Air2 or Octo... or Both??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, lots of situations where you don't *need* a long hose. Can anyone think of a situation where you would need an Air2?

Btw, I shamefully admit to having one in my earlier days of diving (the Aqualung version). I'm glad I've outgrown it.

loosebits:
Ok, lots of situations where you don't *need* a long hose. Can anyone think of a situation where you would need an Air2?

Btw, I shamefully admit to having one in my earlier days of diving (the Aqualung version). I'm glad I've outgrown it.
I use an AIR2 and I have to admit there no situation that requires it. I just find it more convenient than a conventional octo. I can see the point in the long hose and necklace. IMHO, that would be the other sensible approach. Personally, I couldn't see using the conventional octo.

loosebits:

I dont "need" a car, but life is a lot easier with it.
I dont "need" to go diving, but life is more fun when I do.

Its not a case of needing its a case of it being better suited to the diving I do. And no I wouldnt use one in a cave or on a deco dive.

divingjd:
I use an AIR2 and I have to admit there no situation that requires it. I just find it more convenient than a conventional octo. I can see the point in the long hose and necklace. IMHO, that would be the other sensible approach. Personally, I couldn't see using the conventional octo.

My feeling as well, gjd... simply a matter of personal perspective, approach and comfort level. Use what makes you happy...

I'm a little confused about the rabid anti-air2 sentiment a few seem compelled to 'share'... Have there been any deaths, injuries, close calls, inordinant number of recalls, or nightmares directly attributable to the air2 that I've missed? I try to keep an open mind...

I owned and dove an Air2, and practiced OOA drills with it. I didn't like it, and I've said why. I don't think that if you use one, you are going to die. I just think the bungied backup is an easier and more pleasant system to use. My personal opinion, but definitely supported by personal experience.

BKP:
My feeling as well, gjd... simply a matter of personal perspective, approach and comfort level. Use what makes you happy...

I'm a little confused about the rabid anti-air2 sentiment a few seem compelled to 'share'... Have there been any deaths, injuries, close calls, inordinant number of recalls, or nightmares directly attributable to the air2 that I've missed? I try to keep an open mind...
It seems that a lot of it is from people who don't understand how it works. Some of the rest seems to be from people who believe their own gear configuration is the only one that anyone should use. Some of it I just can't figure. I guess some people only have negative things to say.

I've used it in a real OOA and teaching and never had a problem with it. I have never heard of big problems, even from the opponents, other than the generic, theoretical assertion that if you use an AIR2, you'll die.:wink:

It's not DIR so it's wrong.......

TSandM:
I owned and dove an Air2, and practiced OOA drills with it. I didn't like it, and I've said why. I don't think that if you use one, you are going to die. I just think the bungied backup is an easier and more pleasant system to use. My personal opinion, but definitely supported by personal experience.

Sure a bungied backup is easier and more pleasant to use in a OOA situation.
But in a non OOA situation a SS1/air 2 is much easier and pleasant to use.
I have done 230+ dives and never had a OOA, so in those 230 + dives the SS1 has been the better choice for me. And if I do encounter a OOA I know my SS1 will get me and buddy to the surface. It may not be as pleasant as a bungied backup but it will work.
Of course if you are the type of person who has or dives with someone who has OOA regulary then maybe a SS1 is not your best choice.

TSandM:
By the way, we had simultaneous posts, so I had not seen yours before I posted and was not referring to your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom