Airfare - Looking Ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to book my flight to Cozumel (August, 2015). I've been using several tracking engines (Yapta, etc) and the prices have gone up slightly in the last month.

Do I pull the trigger now (to avoid any more price hikes) or wait (hoping the prices will come down)? :idk:

The current price is about $100 more than last year - I booked my flight in March.

FYI - I'll be flying from Pittsburgh, PA. Most flights involve a change in either Miami or Dallas.

I would hold off. Your talking 10 months away before flying correct?
You might need to wait another 6 months or so but who really knows with airline prices.
Have a feeling you are just excited to firm up plans (I do not blame you) but, prices this far out will be high for a while.
Cheers,
John

I would hold off. Your talking 10 months away before flying correct?
You might need to wait another 6 months or so but who really knows with airline prices.
Have a feeling you are just excited to firm up plans (I do not blame you) but, prices this far out will be high for a while.
Cheers,
John

Thanks, John! I thought I might have waited too long last year before booking. It'll be hard, but I will try to keep the Coz jones under control.

My 3 cents(taking inflation into account)-------too soon, I'd plan on trying to book ?maybe 2-3 months out--UNLESS--some great prices(in your opinion) come out before that.......

I got a good (but not great) price when I bought my tickets for August 2014 for Hartford to Cozumel RIGHT when they became available back in september-ish 2013. After that the prices went up and didn't drop until April this year with the best prices coming in May 2014.

The consensus seems to be to hold off until spring/summer of next year.

Set yourself a price alert on whatever app / website you like. maybe you'll get lucky. I saw plenty of short term price drops when I was monitoring my August 2014 flight (I was checking airfare for several travelers so kept watching long after my tickets were bought)

Yapta is a good site to monitor the flights, I use it all the time.

Lots of time between now and August, and lots of chances for tickets to go up or down between then.

If ebola becomes more of an issue, the airlines will probably be effected by it and you will probably see prices get effected. Oil prices will fluctuate more, they are currently lower, they might go lower still, other airlines may make decisions in their routes that might effect your tickets... lots of things and so much time still.

The whole long term ticket purchase is a game sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. We needed tickets to Hawaii for December, started watching the tickets, they kept going up and up, finally they had a big bump down to lower than they had been, we got nervous, wondering if this would be the best they would be, pulled the trigger, pretty soon they went up, up, up again, felt pretty good, felt like what a relief, glad we got them when they did. Then a month later they went back down to the price we paid for them, and then proceed to drop another $400 lower. Had we waited, would have saved $800. But that's the way it goes. It's like trying to time the stock market, nearly impossible. My advice, is once you buy them, don't monitor the price anymore. :D

Good advice, Mike. Woulda, shoulda, coulda can ruin a trip.

My experience has been that it's best to wait, and track prices carefully. I've been joining the Mensa ScubaSIG dive trip to Cozumel the last 4 years, and going again this year in December. Once I knew the dates (early March), I checked out prices on the ITA App - it was originally $582 RT from DFW. Came down to $542. Then, in early July, I think, I checked it on a Friday morning while having coffee, and it was $382. I jumped on it. By Sunday evening, it was back up to $542, and hasn't dropped below $500 since. I had a similar experience last year, and saved about $120 on a ticket where the sale price was up for less than 36 hours. In 2013, the sale price popped up in late July or early August, so anywhere between 4-6 months out the Airline will figure out that they have too many empty seats on a flight, and run an unadvertised sale to bump up the load factor. Start checking daily -early AM is the best - about 6 months out, and be ready to jump on the price break quickly, because it will disappear as soon as the airline meets its load factor metric.

There is, of course, a risk to this strategy. You might really want a specific set of flights that just happen to book up early, so the airline never gets to a point where it needs to put the tickets on sale to meet its load factor minimum. This risk is less if you have some flexibility - 2-3 days either way. And, since I was traveling in a low demand period - first or second week of December, the lull before the Christmas-New Years rush, I was probably more likely to see such a flash sale. If you are traveling in high demand times, like Christmas-New Year, Spring Break, Long Holiday weekends, the strategy is unlikely to work, and you might well find your desired flights fully booked 6 or even 8 months out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom