lot of divemasters and instructors smoking during intervals. Maybe it attracts a certain type of people more prone to smoke somehow ?

I know passive smoking is bad but I think people have as well a right to enjoy themselves to a certain extent. I am an ex-smoker so the smell really annoys me, but as long as I can go somewhere else I put up with it.

I am not too sure why it bothers you so much than someone else smoke marijuana though. Unless you are stuck on a boat next to them ?

Also I think that marijuana use should be decriminalised as it would cut money from the trafficking which seems to cause more issues than the use. But that’s another topic :)
The issue with marijuana on a boat has the implication that someone is likely to be impaired. We, as divers generally have a rule of thumb that the first alcohol of the day means diving is done for the day - the same rule should be in place for weed. I certainly would prefer not to be buddied with someone who is buzzed.

BTW I tend to agree on the decriminalising bit - Canada have just done it and it doesn't seem to have had any major issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom