Air Buddy - My thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VP Aaron Burr also had an accidental shooting, but that was long ago.

The best part about these forums is the opportunity to adjust your thinking and to get facts straight.

Let me take this opportunity for a history lesson ...

Burr's shooting was less than accidental. While Vice President Burr challenged Alexander Hamilton to a duel. Where upon Burr shot and mortally wounded Hamilton. For those who do not know Hamilton was the first secretary of the Treasury and only one of two non Presidents to have their portrait on US currency. (Bonus points for naming the other person without looking it up and the bill they are on).

Actually, I only pointed out we cannot make any conclusions based on accident reports (or lack of) as you claimed.

My concern is simple it is very different and has no real benefit. Being different is fine for lots of stuff, but for an alternate air supply to be used in an emergency and possibly by an inexperienced diver / buddy it is not such a good idea. In this case, a certain amount of uniformity is good, boring but good.
I think your concern is real and, at least in a small part, justified. But if you routinely surrender your primary, things should go just fine.
OK, so what is the learning curve for a conventional AAS?
Trick question - there is NONE, it is an autonomic response.

I hope you never deal with a panicked buddy who grabs your AB. Also hope you would practice with it every dive so when you share air in a real emergency everything works out.

You do have a point on getting fouled though, it could be a benefit for some divers. Personally it has never been an issue for me as I use a necklace octo and don't roll in the muck.
There is a rather high learning curve for successful use of a conventional AAS in an emergency. I suspect the learning curve for this device is about the same, maybe a dash more, but not a huge difference.
Has anybody used one of these in a situation where the receiver was somewhat or completely panicked? One benefit of a typical AAS/regulator is that once it is in the mouth, it is not a lot of work to keep it there. The panicked can simply clamp down and breathe. This Air Buddy will require much more thought and concentration I would expect to keep it properly positioned, constant but not too much pressure.......it looks like there is a point where as you bite down harder, you will cross over from delivering the maximum air to where the air volume that gets delivered will steadily decrease with additional pressure. Is this the case?
I've not used one in an emergency, so you maybe right there. Delivery seems to be pretty constant.

One more thing: It's great for inflating a lift bag or an SMB without any concern of entanglement. Frankly I think they should be marketing for that function with a "by-the-way, in a tight spot it's easy to breathe off of."

One more thing: It's great for inflating a lift bag or an SMB without any concern of entanglement. Frankly I think they should be marketing for that function with a "by-the-way, in a tight spot it's easy to breathe off of."
I was thinking the very same thing! I wonder how they would stand up to salt water if they weren't hooked up.

It has a standard fitting on the end, I just install it the regulator on a spare port and rig it so it's held out of the way.

I see at least three versions. One for the end of an LP hose, one to fit on an inflater hose and one that screws right into an LP port on a first stage regulator.

I don't know, because there is no seal on the mouth, I could see this thing blowing not only air but a mouthful of water into the lungs. Like Deepstops said, I always dive with a buddy, but in reality I was usually my (now ex) husband's "spare air" until he got a pony bottle.

Last edited:
I see at least three versions. One for the end of an LP hose, one to fit on an inflater hose and one that screws right into an LP port on a first stage regulator.

If you have the lpi inline version it can be broken down to either of the other two because the adapter between the mouthpiece and the body incorporates male and female lp hose ends in one fitting so if it takes anyones fancy any second can be affixed to any first and rotate.

The thing is that the bayonet and body is one piece with a schraeder inside and there is no crosspiece to engage the valve in the lpi hose so it has to be removed.

And one more thing I hope. It is not a glorified blower and delivers a very comfortable supply of air taking a few seconds to inflate the lungs but not enough if you are gasping for breath.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom