Advice to new divers: Never buy a integrated VELCRO only BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the "proud" owner of a TUSA Platina 5500 which has 110 dives on it puchased new in 2007. As it ages, the velcro holding the integrated weights is weakening and about every 4th dive I can feel the weight drop. I've gotten to be pro at retrieving the pouch but this is no way to dive.

I called TUSA and they were clear that since the BC is out of warrentee, their is NOTHING they could do. Last TUSA product I'd ever buy; but more importantly, never purchase a used BC with velcro only integrated weights. This BC is actually problematic as it's not a very good idea to drop weights unexpectedly.

My solution to my problem is to sew on some clips to the weight pouch and get rid of it.

My solution would be to find a lawyer, but that's just me.

Velcro is absolutely guaranteed to fail eventually, and the weights will fall out, which can easily be fatal on a deco dive.

They might as well make a regulator that dissolves after a few years. It would be safer. At lease you can share air. You can't share weights unless your buddy is overweighted.

flots

yup wore a weight belt all last week diving, not much use owning and traveling with a really heavy BC if it's function is no longer useful. :(

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------
Great chance to simplify. In almost any situation the diver is better off with a belt or harness.

Why is it not TUSA's fault? The marketing concept of integrated BC's was eaiser to use, safer, etc. Why is their crappy design, which by the way only lasted about 1 year when they put clips on new 5500's, why is that not their fault?
As an early adopter of integration you ended up with a first pass design and they have improved frm there. Most products evolve but companies don't provide perpetual upgrades.

Bought in 2007, 110 dives. ... Question... Is Velcro more stable if stored mated or apart?

I have a good deal for you on a 2004 DIva LX with Velcro weight pockets.

Pete

Not only do the hooks in Velcro wear out, but the plush side gets filled with fibers and debris and gets less tacky with time. ANYTHING depending on Velcro in a scuba application should be something where a failure is no more than a nuisance.

The problem with weight integration, to me, is the same as the problem with octo keepers. You are asking a single connection to do two diametrically opposed things, and do them equally well -- retain something, and release it instantly when required. In my experience, almost everything is better at one of those than the other, and unfortunately for divers, usually better at releasing than retaining. But the plastic clip systems are more reliable than Velcro, especially when being asked to retain a significant amount of weight.

I like velcro only weight pouches. Best invention since sliced bread......... it provides myself and other scavengers and never ending supply of free lead.

I wonder how many BCD manufacturers created Velcro only BCD's with no clip other than TUSA?

Seaquest Malibu. (Aqualung) Bought mine brand new about 6 years ago'ish. I have somewhere between 500 and 1000 dives on it, plus I have traveled with it all over the globe. Velcro weight pockets, NO ISSUES. I replaced the pouches themselves a month ago, just because they were looking banged up, as they are still functional.

As far as YOUR BC goes, my 2 cents are, IT"S OLD, of course it's out of warranty ! Velcro weight pouches were hot at the time, but technology has changed, and so have BC's & pouches. Most, if not all are now with "clips/latches" or BP/W with pouches, etc.. There's no one to fault here, your BC is just old.

I have some Velcro pockets on my old oceanic BCD, no weight pockets. Even without lead involvement, the Velcro went to crap. Watching one of my lamps drifting away, I decided that they could no longer be trusted. I did replace the Velcro on a computer bag using a hot glue gun. It worked fine for that purpose and it might be a way to eek out some more use out of it. Ultimately it might be time to start shopping for a new one.

Same with weight belt buckles through.

BTW With velcro holding weights, I'm actually surprised it made it to 110 dives. I'll be happy if my $400 plastic clipped integrated BCD does.

Amendment - that came out wrong. I guess I'm saying 110 dive on velcro integrated weight pouches doesn't seem unexpected. I think that by the time you did that with a weight belt, you would have at the very least replace the webbing but most likely the whole belt. And by 110 dives, I'd probably have some strain on the plastic clips of my pouches and will have bought new pouches.

The faulty part is not the BCD, but that it is more difficult to replace the velcro. Honestly, I think that based on our understanding of velcro, we would know at purchase time how it holds up to sonstant sticking and pulling while being soaking wet. No insult intended.

I guess my concern in writing this thread is not to whine about my lost investment, but I feel that I want to put this on ebay, but I don't want a new diver to buy it. I feel like these BCD's will be available on the used market and I would not like to see a novice diver use one of these defective BCD's.

I guess I'm saying 110 dive on velcro integrated weight pouches doesn't seem unexpected. I think that by the time you did that with a weight belt, you would have at the very least replace the webbing but most likely the whole belt. And by 110 dives, I'd probably have some strain on the plastic clips of my pouches and will have bought new pouches.

Weightbelts last a whole lot longer than 110 dives. Try a few thousand and you're getting warm.

Velcro simply degrades.

Tusa's designs in general are 'bad' IMO. Everything seems to need deidcated TUSA tools.

Panama Jones, my bcd with integrated weight pockets has a few hundred dives on it, and still works like new (frankly still looks relatively new too). Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom