Advil - diving - Headaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I searched and didn't really find anything on this. I get headaches once in awhile towards the end of a dive... My guess is Carbon Monoxide -

One advil AFTER the dive (the gelcaps) kicks it rather quickly and is pretty much my "system"

I'm wondering what if any, the effects of taking an advil or two BEFORE diving would be and if this would help my headaches. They are usually quite minor but have been pretty severe on some ocassions.

I have to admit I smoke cig's and really feel that this aweful habit of mine has something to do with it, because before a long dive trip I stop for a few days and it does not seem to be as bad when I quit for a few days prior to diving.

What do think???

Besides the fact that I should quit smoking all together... :D

Thanks...

I was ready to correct you, until you indicated that you smoked. So yes, CO in your bloodstream will affect your ability to fully oxygenate your bloodstream. HOWEVER, many headaches that come from diving are caused by dehydration and Carbon DiOxide buildup. The first is from not drinking near enough water, though you are losing a TON of moisture from breathing super dry air. This can be accompanied by cramps to boot. The second is from trying to extend your bottom time by shallow or skip breathing. This allows CO2 to accumulate around the alveoli and gives that CO2 headache. Get a bigger tank, stop smoking, get in shape or ALL THREE!!! Oh yeah, and don't forget to hydrate!

And no, I am not a people doctor, but one that works on networks. That info is straight out of PADI literature and mostly common sense. I am sure the real docs will paint an even clearer picture.

Well that's sort of my problem here....

I'm 6'5" 220lbs. I run three times a week, ride my motorcross bike, and dive shore dives hiking up and down the Laguna beach hills and stairs. I drink TONS of water and even have a Gatorade before I dive.

So I'm wondering if it really is a build of Dioxide / Monoxide or what????

Like I said before... the Advil is like magic and usually kicks the headache pretty quick.

What about taking the Advil before I dive???

Thanks Again..

Wheezy--can you describe the quality of the headache?What is the location of the headache ie temple(s), forehead, base of the skull, etc? Can you tell if its from muscle tension or sore neck muscles? Have you thought about your breathing pattern when these headaches occur? Do these headaches seem to occur on deeper dives or dives that my involve more stress than what you normally do?

The only way you would know if the Advil was preventing the headache would be to reproduce at will the conditions that trigger the headache then take the Advil prior to the same dive conditions and see if the headache occurs or not.

Wheezy, one charactaristic of a CO2 headache if that what it is, it should go away shortly after the dive without advil or other medication, just goes away. If your headache persists, then it could be something else than co2. You could be retaining co2 by shallow breathing. Try to breathe a bit slower with long exhalations. It helps to blow off co2. I get a kick out of instructions in manuals to "stop, think, act" when breathing on scuba is out of control. But it does not say how to act.
Basically when breathing gets out of control such as rapid shallow breathing hypoventilation, a diver should NOT ascent. Should stop at depth, hold on to something if possible and EXHALE LONG AND DEEP ON EVERY BREATH, until breathing returns back to control.

Wheezy, can we assume that you are having dilation headaches? Does the pain seem to focus on the temples? This sort of thing can be chemical in nature. People who are withdrawing from caffeine and nicotine get headaches. Stimulants like nicotine and caffeine can cause constriction of the vessels. Possibly, when diving, the enriched nitrogen or even oxygen are causing the blood vessels to rebound. Your body is accustomed to higher levels of CO and CO2 so I doubt that the time worn theory of CO2 headache is a factor.

Advil belongs to the class of proprionic acids which suppress production of hormone like chemicals called prostaglandins. Depending on type, these are thought to be influential in dilation and contraction of tissue. Some people think that dietary habits and heredity can influence the balance of the different types of prostaglandins. Adding fish oil and evening primrose oil to the diet, along with control of hydrogenated oils, has been mentioned.

I've known divers who smoke, have terrible diets and don't experience headaches, so the above remarks are speculative. Muscle tension, as mentioned before, could be something to consider. Gripping the mouthpiece tightly might initiate symptoms. Rapid changes in temperature could influence this tendency.

I used to have the same problem. I changed my mouthpiece to a Comfo-bite and the problem has gone away. It's worth a try.

You know, now that I think about it... the headaches usually do occur when it's a more stressfull dive... Like this weekend I dropped my weightbelt and totally paniced, kicked my ass off to stay down and grabbed my dive buddy...

Other times have been physical exertion as well, diving with a 4-5+' surge at the beach takes a lot of work... Not to mention just getting to the beach... lots of hills in Laguna Beach.

The headaches are usually from my neck up the base of my skull and give me the "squints" as I call it, where I squint my eyes for whatever reason. It feels like one of those headaches where if you went to the chiropractor and he "adjusted" / cracked your neck it would feel better.

The only reason I asked this question (as it never really bothered me because they go away so quickly) is that it lasted MUCH longer than normal, into the evening and freaked out my girlfriend.

I use a comfo bite (apeks standard)... I eat VERY well (although not enough fish)... my only bad habit is smoking and I only smoke maybee a half pack a day.. if that.

I'm going to start adding notes to my dive profiles and see if I can narrow it down a bit more as to how and why this is happening.

So once again is advil safe to dive on or will it cause dilation and contraction of tissue which seems to me could cause a headache in itself????

I'm not a doctor, etc, but...

If you take the Advil and it prevents the headaches (or blocks the pain, anyway), how will you ever find out what's causing them? Seems like you're treating the symptoms, rather than the actual problem.

Have you looked at Rodale's Web site? There's an article on headaches here.

Zept

Back
Top Bottom