Advice on Wing/BP brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capucine971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am about to buy my first BCD, and would like some recommendations for wings / backplate set ups. I'd like to get the simple (one piece) harness with an aluminium plate and a 12.5 and a 28lbs blatter wing.

In the shop near me, they only carry OMS, Techline and the already assembled wing standard ZEOS28 by XDEEP. As I'd like to try them on first (still waiting for lockdown to be lifted to go to the shop), I think I will have to choose from these three.
Do you have any experience with these?

Also, I am still deciding on the material for the plate. I am drawn to aluminium because I usually dive in the tropics, but maybe a steel plate would be more "versatile"?. For information, I am a small (5"5, 100lbs) female and dive recreationally but also as part of my studies (scientific diving), usually in warm water.

Thank you all in advance :)

At your size, I would go aluminum for plate especially since you travel to warm water. I've traveled with my stainless and though doable it is heavy. The main advantage of stainless is less lead. Being only 100 pounds and diving tropics your not using much lead.

For wings I have no idea as I've only tried halycon.

I switched from SS to AL so I could add lead @ my waist (floaty feet). With SS, In a drysuit with fleece insulation, I didn't need any weight in fresh water.

DGX BC Systems
I've put together a DGX brand bcd. Pretty cheap, pretty easy to do, and gives you confidence about customizing it. There are a couple other pros to DGX over common brands as well, like the use of universal-ish (non-proprietary) dump valves and backplate designs. Swapping out bladders from singles to doubles is painless, and the overall bcd is pretty minimalistic, with no extra doodads or bobbles to weigh you down or complicate stuff underwater.

1. Aluminium plate.
2. 27lb(12.5kg) could well be a bit too big for her stature. Any smaller size?
3. No issue with OMS wing.
4. The suggested DGX system is good and FREE shipping if order over $250.00. No problem with this complete set. 30lb wing.

DGX BC Systems
I've put together a DGX brand bcd. Pretty cheap, pretty easy to do, and gives you confidence about customizing it. There are a couple other pros to DGX over common brands as well, like the use of universal-ish (non-proprietary) dump valves and backplate designs. Swapping out bladders from singles to doubles is painless, and the overall bcd is pretty minimalistic, with no extra doodads or bobbles to weigh you down or complicate stuff underwater.

OP is in France.

@Capucine971 I mentioned this in another thread if you order online is there someone that can help you fit the plate?

Because there are circumstances when you may have to take off or put on your BP/W in the water, you need to choose a wing with sufficient lift to prevent your rig from sinking (after ditchable weights are removed).

Personally, when using AL and smaller capacity ST cylinders, I use a 24 lb wing.
When using larger ST cylinders 100 cu+, I use a 35 lb wing.

This is what works for me, and I’ve never lost a BP/W yet.

Because there are circumstances when you may have to take off or put on your BP/W in the water, you need to choose a wing with sufficient lift to prevent your rig from sinking (after ditchable weights are removed).
What circumstances are those? I can't think of any off the top of my mind where recovering the bcd is an actual priority.

Back
Top Bottom