Airfare - Looking Ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's commonly suggested to wait with the best fares maybe showing up about 4-8 weeks prior to departure, but that's a hard game to play. I play it, have many times, but it becomes a hobby. Besides, you want to plan ahead - with the risk that plans may need to be changed later.

This week could become a great week to book tickets as airlines are getting hit by the new hysteria, stocks down and sales probably are too. Matrix.itasoftware.com is currently showing fares from $594 to $664 for a 7 day trip & no overnight stops. Checking other airports within 100 miles, doesn't save any money; indeed, Pittsburgh is often the go to airport for the best fares. Flying into Cancun for the bag drag, shuttle, and ferry is an option many take, but it is a real drag. Still, with round trip fares starting at $444 ($424 from Akron-Canton Airport would not be a worthy savings), it could be worth the hassle.

I just booked March 2015 from LAX round trip for $360 - which is an unheard of price! I paid 2X that for a flight a week later last year.

It's a crap shoot.

I really like United Airlines and had been monitoring their prices for several weeks. Price return from Vancouver to Cozumel was just under $500.00. I sat on it for a bit, and prices had jumped up to around $715.00 return. I continued to monitor their website, and one day found that the price had dropped to just under $500.00 again. Admittedly this is a milk run both ways, but I jumped on it at the time. Worst part is that almost half of the cost is fees and taxes. :shakehead:

I also checked several other airlines, and the prices were substantially higher. Air Canada and WestJet required that I fly to Toronto and then to Cozumel, with a very long layover in Toronto.

I have been flying out of SeaTac the past few times, and even with the ferry, gas to and from Seattle, and long term parking, it was still cheaper than flying out of Vancouver. Lucked out with the fares this time - walk on ferry, then bus and sky train to the airport.

A friend who is going in March was going to fly through Toronto, again with a long layover. I kept monitoring the United website, and managed to find fares for her from Calgary to Cozumel and return for under $500.00 as well.

Divegoose

This morning - cheapest flight $705. Up from $660 2 days ago.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 05:01 AM ----------

Concerning the "bag drag" from Cancun. The latest departure I see for most of the flights is 9:30 AM (unless I want to get home around midnight or pay significantly more money). AFAIK, the first ferry leaves Cozumel @ 7:00AM arriving PDC about 8:00AM. Approximately 1 hour bus ride from PDC to Cancun. Assuming everything goes right, I would only have 30 minutes to spare before my flight - not feasible. Is this correct?

This morning - cheapest flight $705. Up from $660 2 days ago.

What dates are you checking? Matrix.itasoftware.com gives a range of $594 to $664 round trip in August, after rejecting overnight connections. You only mentioned August so I assumed you were flexible, but probably wanted to stay a week.

1.jpg

Concerning the "bag drag" from Cancun. The latest departure I see for most of the flights is 9:30 AM (unless I want to get home around midnight or pay significantly more money). AFAIK, the first ferry leaves Cozumel @ 7:00AM arriving PDC about 8:00AM. Approximately 1 hour bus ride from PDC to Cancun. Assuming everything goes right, I would only have 30 minutes to spare before my flight - not feasible. Is this correct?
Well, there might be an earlier ferry - I haven't looked, but you'd need more time in PDC and a lot more time for Cancun check-in.

No sympathy here about getting "home around midnight" as it's a major trip and you have to clear I&C on the return. I usually don't make it home before midnight. American/USAir offers some choices with less than 2 hours for the I&C connection, but I wouldn't try those. You might rush to make the 11:15am flight out of Cancun and get home at 8:30pm, but I'd go for later...

2.jpg . 3.jpg

Another downside to buying this early is that the airlines will probably change their schedules in the meantime, and you may well not like what they stick you with. Happens frequently, but you do have options when it does.

DandyDon - I would like to leave Friday 7/31/15 & staying 9 nights. Checking Matrix (calendar of lowest fares view) shows a low price of $611 leaving on 8/22 or 8/29. For the dates 7/31-8/9, the lowest fare is $700.

I'm not too flexible on dates at this point. Tentatively scheduled to work on a project involving Chernobyl but with the Ukraine situation, who knows?

DandyDon - I would like to leave Friday 7/31/15 & staying 9 nights. Checking Matrix (calendar of lowest fares view) shows a low price of $611 leaving on 8/22 or 8/29. For the dates 7/31-8/9, the lowest fare is $700.

I'm not too flexible on dates at this point. Tentatively scheduled to work on a project involving Chernobyl but with the Ukraine situation, who knows?
Ok, exact dates changes the shopping considerably. $700 round-trip into Cozumel, $475 & up in & out of Cancun depending on how flexible you are on departure & arrival times. If you had to decide today, saving $200 or so might offset the hassle & expense of Cancun for one traveler, but if more than one then the savings becomes greater. Two to to four in a group would cost more for ferry tickets* but maybe not for Cancun, Coz, and PDC taxis when indicated. Ado bus leaves often and travels about as fast as a taxi, but your own car or van waiting saves time.

Shopping for price drops several months in advance can be fun and you might find a bargain if you don't mind the risk of the airline changing your plans later, then negotiating. When I buy tickets for specific dates & times, I am committed, but airlines are not - they get to change.

With Chernobyl & Ukraine in the risks, I don't think you can plan now.

That schedule is not advised. You can ferry to the mainland the afternoon before and stay at a hotel near the airport such as Courtyard Marriott. They have a free shuttle to the airport.

ARIANESPACE.TV

How about 0700 Mayair? 15 minutes to Cancun.

How about 0700 Mayair? 15 minutes to Cancun.
He's considering Cancun to save money. How much is that plane?

Back
Top Bottom