Advice on "less" expensive dive computers with transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I'm finally getting my first set of dive gear after about 80 dives. I live in Kansas City, MO, so the only diving I do is when I travel - typically 2-3 trips per year. I just do recreational diving in the tropics, but I may dive cold water some day (but definitely would be a rare thing). I do occasional deep dives (120-130'), but nothing more advanced than that really. I don't dive Nitrox or anything (yet), but may give it a try at some point. Anyway, I haven't done much research on dive computers yet other than trying to see what all is out there. I don't want to spend much more than $600 or $700, but I would like to have a watch computer with transmitter. Any experience with these computers and which would you recommend? Will these ones all report the air pressure at the surface (I saw user reviews on an older model that wouldn't)? Do any of these ones have issues keeping the pressure signal?

1. Aeris Epic - found for just $575, but this model is around 6 years old (I'm sure that has a lot to do with the relatively low price). I like the look okay - can't tell how big it is (I'd prefer smaller) as I haven't seen it in person. I'm leaning towards this one because of a few good user reviews, okay styling, and the low price.
2. Tusa Zen Air DC - found for $678. Sounds like it's a newer computer, but I haven't seen many reviews for it yet... I like how it looks, but a smaller face would be better for my skinny wrists (although it is smaller than the big pucks)!
3. Hollis DG03 - Also a newer model, but haven't seen user reviews yet. I can't tell, but it looks like the face is really big? Something I'd prefer to avoid...
4. Oceanic Atom 3 - found for $680. There's only one review on LeisurePro, and it's very bad - but the Atom 2 reviews are also not very good. Is the one bad review of the Atom 3 an outlier, or is this not a good unit (like the Atom 2 seems to be)?

I know there are some nicer ones out there at $1,500+, but I can't justify that much $. I really like the idea of having everything in a watch and having one less hose to worry about so the wrist computers with transmitters are really attractive. Which would you all suggest for my needs? Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited:
Why are you worrying about hoses? Just get a wrist computer and use a SPG on a 24" hose clipped to your BC. You won't even know it's there except when you need to check it, maybe 3-4 times/dive.

Those transmitters also make tempting handles for the uninformed as well as add an extra battery that can die and screw your dives for the day or longer if you don't have an extra one.

I am in agreement with Jim and Halolcine. Why transmitter? Before you think I am bias, I used to use transmitter. In fact, I still have my Aeris Elite Pro with transmitter. I took of the transmitter and just use the wrist units now. One mainly reason is exactly what Jim described, and because like Halocline says, I don't find SPG hose is issue at all. If you insist to have a low cost wireless AI, make me an offer. PM me! :)

Thanks for your thoughts! Good points, and I certainly understand them, but there are a few reasons I'm interested in the AI:

1. I really like the idea of having everything in one device right there on my wrist. And a nice, somewhat compact one that I can wear as a watch for the whole dive trip will prevent me from losing it.
2. It's one less hose and gauge to carry around and fiddle with on my dives. I want to go as streamlined and simple as possible. I'm planning to do an Air2 on my BC as well (instead of an octopus) for the same reason...
3. Although I may rethink this (would suck if something did happen and I couldn't monitor pressure), it could be one less item to purchase - computer + SPG / hose isn't that much less than some of these AI computers... At least, that's what I'm telling myself.
4. I guess it's kinda cool? :wink:

Plus, I don't do tech diving or anything - it's more about simplifying things to make my dives as enjoyable as I can.

Jim, thanks - I think I'll put some bright tape on it and maybe some sort of "hands off" icon :)

eelnoraa, why did you quit using the transmitter? Thanks,
--Kyle

Bump! So any recommendations on any of these computers? Are any of these better at maintaining the transmitter signal? Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited:
I really like my Oceanic Atom 2.0. I started with the Atom 1.0, used it for years. My only problem with it was that it ate batteries pretty quick. Well, earlier this year, it started having problems and only worked sporadically. So I called Oceanic about getting it fixed, sure that it wouldn't be cost effective. They let me exchange it for a new Atom 2.0 for only $160, which I think is a great deal. The Atom 2.0 looks the same, but has one really nice feature the Atom 1.0 didn't - it shows your tank pressure without having to hit a button. It also seems to be easier on batteries so far. Does way more than I will ever need it to do and it's nice and compact, but still easy to read. The Atom 3.0 you are looking at is the newest version of these, it should be even better.

I really like my Oceanic Atom 2.0. I started with the Atom 1.0, used it for years. My only problem with it was that it ate batteries pretty quick. Well, earlier this year, it started having problems and only worked sporadically. So I called Oceanic about getting it fixed, sure that it wouldn't be cost effective. They let me exchange it for a new Atom 2.0 for only $160, which I think is a great deal. The Atom 2.0 looks the same, but has one really nice feature the Atom 1.0 didn't - it shows your tank pressure without having to hit a button. It also seems to be easier on batteries so far. Does way more than I will ever need it to do and it's nice and compact, but still easy to read. The Atom 3.0 you are looking at is the newest version of these, it should be even better.

Thanks MrBobK! I think I'm going to get either the Atom 3 or the Tusa Zen Air. It looks like I can get the Tusa for less. Of the few reviews I've seen, the Tusa sounds like it may be a little more reliable with the wireless signal, but Oceanic has been making these for longer... I think either will probably be fine, but it's a pricey investment and I want to get one that will work well for a long time. Thanks,
--Kyle

A careful shopper can get two nonAI wrist computers and a separate hoes/gauge for about the same price as many AI computers. If one non ai computer dies, you are still diving. If you have only 1 AI computer and no separate gauge, your dive is over.

Last edited:
1. Aeris Epic - found for just $575, but this model is around 6 years old (I'm sure that has a lot to do with the relatively low price). I like the look okay - can't tell how big it is (I'd prefer smaller) as I haven't seen it in person. I'm leaning towards this one because of a few good user reviews, okay styling, and the low price.
2. Tusa Zen Air DC - found for $678. Sounds like it's a newer computer, but I haven't seen many reviews for it yet... I like how it looks, but a smaller face would be better for my skinny wrists (although it is smaller than the big pucks)!
3. Hollis DG03 - Also a newer model, but haven't seen user reviews yet. I can't tell, but it looks like the face is really big? Something I'd prefer to avoid...
4. Oceanic Atom 3 - found for $680. There's only one review on LeisurePro, and it's very bad - but the Atom 2 reviews are also not very good. Is the one bad review of the Atom 3 an outlier, or is this not a good unit (like the Atom 2 seems to be)?

I too would personally stay away from an old PC, such as the Aeris (which is a clone of the Oceanic Atom 2.0)
Don't know anything about the Tusa - other than it looks like one of the only AI's that include a transmitter in your price range
Hollis DG03 is going to be a larger PC. It is a console style "puck" dive PC is a wrist boot. I'm assuming it's based on the Oceanic VT3 since the VT4 is quite a bit more expensive.
Atom 3.0 with Transmitter on Leisurepro is reviewed pretty well. Oceanic Atom 3.0 Air Integrated Hoseless Dive Computer Watch (Complete System) Obviously it's exactly the same PC with an included transmitter. Oh and it's $1000 with a transmitter so doesn't really fit your price range.

Back
Top Bottom