Air2 or Octo... or Both??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Thalassamania, on the "which reg to donate" thread, made some good points. The bungied backup is reachable instantly, sometimes even without your hands. The integrated octo (Air2) permits faster removal of the equipment, and reduces failure points.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, however, is that, if you go with the Air2 concept, you cannot borrow a BC from anybody (or rent one, unless they have Air2s). That means that, when the inevitable urge to try a BP/W hits you, you'll have to borrow a regulator, too :)

I didn't like breathing off the Air2 and trying to manage buoyancy with it at the same time. Option 2 works well for me.

Edited to add: There are some nice equipment configuration pictures on the BAUE site.

nerobanchee:
Yeah, I was assuming that the 2nd option I had was the most rational... I just wanted some other more experienced advise. The guy in the LDS was a little pushy about it... he was trying to get me away from the octo, this is the LDS that is built in with a sporting goods place... the other dive shop is only open once a week (the owner drives down from the main shop 1.5 hours away to help us divers in the outskirts) so it was closed the day I had time to look for a BC... go figure. I think I am going to go with what I was trained for, the longhose reg and octo.

BTW... anyone know where I can find a pic of how the octo is bungeed around the neck? Is it just by your mouth so you can get it easily? Cant seem to get the image in my mind from descriptions.

Thanks!!!
Here you go: http://baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

Now, keep in mind if you're doing this you should have a 5 - 7' hose. A 7' hose is going to require something on you hip to route it under, a 5' hose will just go under your right armpit, across your chest, to the left side of your neck and then around the back into your mouth.

edit: Ah, you beat me TS&M

DIR types will bash AIR2s forever. Ya know what? I love mine. Every couple of dives I do a reg swap drill just to make it ingrained. Ya it breaths like crap but it's a BACKUP like the baby tire in your car. If you need it you need to stop and get it fixed anyway and you can put up with the hastle for a few minutes. "It's one less thing" in the words of Forrest Gump
Many of the DIR folks like to act like they have thousands of dives but so many are still baby divers and are just repeating the GUE " this is the only right way" that was cramed down there throats.
Try it, if it works for you then use it, if not, don't......
Stil trying to figure out how to put an AIR2 on my BP/W:1poke:

An Air2 is not the only octo alternative out there.

For less than $10 more you can get an Atomic Aquatics SS1. Not only does it breathe with almost the same ease as an Atomic second stage, maintenance is every two years. Yay for saving $$.

Wildcard:
DIR types will bash AIR2s forever. Ya know what? I love mine. Every couple of dives I do a reg swap drill just to make it ingrained. Ya it breaths like crap but it's a BACKUP like the baby tire in your car. If you need it you need to stop and get it fixed anyway and you can put up with the hastle for a few minutes. "It's one less thing" in the words of Forrest Gump
Many of the DIR folks like to act like they have thousands of dives but so many are still baby divers and are just repeating the GUE " this is the only right way" that was cramed down there throats.

I will be putting a TUSA IR3 on my Diverite wing this week. Joe at Scubatoys says it should go right on.

SparticleBrane:
You have almost 3,000 dives and you haven't ever seen an octo dangling?! :shocked:

Unless I am doing something that requires the use of my hands (light, reel, etc) then I usually keep my hands on my inflator. I keep my hands tucked in close to my chest, loosely holding onto the inflator. Thus I don't move my hands the entire dive. If anything I like the idea of having new divers hold on to their inflators as long as they don't keep fiddling with the buttons--it keeps them from waving their hands everywhere. :rolleyes:

Oh I see octos dangle all the time. However if you and others had read my post as it was written, I said I don't see them drag on the bottom. I never said I don't see them dangle. But they don't seem to get caught on the boat, or hit the sea fans and gorgonians like the SPG's seem to. The octo's are usually floating up behind the divers, not hanging down. Like I said, the SPG is heavier and tends to hang down, rather than float.

I think hanging onto the inflator hose is a bad idea. I teach students to hold thier hands in front of them in a "praying" position, or to just cross thier arms across thier chests, sort of "holding" themselves.

And almost all new divers fiddle with thier inflator buttons.

Wildcard:

Not sure which DIR type you were referring to, but from the tone of your post I assume (silly me) that it was me. Yes, I have thousands of dives, but sorry to burst your bubble, but I am a PADI certified diver and and SDI Assistant Instructor. Never done the DIR thing, although I have nothing against it. Certainly not a "baby diver" as you put it, I'll just call myself an experienced "decent" diver.

There is NO right or wrong way. It's what works for you. And going with something that "breathes like crap" when in a life and death situation? Come on man.....that baby spare tire is only good for 50 miles and 25mph. A full size spare will get you anywhere.

I'm glad you like your Air2. However it is not my first choice.

Mike Rushton

For what it is worth, I believe the rig set up match the diving you do. I don't think a spare air will do you much good over 100' or if you are doing any kind of penetration diving. An octo is more for you to have something if your partner is in trouble. I prefer an octo with a bunge around my neck and a pony with a second reg over my shoulder.

ScubaMike14:
I too am an active DM with almost 3000 dives. I have never seen a loose octo dragging on the bottom, but what I DO see is SPG's dragging. The SPG hose is longer than a second stage hose, it weighs more than a 2nd stage, so if it's not clipped to something it hangs lower.

Not sure where you are going with the "they handle it alot in thier normal dive"....why would you want to hang onto your inflator hose all the time? I try and teach new divers to leave the damn thing alone after adjusting thier bouyancy. The temptation of a new diver to press the "little colored button" is just too much.

As for the Air 2....I personally think it's a piece of crap. Why? .....

- Too many things in one unit. One goes wrong, they all go wrong.
- Ever try to service one? I find them to be a PIA
- You cannot use a standard inflator hose with an air 2. Cough up another $30 for a new inflator hose.
- If you break or forget your reg while on vacation you better pray that the dive operator has a hose that will fit it. Otherwise you get to use a rental BC.
- In the dreaded "OOA" situation you give your bouyancy and octo to a "panicked" diver. Great, now they are in my face, controlling my bouyancy and freaking out!!

Just my opinion.

Mike Rushton

Well... I'm a big believer in '...different strokes...', so, if an octo works for you, cool. I certainly don't have anywhere near 2000 dives (and I envy your warm water access!). However...

I use an Atomic SS1 'air2,' and I'm rather pleased with it.
--It breathes better then quite a few primaries I've tried...
--If something goes wrong on *any* reg or inflator, regardless of rig configuration, I always assumed you'd abort the dive anyway, and head up...
--I have my regs serviced by the LDS, so I wouldn't know how much of PIA it is...
--With an air2, the primary goes to the OOA buddy, and you keep the backup (so, you keep the buoyancy control)...
--I don't tend to play with the 'little colored buttons' too much, however, I have no choice on descent, ascent, and perhaps once or twice during the dive (I'm still working on that pinpoint perfect elusive buoyancy, which requires adjustments for me, switching between fresh and salt, cold and warm)...
--Finally... it *is* a backup. If I ever find myself in that unfortunate situation of needing it, I'm heading up and out... I figure for the hours, days, and weeks of enjoying a simplified rig, it's worth the moments of inconvenient contingency, if I'd ever have to deploy it...

But, again... use what works for ya...

Hey BKP. I invent useless gadgets. Perhaps we could start a company together?

As for the Air2, I was just voicing my opinion. If it works for you and serves you well, all the power to ya! I just don't like it. Ford, Chevy, Honda, Nissan...it still all gets you there (usually).

Mike Rushton

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom