Airfare Up There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TouchO'Gray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was all set to jump this week on the Orbitz promo code to go to FiestaAmericana (March 12-22), and the fare has bumped up by $400. I've tried deleting cookies, thinking excess search activity might spike fares, but that hasn't netted any change. Anyone else think March airfare to Coz is really high? Any tips for getting better fares with Orbitz (to take advantage of discount)? (ATL to CZM, 3/12-22). Thanks! tom

Atlanta to Cozumel has been high for the past year from what I have seen. Have not seen the $338 mentioned for a couple of years. We are doing Cancun and the puddle jumper or bag drag these days.

Especially the Delta direct. We seem to really be getting screwed these days. Sure do wish Airtran or Spirit would fly Atlanta to Cozumel. I got all excited last year when we did fly into and out of Cozumel. While we were waiting on our departing flight we saw an Airtran Jet land at the Cozumel airport. Never did see where the plane went but it was there. thought maybe a test flight or similar. I called Airtran when we got back to see if they were flying this route but was told no. Maybe someday.

We can fly Atlanta to Bonaire ($694) nonstop cheaper than Atlanta to non stopCozumel ($795). June dates.

Tried looking at my favorite- Sun Country- but they do not service Atlanta, unfortunately. But this is weird---from MSP to Coz is 650 bucks round trip per person in late march, but if you use their vacation service and tack on a 7 night stay (at the Plaza Cozumel, for example), the grand total for two people goes to slightly less that $1080! That's less than $540 per person, for air AND hotel. :idk: Go figure. I wonder if the vacation packages at any of the airlines out of Atlanta have similiar quirks? :confused: Woody

My prices were round trip from Raleigh NC on US Air.

There are fares out of Macon to Coz in March in the $480's if that helps you any.

Yeah, does look like air is up. I ran into a surprise booking Grand Canyon hotels for that week - all in the park full for our 2 nights desired. Could be a big year for spring break travel. :idk:

Clearing cookies is worthless anymore as the airlines now have devious programs to identify your computer and shopping by the browser you use, computer make & model, extensions; they are up with the CIA on this I tell ya. I can find articles if you'd like but just don't shop on an airline site. Shopping sites like Kayak.com/Sidestep.com have no reason to want to charge more as they don't get commissions, and I don't think Orbitz does - but Orbitz cannot book American now and Expedia is boycotting AA last I heard.

The best I see ATL-CZM, 3/12-22: $590 on AA, and that requires an overnight on return. Gawd I hate those! I also see $633 using USAir and one channel jump on AeroMexico - 6 hours going, 11-1/2 returning, yuck! And I did check other dates too. :(

Funny, you can drive to Chattanooga and take Delta for $411 & up, connecting ATL, 4-1/2 hrs going, 9-1/4 returning plus driving.

Spirit ATL to Cancun for $282 is possible, but for your dates it is $406. Must be the spring break crowd. Gawd $792 if you wanted to come back on the 19th - yeah, spring break.

Looking at air and hotel packages for one, wow - I've never seen Fiesta A that high. Other nice hotels for less anyway; other hotels I personally like for a lot less.

Yeah, you're screwed huh? :eyebrow:

Thanks, Dan. I appreciate your research and the reminder that, for now, I am screwed. Last night, I watched package rates at FA go from $1488 to $1811 within a 20-minute span (they were $1230-ish earlier in the week). Crazy. Spring break, jet fuel, unrest in Egypt... probably all contribute.

Personally, there are several other properties I'd prefer (SCC, BlueAngel) but my wife and fellow travelers prefer some semblance of a beach and a little distance from town. And we've liked the crew at Dive House before, so I'm okay with that.

Chattanooga is a possibility; thanks for that reminder. We've flown out of Birmingham before and while a PITA, the savings may merit the drive to TN. The bag drag from Cancun isn't worrisome. We actually looked at flying from ATL to Denver to Cancun (about the same fare) and getting a couple days of skiing in before diving. Gluttons.

Guess I'm not really screwed after all -- and grateful for the opportunity to enjoy 10 days off from work, no matter where. :) Again, thanks.

Orbitz is now showing $1,296 pp out of Chattanooga for your dates before entering the promo code.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom