Question Advice on wetsuit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whiskeyjack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, looking for some input from other individuals. I realize this has been discussed at length, but most of the time the responses seem to skew heavily towards people who run cold and say things like "I always use a 7mm if the water is under 25C" (maybe a slight exaggeration, but this is the impression I get), which is wild to me.

For some background, I currently live in the Philippines and most of my diving is done here. The only exposure gear I own is a sharkskin titanium jacket + pants + hood. This is about the equivalent of a 2mm neoprene suit in my understanding. The water gets down to about 23-24C at the coldest here, I have never felt cold using what I have now. The hood is basiaclly to prevent my ears from slapping during backrolls, and to contain my hair. If it's over 28C I'm probably wearing board shorts and a rashguard. I run warm in general.

I'm planning on heading to Socorro in December, with expected temps from 73-80F (22-26C). My searches on what people wear in Socorro turn up primarily advise for a full 7mm or 5mm. Am I crazy to think I'm fine with what I have currently, or maybe getting an additional sharkskin vest to put under/over my jacket if I feel chilly? Any others who run warm and have done 3-4 dives a day in 22-25C water want to chime in?

Does 1 degree really make a big difference? I'm loathe to sacrifice the neutral bouyancy of the sharkskin if I can avoid it, and moving from 2mm to 5mm seems like overkill.

Wetsuit schmetsuit it's late teens in celsius for me then first off the boat into the pub

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

Even with great trim and buoyancy I still manage to draw blood most dives
being millimetre close to all those rusty and sharp prickly ocean type things

And I'm worth it!

Does 1 degree really make a big difference? I'm loathe to sacrifice the neutral bouyancy of the sharkskin if I can avoid it, and moving from 2mm to 5mm seems like overkill.
Live and learn. Also don't believe all the temp estimates!

While no one can tell you how you feel in any given water temperature and you may very well do ok with what you have, it’s probably a good idea to arrange for a thicker suit to be available if the boat will provide it. Better safe than sorry .

Hi @Whiskeyjack

I went to the Revillagigedos May 24-June 1, 2019. The water was 22-23 C, 72-74 F. We did 19 dives in 5 dives, average dive time was 51 min. You are correct, exposure protection is individual.

I tend to be on the cooler side. I wore my 7 mm full suit and 5/3 mm hooded vest. I was one of the very few divers who stayed warm. Many divers ended up getting quite cold.

I'm going back June 11-21. I will take at least my 5 mm full suit and hooded vest. Nautilus has a Captain's Noon Reports that gives dive details for each day, including water temperature. Current water temperature appears to be 23-24 C.

What other people wear varies considerably based on their body type and individual tolerance for cold. More useful is knowing what the water temps are, and knowing your own exposure gear for those temps. I have been on dives where one person is in a rash guard and board shorts, I have a 3 mil and my buddy has a 5 mil and we are all comfortable. From your description it sounds like your usual sharkskin setup plus an additional jacket should work. That fourth dive in a day can feel chilly.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm quite comfortable diving up to 4 times in a day with my current suit down to 23-24 degrees.

I think I'll probably just get a hooded vest and call it a day. If I buy a 5mm I will rarely/never use it unless I go to some other destination like the Galapagos which is not in the cards for several years at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom