Airfare - Looking Ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We scrimped and saved and finally got enough miles to fly to Cabo San Lucas with Frontier Airlines. 5 weeks away from our trip they sent an email and after being on hold for HOURS we were informed that they cancelled both flights coming and going. They could have gotten us there 2 days before and home 3 days later as that is the only thing that worked . They offered us NOTHING to help out with anything. We now have tickets to the tune of $1477.52 total for both on United. So much for Free flights! Needless to say, we are not happy campers with Frontier. I think I can recite there whole on hold message as I have listened to it now about 1000 times!! Sigh!
How did United get involved? Did you buy replacement tickets there to continue the trip plan?

So, I guess that Frontier gave you your miles back with processing fees, and now you have their miles you hate that you saved? I have miles with Delta but they don't fly here anymore. I have enough miles with American to fly to Coz, but hate the itineraries they've offered. Is it legal to sell miles now, or do you still have to skirt rules & lie?

I warned the original poster here that if he buys tickets now, the flights are sure to change in the interim. Sometimes changes require significant changes to plans, or I think they will offer to refund your money.

I fly Frontier all the time out of Trenton NJ and really have no complaints at all.Any airlines can cancel flights in today's economy.They are supposed to pay for carry on but I always carry a full back pack as my personal item and the have never said a word.

We scrimped and saved and finally got enough miles to fly to Cabo San Lucas with Frontier Airlines. 5 weeks away from our trip they sent an email and after being on hold for HOURS we were informed that they cancelled both flights coming and going. They could have gotten us there 2 days before and home 3 days later as that is the only thing that worked . They offered us NOTHING to help out with anything. We now have tickets to the tune of $1477.52 total for both on United. So much for Free flights! Needless to say, we are not happy campers with Frontier. I think I , can recite there whole on hold message as I have listened to it now about 1000 times!! Sigh!

That blows. Another frontier story to join the rest. Wife gets absolutely rabid with hatred toward them, it's kind of amusing if it wasn't so out of character, anyone even mentions anything that sounds like frontier, like 'front door'... 'fruit', she hears it and immediately has to verbalize her hatred for them. She usually is pretty mellow with this sort of stuff, but frontier has really stuck a cord with her, well and a lot of other people are pissed too. I saw their consumer complaints have more than doubled in the last quarter.

We ended up with them over memorial day flying out of Mexico, the wife went on line to book the bags which is the 6th lowest version of what your bags will cost you on their multi-tiered baggage plan, website (as usual) blew up after repeated tries, she again had to contact them via phone, customer service couldn't complete the transaction over the phone but said they would 'put a note' in our file so when we arrived at the counter they would honor the internet check in pricing. Well of course arriving at the counter to fly home, you can imagine how it didn't go well, after 10 minutes they finally relented, wife was going to die first than pay them a penny more, but they dug their heels in on giving her the denver club or something she belongs to that gives you an addtional $5.00 discount on your bags, well, she wasn't having it and it was ugly and silly. All over $5.00, and this is the woman who will go order a $20 glass of wine with lunch. LOL. That five bucks just wasn't going to end up in their pocket. Something about them has people pissed and she was ready to swim home before giving them a penny more than they deserved. I found it humorous since she's just not that way, except I guess now when it comes to Frontier.:rofl3:

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 11:03 AM ----------

Note to self: Skip checking Frontier pricing out of WAS.

I wouldn't exclude them, they suck about the same as the rest.

Long complicated story, but I did check Frontier the other week for a friend's mom, etc etc. I couldn't get the website to work and I thought, 'how odd for a major airline?'

Of course they are Ebola Air now, so there is another reason....

Had to buy new tickets so we went with United. Yes, now we have the miles back but they did not extend the expiration date.Yes also to " we hate that we have their miles." You live and you learn. We tried to use our Frontier miles for a recent COZ trip as well and of course, they only had seats available on the 3rd Tuesday of November 2017. Just kidding, but we could not use the miles then either. I am glad njones259 has no problems with Frontier but it was really a nightmare that they cancelled so close to our trip and we had to pay a much larger price for the new tickets . One of the big reasons we even said yes to the trip was because we were finally able to use our Frontier miles!!! We didn't plan on an extra $1500.00 being thrown into the equation. Also, being on hold for hours and hours is not fun either!
How did United get involved? Did you buy replacement tickets there to continue the trip plan?

So, I guess that Frontier gave you your miles back with processing fees, and now you have their miles you hate that you saved? I have miles with Delta but they don't fly here anymore. I have enough miles with American to fly to Coz, but hate the itineraries they've offered. Is it legal to sell miles now, or do you still have to skirt rules & lie?

I warned the original poster here that if he buys tickets now, the flights are sure to change in the interim. Sometimes changes require significant changes to plans, or I think they will offer to refund your money.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

That is a hilarious story about your wife, although I am sure it is not so hilarious for her. I feel her pain and I would have been right there with not paying the extra $5.00 I had 2 Early Returns agents tell me that our miles would be extended another 18 months because of the cancelled flights and the redepositing of the miles. I kept checking our accounts and of course no extension done. I called again and after being on hold another 2 hours they told me that it would take another 24-48 hours and it would be done. I checked after 72 hours and still not done. I called AGAIN and waited on hold forever AGAIN to be told this time that they would have a supervisor call me. After a week of waiting I called again and now they tell me that absolutely no way are they extending the miles expiration date! UNREAL!!! I am with your wife on the over the top frustration level with Frontier airlines! Sigh!!!!! I am happy to be flying the friendly skies with United but not happy about our free air tickets turning into $1500 air tickets! Sigh!
That blows. Another frontier story to join the rest. Wife gets absolutely rabid with hatred toward them, it's kind of amusing if it wasn't so out of character, anyone even mentions anything that sounds like frontier, like 'front door'... 'fruit', she hears it and immediately has to verbalize her hatred for them. She usually is pretty mellow with this sort of stuff, but frontier has really stuck a cord with her, well and a lot of other people are pissed too. I saw their consumer complaints have more than doubled in the last quarter.

We ended up with them over memorial day flying out of Mexico, the wife went on line to book the bags which is the 6th lowest version of what your bags will cost you on their multi-tiered baggage plan, website (as usual) blew up after repeated tries, she again had to contact them via phone, customer service couldn't complete the transaction over the phone but said they would 'put a note' in our file so when we arrived at the counter they would honor the internet check in pricing. Well of course arriving at the counter to fly home, you can imagine how it didn't go well, after 10 minutes they finally relented, wife was going to die first than pay them a penny more, but they dug their heels in on giving her the denver club or something she belongs to that gives you an addtional $5.00 discount on your bags, well, she wasn't having it and it was ugly and silly. All over $5.00, and this is the woman who will go order a $20 glass of wine with lunch. LOL. That five bucks just wasn't going to end up in their pocket. Something about them has people pissed and she was ready to swim home before giving them a penny more than they deserved. I found it humorous since she's just not that way, except I guess now when it comes to Frontier.:rofl3:

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 03:08 PM ----------

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 03:10 PM ----------

Last edited:
Oh and that Frontier flight looks like $315?? Are they cheapo or something and charge for lots of crap

I got that $315 airfare from IAD for $286 on latinofare.com for the week of Dec 6. Although I was in Coz in September, I saw this fare and couldn't turn it down. The only problem with the Frontier route is that it runs only on Saturdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom