Airport shuttle pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$50 will just about cover the round-trip costs of the bus and ferry, so saving $50 going into CUN is not a deal, that's break-even. $50 more to go straight into and out of CZM is an absolute no-brainer if other factors are equal (such as connections).

I can't imagine any realistic circumstances under which flying into CUN would get you to a hotel or house in Cozumel faster than flying into CZM would.

For $50 more, I agree with you. Last few years it has been closer to $200 more to fly into CZM.

The overall trip time won't be faster but it's easy to get to your destination earlier in the day doing the bag drag. There is one United flight there for me, arriving around 3:30pm. There are 7 or 8 flights into CUN arriving as early as 10am. Add 3 hours and I'm still there in time for an afternoon shore dive or enough pool time to get sunburned.

image.jpeg
Back to the original question. Current as of 19/09/18

For $50 more, I agree with you. Last few years it has been closer to $200 more to fly into CZM.

$50 was literally the fare difference in horn34's posting, so I guess some people can find that. $200 is right around where I might consider CUN, but usually after considering it I reject it anyway.

The overall trip time won't be faster but it's easy to get to your destination earlier in the day doing the bag drag.

Sure, though it isn't necessarily a lot earlier and the overall trip time is much longer, not just a little. If I have to be on the island for a morning or early afternoon appointment, the only way I can do that from New England is through CUN. I can often be at my house within 30 minutes of landing at CZM, but that's always shortly before 3 PM. I can get flights that arrive at CUN early enough that even adding 3 hours for bus and ferry I can be there a little earlier in the day. Unless I have such an obligation early in the day, it's worth a lot of money to me to avoid CUN.

Why the aversion to CUN? The journey is 3 hours longer (maybe less) and much of it is spent drinking a beer. Another advantage is that the only times I've been hassled by the arbitrary rules of security is CZM. CUN seems to operate like a major airport in the 1st world while CZM still operates like it's in a banana republic. Have they ditched the red/green light yet?

Why the aversion to CUN?
Arriving Cozumel means you're there.
Arriving Cancun means bus ride, tricycle porter & short hike to dock, ferry ride (some are severely bothered by that), another tricycle porter to get bags to street.

Returning is worse. Instead of a brief taxi to airport, it's taxi to dock, tricycle porter to boat, ferry ride, another tricycle porter, bus ride - plus all those chances to be delayed when you have to be at the airport ontime.

Certainly a $200 difference.

Oh, come on @DandyDon - you can shave a few pennies off of that :wink:

No comment about how much you pack, but if you can pack it you can haul it! Avoid the trikes and tote your own gear to and from the bus station and hotel.

Hell, I'm pushing 60 and I carry my own luggage from the ferry all the way to Casa Mexicana - you can do it :p:p:p

No comment about how much you pack, but if you can pack it you can haul it! Avoid the trikes and tote your own gear to and from the bus station and hotel.
Would you like a copy of my knee x-ray? Compression sleeves help some, and I can drag all of my 140# if I get a duffel with better wheels. I did some last trip, but my cheapest bag is on the verge of wheel failure. Even then tho, I don't want to try to drag it for several blocks.

Hell, I'm pushing 60 and I carry my own luggage from the ferry all the way to Casa Mexicana - you can do it
Ok youngster, and what size pony do you have in yours?

Youngster hell! I make a concerted effort to pump iron each and every day...makes those bags a tad easier to stack and drag! Plus having a 25 lb. backpack on my shoulders keeps me inbalance!

I don't need a bike or trike or any such thing. Git 'er done!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom