Air Buddy - My thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I contacted them about this thread. I have to say that I would like to try one as well. You don't have to worry about purging them either.

It's an interesting concept. It may be a good alternative for those that chose to mount pony bottles and don't want to worry about freeflows from a charged regulator.

If they choose to join the thread, I'd like to offer them some thoughts on their choice of wording in their selling points.

Has anybody used one of these in a situation where the receiver was somewhat or completely panicked? One benefit of a typical AAS/regulator is that once it is in the mouth, it is not a lot of work to keep it there. The panicked can simply clamp down and breathe. This Air Buddy will require much more thought and concentration I would expect to keep it properly positioned, constant but not too much pressure.......it looks like there is a point where as you bite down harder, you will cross over from delivering the maximum air to where the air volume that gets delivered will steadily decrease with additional pressure. Is this the case?

Has anybody used one of these in a situation where the receiver was somewhat or completely panicked? One benefit of a typical AAS/regulator is that once it is in the mouth, it is not a lot of work to keep it there. The panicked can simply clamp down and breathe. This Air Buddy will require much more thought and concentration I would expect to keep it properly positioned, constant but not too much pressure.......it looks like there is a point where as you bite down harder, you will cross over from delivering the maximum air to where the air volume that gets delivered will steadily decrease with additional pressure. Is this the case?

If you look at the thread where Thal reviewed it, he mentions that it is not ideal for donating. The recommendation would be to pass off a long hose and then the donor use this for their alternate air source.

Has anybody used one of these in a situation where the receiver was somewhat or completely panicked?...
Why would you give this thing to a buddy at all? Don't you donate your primary?
Rick

But I bought 2 of them to get rid of both those pesky diaphragm regulators :idk:. Actually, I ask because many divers do not dive a long hose meaning they are not necessarily donating their primary. I feel better though after reading Thal's review (thanks CD)

Why would you give this thing to a buddy at all? Don't you donate your primary?
Rick

Actually, I ask because many divers do not dive a long hose meaning they are not necessarily donating their primary.
Wanna borrow my user tittle? :D

It's an interesting concept. It may be a good alternative for those that chose to mount pony bottles and don't want to worry about freeflows from a charged regulator.
Think of one attached to your inflater valve. You've passed off your primary and for whatever reason have to turn off the left post. You can still breath without mucking around with your inflater valve/BC air. I wonder how prone it is to failing or a free flow. Thal has used his quite a bit.

Wanna borrow my user tittle? :D
Hey! Whatever happened to "BuzzKill"? :D

Wish I had a nickel for every student that's put a regulator in upside down during AAS training and ended up in a "stressful" situation.
I agree that the learning curve for this device would likely be even flatter than learning AAS with a conventional reg.
All I need is a donation & I'll give it a test run with real people.
Rick

Uh, but even upside down a regulator will still breath wet.

Anyway, more of interest is a comment by Nemrod (who overall likes the AB and so yes, I am pulling this out of context to some extent).

"The first time I used it was in a pool and it nearly drown me as it shot some water down into my lungs and my larynx closed up---lol......."

Sorry, I remain a skeptic... Its a tool, just not the right tool for the average diver.

Sorry, I remain a skeptic... Its a tool, just not the right tool for the average diver.
A conclusion drawn and defended without even testing it! :ijs:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom