Advise on Aqualung equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rinoxus:
Well, I am a college student, in Micronesia for a year. Don't have much cash, but if you guys could give me an idea of what some of the better gear is, then I'll be glad to listen. The Divemaster was giving us a discount so we could afford some gear. Maybe if you guys have suggestions, or maybe preferences feel free to share them. I really have practically no experience on choosing gear. I have an Olympus c-5050 with Ikelite housing and would like something steady to hook it onto my BCD. Anyway I am wanting to get it soon. I am starting my Advanced on Sunday, so I'd like gear.

The Titan LX is a great reg for the price.

I think the jackets will probably do for now, epecially if you're in the tropics. You'll have to replace it when/if you go "technical" but if the price it right what's the problem with that.

As for the computer, the vyper is probably the better choice for recreational diving but if you plan on getting into any kind of technical nitrox in the future you might want to look at the vytec. Personally I think that putting off buying a computer and spending the extra money on a regulator and/or bp/wing (which aren't much more expensive than a jacket) is a better way to spend your budget, especially for the extra bit of stability for taking pictures..... On the other hand, maybe that's just the old-fart in me thinking that it's good to learn how to plan a dive before buying a computer. Kind of like when your mom said "learn your arithmetic and I'll buy you a calculator" (or maybe you're too young for that too..... lol).

R..

Rinoxus:
Well, I am a college student, in Micronesia for a year. Don't have much cash, but if you guys could give me an idea of what some of the better gear is, then I'll be glad to listen. The Divemaster was giving us a discount so we could afford some gear. Maybe if you guys have suggestions, or maybe preferences feel free to share them. I really have practically no experience on choosing gear. I have an Olympus c-5050 with Ikelite housing and would like something steady to hook it onto my BCD. Anyway I am wanting to get it soon. I am starting my Advanced on Sunday, so I'd like gear.
With the exception of the LPO, which I don't like because it's work of breathing is too high to suit me, if I were buying my first set of gear and on a budget, any of the rest of that gear would be fine. I'd have 'em replace the LPO with another standard second stage. It isn't the fancy stuff, but it functions well and should last for many years if cared for. I still dive a Conshelf from 1971 and it breathes just fine - not as effortless as a Titan LX or a Legend, but adequate and dependable. There is nothing "wrong" with a low-end BC to get you through the first few years. I have friends who're still diving 20 year old "lower end than anything that even exists today" BC's quite happily. The company that built my first BC - which is still functional and dependable - doesn't even exist anymore (Techni-Pro).
Personally I wouldn't buy a Vyper or Vytec - I own a Cobra (same computer with air attachment) and do not like the algorithm or the display (but it was a "good deal" :) ). So my recommendation for the budget conscious new diver is the analog gauge solution or one of the less expensive Nitrox computers. But many folks really like the Vyper/Vytec; my opinion is probably a minority one.
Nothing on your list is "crap."
Rick

I would still go for the Tital LX if your price aware. Have over 100 dives on two rigs and they breath outstanding. Just bought an LX Octo to replace my AirSource 2. Also worked great just not worthy of technical diving.

Rinoxus:
What exactly is technical diving?

Well, I would define technical diving as going "longer" or "deeper" than the recreational limits (decompression diving) and/or going in to situations such as cave or wreck penetration (diving in overheads) wherein "fleeing to the surface" is no longer an option should problems arise. Technical diving is characterised by use of significant amounts of "extra" equipment etc, such as use of other gasses like O2 and Trimix and is typically performed with 3 or more tanks.

R..

The Vytec and the Vyper are both nice computers. The advantage of the Vytec over the Vyper is that it can handle (and switch) up to three nitrox blends. This could come in handy if you decide to go tech. in a few years.

The Maverick and the Wave are both popular low-end BCDs. We use them in our rentals, and you see them in rentals all over the place. Personally, I dislike them. The weight-integrated system on the Maverick was designed by a fool. The weights-pouches fall out on a continuous basis. Other than that, it is a good basic bcd. If money is an issue for you, and it's a good price, go for it. If money isn't that big of an issue, get a higher end bcd. Let's face it, the bcd is one of the most critical pieces of gear - you want to be comfortable.

I hope my comments help, happy diving.

What would be some good gear to look at if I was planning on doing tech diving in a few years.

If you eventually want to tech dive, I'd get a backplate and wing NOW, since they last forever and will grow with you (just swap out the wing when you move to doubles, etc.) There are like, a thousand posts on backplates here - do a search and read for months.

For regulators, I'd look at an Apeks TX or ATX50 with a DS4 (not a DST) first stage. Trickier than it sounds - most ATX50's come with a DST first stage in the USA.

For fins, most tech divers use either Scubapro Jets or IDI Turtles. There will be less demand for Turtles (which have a larger foot pocket) now that Scubapro has come out with an XXL Jet Fin.

For gauges, you're going to want to wrist mount a bottom timer (the Vyper will work fine) and compass (most appear to prefer the SK7 from Suunto.)

I hope that helps.

Rinoxus:
What would be some good gear to look at if I was planning on doing tech diving in a few years.

The backplate and wing forms the basis and you should look into that. If tech diving is in your future any money you put into stabilizing jackets is wasted.

Also, if you're seriously considering going tech at some point then look into the vytec instead of the vyper. It will serve you better as a backup to the tables for technical nitrox diving (a common first step). Better yet, you could look into the VR2 and VR3. They're an even better long-term investment but come with an impressive price-tag.

You'll eventually end up with 3 or 4 regulators too so buy ones now that will still be suitable in a few years time. The upper-end Aqualungs are my favorites. Apeks are ok and have a following but I find them too wet to get my vote (call me picky).

The other thing you might want to do now is start just diving a lot and reading a lot and eventually you'll start to form your own opinions about what works for you.

The "DIR" style has a following and it's probably the most coherent set of best practices we have right now. I'm not DIR but some of the ideas appeal to me a lot. There are lots of DIR types on this board who can help you. There's also a book about it with some good info.

Also, there's a lot to learn about deco theory, physics and procedures as well as about equipment. The equipment part is the easy part. Join the Dr. Decompression forum and start reading up on deco theory. Also take a surf sometime to www.thedecostop.com and check that out. It's a little more technical than what you find here on scubaboard.

That's proabably a decent start.

R..

Back
Top Bottom