Air Integrated or non-air intergrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after taking part in a lot of these discussions about AI computers, basically it comes down to money

it's a nice toy to have, if you can afford it ... you don't really need it, and yes, you are introducing another failure point into the equation, but probably a very low probability failure point

the bottom line is how expensive they are. you can get a sweet wrist computer and a good solid brass air gauge for half the money you'll plunk down for an AI

... (finally, here's the question) what is the real value of air-integrated computers? Sure, somewhat more info, but its being sifted thru a software program that you may or may not be able to adjust to a more realistic standard, and ultimately is this any more helpful or accurate than an analog gauge combined with a non-AI computer?

...it's a nice toy to have, if you can afford it ... you don't really need it, ...

the bottom line is how expensive they are. you can get a sweet wrist computer and a good solid brass air gauge for half the money you'll plunk down for an AI

I'd have to agree. You don't really need an AI computer. Personally, for the extra cost involved, I do not need what the AI provides.

You could use a brass spg and a good nitrox computer, saving yourself some money. For recreational dives with non-flat profiles, I use an Oceanic that lets me adjust how conservative it is. For tech stuff I just use a bottom timer and spg.

The money you save can be used for something useful like a SMB, air fills, buying me a gift card to Scuba Toys :wink: , or taking your friends out after a dive....

Honestly, for me the real benefit to the air integrated compter is to download to a PC. Having your air data throughout the dive at all the depths allows you to get a pretty accurate SAC rate calculation, which is very helpful to use in planning dives and guaging if your breathing is improving.
Very good point - probably the main benefit I see in AI, as well. I use both an AI (Vytec) and a non-AI (Nitek He) on most dives. I particularly like the readability of the Vytec display, but in the water I don't really use the AI featrures - I still look at my SPG.

I use a Sensus Pro to figure my SAC rate. Admittedly I have to note down the starting and ending pressures and punch a few numbers into a calculator but that only takes seconds.

Dont need no stinkin AI computer to calculate SAC

Why even bother with a gage? Lets go back to the days of an unbalanced reg and just breath until it gets hard and then surface! Thats how I learned to dive! Really I take the Boise system with the MP3 and the Ipod connection! The more info the better if it whistles or you hear the bell buy it!:D

I use a Sensus Pro to figure my SAC rate. Admittedly I have to note down the starting and ending pressures and punch a few numbers into a calculator but that only takes seconds.

Dont need no stinkin AI computer to calculate SAC

I am not familiar with a Sensus Pro, I assume it is a non AI computer that provides you the average depth of your dive? Given that, and your start and end pressures, tank size and working pressure, you can calculate the SAC rate, you're right.

Go with an Oceanic Atom 2.0 from Scuba Toy's and ask what the can do price wise. I got mine for well below what the other dive shops are getting. I also use a standard SPG and Depth gauge as a backup and my Doxa watch. You cant go wrong remember to backup all your guages and you cant go wrong, My Doxa watch is my backup if my comp fails I just go by my watch (it has the navy NDL's on it) just as they did before comps. Ed

I am not familiar with a Sensus Pro, I assume it is a non AI computer that provides you the average depth of your dive? Given that, and your start and end pressures, tank size and working pressure, you can calculate the SAC rate, you're right.

Actually not a computer but a dive logger.
ReefNet Inc. | Sensus Ultra

The Sensus Pro I have has been replaced by the Sensus Ultra. Very easy to use and download.(Works on Macs as well ) Cost is not much more than some companies charge for a download cable

Personally I'm not a huge fan of AI computers, especially for new divers. To me having all the dive data; depth, time, and gas on one device would leave a new diver with NO data should the computer fail. This could be uncomfortable, if not outright dangerous. Depth and time you'll be monitoring constantly, and that's where a wrist computer is really nice. But, once you get a few dives under your belt, you'll probably find that you don't need to check your gas more than a few times during the dive. A small SPG clipped on your hip allows you to do that easily and reliably.

On a more aesthetic note, I feel that AI computers are representative of the recreational dive industry's quest to provide a high priced solution for any non-existent problem it can think of. That's a personal opinion; it doesn't mean that others shouldn't enjoy using them, but since the internet is all about opinions....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom