Air consumption tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!! TSandM, your comments about the physiology of breathing, and bouyancy and movement are really insightful and well thought-out. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the post -there's only one first time to dive, eh?

Also, Yeag? That is my motto, Keep calm and Carry On". I have it all over my house, my screen saver, coffee mugs....

It seems like the best and worst thing about starting a hobby/obsession is how much you don't know that you don't know. What I DO know is that I need to become independently wealthy very quickly to feed my dive/travel jones. I'm sure there's another part of the forum to talk about the travel part...

Beerkowski, I'm glad what I wrote was useful. I should be able to write clearly about physiology -- I'm a doctor IRL!

For a broader discussion of the whole efficiency/trim issue, you can look at the articles on THIS site. There's other good stuff there, too -- Gareth (who is here on SB) is a good writer.

As the others have said, and practice, practice, practice. I dive more often than the wifey, and when we first started, i'd end up on the boat with 30bar and she'd still have 100 in the tank. Now it's the other way around.

1) Don't worry too much about your air consumption. Underlying anxiety is a key cause in elevated air consumption, so you're only adding to that. As a newbie diver, I struggled for a long time to reduce my consumption - when I finally gave up doing that and accepted the situation... was when my biggest gains were made.

2) Your overall respiration is dictated by the level of physical activity (demand for O2, volume of CO2 produced). Reduce physical activity by moving slowly and sedately. Also, reduce physical activity by ensuring the most efficiency in your passage through the water - this means streamlining. Streamline your kit and don't underestimate how all those 'little things' accumulate into a lot of resistance. Also streamline by working to improve your position and trim in the water - getting flat and horizontal in the water makes a big difference. You do this by (a) getting your weighting optimised, (b) getting your natural trim adjusted properly and (c) making a deliberate effort to refine your scuba technique in respect of positioning, control and buoyancy.

3) Relax.

4) Relax.

5) Relax.

As above with the unfortunate caveat that big lungs means more air consumption in the end, even after all the other factors are factored in, and frame size is often an accurate predictor of actual tidal volume of the lungs. On the other hand, beginning neutral buoyancy is usually easier for those with big lungs.

I train tiny Japanese people, and they amount of air they don't use is pretty hilarious. Both boat dives on a single 50 and coming back with 1500 psi and such. I have had a diver take more than a minute and a half to breathe the air out of the hoses with the valve closed.

Find an operation which provides bigger tanks for now. Later it will get better to a degree, but how much are you use or do not use is not indicative of anything other than how much air you use, despite many divers thinking it means something, and comparing air consumption rates constantly.

Beano, I respectfully have to correct you. The size of the lungs has NOTHING at all to do with gas consumption. The size of the trachea and major bronchi (volume contained within them) will, but those differences are really quite small.

I dive with one buddy who is almost two and a half times my weight, and significantly taller than I am, whose gas consumption is the same as mine. I dive with another tall, slender cave diving buddy who makes ME turn dives. The ultimate gas consumption you end up with has something to do with size, yes, because more muscle mass means higher basal metabolic rate, and therefore more CO2 production. But efficiency, fitness, and breathing discipline have a lot more to do with it than lung size.

So to summarize briefly for others who have the same question, you can reduce air consumption by:
1. Being properly weighted. Do a weight check at the outset of each set of dives in new gear or conditions. Trim weight as appropriate.
2. Maintaining neutral buoyancy at all times. Trim buoyancy regularly and often, in tiny little inputs and deflates.
3. Move efficiently, and as little as possible. Clasp hands or do other things to avoid "flailing"
4. Stay a meter or two shallower than the others if you seem to be using air quicker
5. Relax and enjoy the dive.
6. Breathe in regular, slow breaths.
7. Stop stressing over air consumption.
DivemasterDennis

So to summarize briefly for others who have the same question, you can reduce air consumption by:
1. Being properly weighted. Do a weight check at the outset of each set of dives in new gear or conditions. Trim weight as appropriate.
2. Maintaining neutral buoyancy at all times. Trim buoyancy regularly and often, in tiny little inputs and deflates.
3. Move efficiently, and as little as possible. Clasp hands or do other things to avoid "flailing"
4. Stay a meter or two shallower than the others if you seem to be using air quicker
5. Relax and enjoy the dive.
6. Breathe in regular, slow breaths.
7. Stop stressing over air consumption.
DivemasterDennis

and being in shape! the better your physical fitness the better the SAC all other factors being equal.

Welcome to diving and congrats you will love Hawaii. you are on the right track with everything you are doing, increasing your overall fitness level will definitely help, dive more and naturally your comfort level will increase and air consumption will decrease. Consider adding Yoga to your fitness regimen (my sister is a personal trainer and notices big improvement in her consumption when she does yoga regularly)

Lastly, you can not choose a different tank usually on trips but when you decide to buy one make sure to get one that best fits your needs.

THE RIGHT TANK

Often one can rent bigger tanks. I know several places the rent Steel 100's in FL and CA. It may run $10 a tank. I think when you start dealing with 3rd world countries it can be difficult. Call ahead, and ask here on the appropriate forum based on the destination.

Try and keep the dives shallow. Nothing will burn through air faster than a deep dive combined with a new diver who sucks gas.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom