Advice to new divers: Never buy a integrated VELCRO only BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelly7552

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am the "proud" owner of a TUSA Platina 5500 which has 110 dives on it puchased new in 2007. As it ages, the velcro holding the integrated weights is weakening and about every 4th dive I can feel the weight drop. I've gotten to be pro at retrieving the pouch but this is no way to dive.

I called TUSA and they were clear that since the BC is out of warrentee, their is NOTHING they could do. Last TUSA product I'd ever buy; but more importantly, never purchase a used BC with velcro only integrated weights. This BC is actually problematic as it's not a very good idea to drop weights unexpectedly.

My solution to my problem is to sew on some clips to the weight pouch and get rid of it.

Bill

Bummer. Velcro looses its "sticky" over time when it comes to dive gear though so it is to be expected. Not really Tusa's fault. But yeah....crappy design if it keeps falling out like that...

You could remove the worn out velcro and replace it. you could also wear a weight belt.

yup wore a weight belt all last week diving, not much use owning and traveling with a really heavy BC if it's function is no longer useful. :(

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

Bummer. Velcro looses its "sticky" over time when it comes to dive gear though so it is to be expected. Not really Tusa's fault. But yeah....crappy design if it keeps falling out like that...

Why is it not TUSA's fault? The marketing concept of integrated BC's was eaiser to use, safer, etc. Why is their crappy design, which by the way only lasted about 1 year when they put clips on new 5500's, why is that not their fault?

Why is it not TUSA's fault? The marketing concept of integrated BC's was eaiser to use, safer, etc. Why is their crappy design, which by the way only lasted about 1 year when they put clips on new 5500's, why is that not their fault?

Because Tusa didn't invent velcro...

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

The marketing concept of integrated BC's was eaiser to use, safer, etc.

Also, there is nothing that makes integrated weights more easy to use or safer. In fact, removing integrated weights is probably more difficult than a simple weight belt. Bearing in mind that even a poorly trained monkey could do either one, I certainly would say it is less of a selling point for ease of use or safety rather than simple convenience.

I wonder how many BCD manufacturers created Velcro only BCD's with no clip other than TUSA?

I wonder how many BCD manufacturers created Velcro only BCD's with no clip other than TUSA?

SeaQuest did. And I think probably almost everyone else did, too.

Also, there is nothing that makes integrated weights more easy to use or safer. In fact, removing integrated weights is probably more difficult than a simple weight belt. Bearing in mind that even a poorly trained monkey could do either one, I certainly would say it is less of a selling point for ease of use or safety rather than simple convenience.

When I was a new diver in 2007, my research, my instructor and a few dives experience, convinced me that intgerated weights were better, i valuely remember, unclipping my BC instead of my weigh belt when practicing dropping weights. The gear we mostly learned on was scubapro integrated, we rarely used weight belts in open water traning. I agree with you about the ACTUAL safety of using a weight belt but that's me as a more experienced diver; but manufacturers and marketers should bear responsibility for a crappy product.

For some of us integrated weight BCDs are much preferable to weight belts.

That said, a velcro only weight pouch attachment does sound like a bad idea. Since this is in Basic Scuba Discussions, it's worth adding that many weight-integrated BCDs use other types of attachment - quick release clips, for example, and Zeagle has BCDs using a ripcord system.

Richard.

I agree and think it is a poor design as velcro does wear out and you will be pulling that velcro every time you dive. Something as important as weights on a diver- if you are going to design an integrated BCD you should think first and foremost for the safety of the vest. If it is a given that, over time the velcro will wear and cause the weights to drop, this is certainly something that should have been considered in the design phase of the product. God forbid, if someone has a diving accident that can be attributed to this issue, they will recall the vests and "fix them". Too bad it doesn't happen before that.......but that seems to be how things work. Here is hoping that anyone who has this type of BCD recognizes a potential issue and takes measures to prevent anything from happening even before the velcro begins to wear out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom