Advice on DR BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody out there know anything about DiveRite Custom Singles DGX BP/Wings? Seems to be a good (sale) deal at $299. As near as I can tell, it's a basic hog harness, 25 lb wing, tank straps, crotch strap...looks like aluminum BP comes with it or pay $20 xtra for SS

Shopping for first BP/W so I need some input preferably from people who are familar with this particular BP/W or at least something similar. For the record, my current BC is a back inflate and for the time being, still plan to keep diving singles

Thoughts?

I'm not sure exactly what wing you're talking about, but if it's the travel exp it's likely a very good deal. Get the steel plate if you need the ballast, IOW if you dive with 6-8lbs or more currently. Another rough rule of thumb is that with AL tanks, the steel plate works better, vice-versa as well but there are lots of exceptions and opinions. For $20 extra, I would definitely get the steel plate.

Here is another option I have been diving this w/ Hog ss plate and a dive rite trans plate harness 2 ss cam straps
a good deal to
Hogarthian Custom Harness Package

Anybody out there know anything about DiveRite Custom Singles DGX BP/Wings? Seems to be a good (sale) deal at $299. As near as I can tell, it's a basic hog harness, 25 lb wing, tank straps, crotch strap...looks like aluminum BP comes with it or pay $20 xtra for SS

Shopping for first BP/W so I need some input preferably from people who are familar with this particular BP/W or at least something similar. For the record, my current BC is a back inflate and for the time being, still plan to keep diving singles

Thoughts?

Are you referring to the Dive Rite packages from Dive Gear Express? Like this: https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

You also need to look at what you will be diving as far as tanks, weights, and exposure protection. Is a 25 lb wing going to be enough? A good deal is not so good if your wing does not have enough lift.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Are you referring to the Dive Rite packages from Dive Gear Express? Like this: https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

Yes and no. Same bunch (Dive Gear Express) but they have a special going on for $299. The top selection on the site you sent was what I was talking about but $299 as of now...called them yesterday to ask how long the sale was...they didn't know

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 03:06 PM ----------

I'm not sure exactly what wing you're talking about, but if it's the travel exp it's likely a very good deal. Get the steel plate if you need the ballast, IOW if you dive with 6-8lbs or more currently. Another rough rule of thumb is that with AL tanks, the steel plate works better, vice-versa as well but there are lots of exceptions and opinions. For $20 extra, I would definitely get the steel plate.

Look at the site that Krawlings sent

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

Sorry, That was Lorenzoid

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 03:12 PM ----------

You also need to look at what you will be diving as far as tanks, weights, and exposure protection. Is a 25 lb wing going to be enough? A good deal is not so good if your wing does not have enough lift.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a Fla. diver and so, 3mm shorty or 3mm full. Currently using AL80 but thinking of going to HP100. And that's the rub concerning BP & weights

It's a good deal, and the 25lb travel exp wing will be plenty of lift for warm water in a 3mil suit. Dive rite makes good stuff and I've had good experiences with them for service.

I know several people who have purchased that exact item from DGX recently. My only criticism is that it comes with the Scubapro style tank straps (with the D ring that goes into the notch). I just don't like them, but it really is a personal preference, and I know at least four people who have recently bought that package and are loving them.

I have the same wing and it's perfect for Florida recreational diving.

Also, if you do end up getting it, remember to order like 5ft of bungee from DGX. For whatever reason they do not include it with the package, and you will want it to make a loop(s) to secure your inflator hose. I'd say 5ft just in case you mess up or find yourself needing to fashion something else.

If you want to move into a hog/DIR setup, you may want to order some boltsnaps and caveline to rig up to your hoses

Dive Rite wings are great. Mine (Voyager EXP) has nearly 100 dives on it and still looks brand new. Nice compact shape, doesn't taco.

Make sure you're getting the Dive Rite stainless cam straps with your package. These are really high quality. Do yourself a solid and get a Single Tank Adapter as well. Not essential, but it adds another pound of negative buoyancy, and makes your tank mounting completely bomb proof. It also makes your backplate modular: you can easily unscrew the tank & wing setup with 2 wing nuts and swap for doubles, etc. down the road.

If you know you'll be using a scooter someday, get the wider crotch strap (2"). If you're certain you won't, 1" is more comfortable. If you're not sure, you can split the difference and go 1 1/2".

Also I wouldn't advise messing around with "deluxe" harnesses. The basic Hogarthian works great for most people, there are fewer points of failure, and I think continuous shoulder straps are easier to don: they hold themselves open more readily and are less prone to twisting.

To secure the BC hose, I just thread a large elastic ponytail holder into the same tri-glide as the left-hand shoulder D-ring. These things cost next to nothing at the drugstore, and the size is perfect.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom