Affordable Liveaboard for Komodo in April or May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to Misool Eco Resort in southern Raja Ampat in May, and then going aboard Mermaid II (Bali-Komodo-Bali itinerary) after that.

I looked at a lot of live aboard choices before choosing this, but the Mermaid II had what I was looking for, pricing, itinerary, and dates that worked with my RA trip.

I would look into the dragons at Komodo before you book anything though. I've read several stories that visiting them is now banned, or they will at least charge $500 pp to visit to help discourage it.

Mermaid II has great service, but is a budget boat :) Still great choice.
Komodo is open for visiting dragons, all good there now :)
Misool Eco Resort is amazing you will love it!!!

I'm going to Misool Eco Resort in southern Raja Ampat in May, and then going aboard Mermaid II (Bali-Komodo-Bali itinerary) after that.

I looked at a lot of live aboard choices before choosing this, but the Mermaid II had what I was looking for, pricing, itinerary, and dates that worked with my RA trip.

I would look into the dragons at Komodo before you book anything though. I've read several stories that visiting them is now banned, or they will at least charge $500 pp to visit to help discourage it.

I was in Misool Eco Resort in April 2013 & had a good time. I would think May would be fine too.

Never been on Mermaid II, but I was on Mermaid I Bali-Komodo-Bali in August 2014. That's one of the best liveaboard trip I ever have to date.

I was in Misool Eco Resort in April 2013 & had a good time. I would think May would be fine too.

Never been on Mermaid II, but I was on Mermaid I Bali-Komodo-Bali in August 2014. That's one of the best liveaboard trip I ever have to date.
Mermaid II is obviously sister boat, but a budget version accommodation:)

Quick update.

Seems like South Komodo has better sites than North.
So, right now I'm aiming at April in the south.

Wicked Scuba is not guaranteed to go South for that month.
I'm checking with them.

Current Junkies seem great, but 4 divers to a boat are too few, especially given my rookie status.

Scuba Junkies are not LOB, so it seems unlikely I'll go that route.

Based on this, Tarata in April seems like the good choice at the moment.
7 nights, 19 dives, 50 minimum logged dives required.
Any reason to prefer the 7th or the 21st of April?

Mermaid II has great service, but is a budget boat :) Still great choice.
Komodo is open for visiting dragons, all good there now :)
Misool Eco Resort is amazing you will love it!!!
Mermaid is a budget boat at 300€ per day. You recommand Misool at 400$ per night just for the lodging... when someone asks for an affordable operation?
Are you sure you know what you're selling ? Can't you read the OP?

Jeeze, when i say those travel agencies are useless...

Quick update.

Seems like South Komodo has better sites than North.
So, right now I'm aiming at April in the south.

For a first time, North and Central is not that bad, they're different areas.
You'll get clearer and warmer waters north, better viz in the North more profusion in the south.
You'd expect more sharks on Castle rock (northern tip) than anywhere else in Komodo, though more manta rays in the south.

I chose Komodo over Raja Ampat because of the dragons and my (false?) impression of there being more manta and shark there.

False. No wobbegong sharks & no walking sharks in Komodo also.

However, seeing Komodo in their natural habitat is certainly one of a kind in the world. Ask the liveaboard to stop by the beach on South Rinca to see these guys parading on the beach. :D

CF95DD7D-196E-4372-AD9C-BA0E1824085E.jpeg
19E714AF-7A34-4A5E-8E06-6811540BFBCD.jpeg

I have been to Komodo 3x & Raja Ampat 7x. The 8th trip will be in January 2020, Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off. If you have a chance to go to Raja Ampat, do it!

Is there a big difference between April and may in terms of water temperature, visibility, the likelihood of seeing something wonderful like a whale shark?

I doubt it. You may start seeing less rains in May, hence a degree warmer, a meter better visibility, may be.

Don’t hold your breath for seeing whaleshark there. If you want to dive with whalesharks in Indonesia, go to the bagans around Sangalaki or Cendrawasih Bay.

Is there a perfect number for the initially introverted and not very experienced diver?

In Indonesia, the divers / guide ratio ~ 4. So no worry. Just listen to dive briefing & stick close to the guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom